Gold Crown Barn Find

detroitfan0877

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Productive first day. I got the pedestals, runner and bal rack box prepped for spot prime and paint and also got the skirts primed. I hope to paint the pedestals and runner tomorrow.

48449881122_387bb4c70a_b.jpg

48449728201_20f24a7aa7_b.jpg

Can you explain the process you used to prepare everything to be ready to paint?
I imagine you sanded everything down. What grit did you use?
Thanks for everything.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you got a deal, I drove from TN to PA and back about a month and half a go for a GC 1 for a grand! it also has adjustable feet! the date of the casting should be on the bottom of the feet. I am taking my time on mine as I spoke with Glenn and will be adding metal braces under the sub frame, and mine also has the same rubber on the rails. My intent is to sand the sub frame and stain dark ( to match top rail looks) mine also has the brownstone slate! The one I bought came out of a closing down pool hall so it had lots of use and recovering, but right at the moment I cannot have the rubber redone and have not been able to devote much time, my wife just went through bilateral knee replacement so that has taken my time. Mine also came with a set of used top o the line Brunswick balls, 4 house cues, one looks to be an old school Duf along with 2 old school bridge sticks. Good luck with yours! As soon as my wife is home where I can take care of her here I plan to get back to work on mine.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you got a deal, I drove from TN to PA and back about a month and half a go for a GC 1 for a grand! it also has adjustable feet! the date of the casting should be on the bottom of the feet. I am taking my time on mine as I spoke with Glenn and will be adding metal braces under the sub frame, and mine also has the same rubber on the rails. My intent is to sand the sub frame and stain dark ( to match top rail looks) mine also has the brownstone slate! The one I bought came out of a closing down pool hall so it had lots of use and recovering, but right at the moment I cannot have the rubber redone and have not been able to devote much time, my wife just went through bilateral knee replacement so that has taken my time. Mine also came with a set of used top o the line Brunswick balls, 4 house cues, one looks to be an old school Duf along with 2 old school bridge sticks. Good luck with yours! As soon as my wife is home where I can take care of her here I plan to get back to work on mine.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip on the casting date!

Good luck with your table!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you explain the process you used to prepare everything to be ready to paint?
I imagine you sanded everything down. What grit did you use?
Thanks for everything.

Yes, I sanded everything down. I started with 120 followed by 180 using my DeWalt sander. Once everything is spot primed, I'll hit it with 220 by hand. It should be ready for paint after that.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How do you decode the casting numbers?

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have already polished and reinstalled but on mine it had a month dat and year I believe or at least the year! Glenn might be able to correct if I am wrong! Also I have added the bearing plate and working on the nail feet as mine will be on carpet in an upstairs game room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have already polished and reinstalled but on mine it had a month date and year I believe or at least the year! Glenn might be able to correct if I am wrong! Also I have added the bearing plate and working on the nail feet as mine will be on carpet in an upstairs game room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the older brother of Rexus' table. Thrilled with the find. Can't wait to have it all put together. The attached pics will answer some of the questions. Looks like the feet on mine (adjustable) were marked 1963!

You can see mine was redone a few more times than Rexus', but still amazing condition for a 56-year-old table.

Also note the figure 8 hardware on my rails, unlike the other table.

Brunstone, if I'm not mistaken (based on what RKC said).

gc1.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You are out of your mind, if you think that this isn't slate:

Can you see that dark black vein running across the top piece, have you EVER seen those black veins running across ANY slates?? They're sticker board veins, used to separate the pieces after they've been cut for drying purposes. NO SLATES HAVE THEM!!

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Nice table, thanks for posting all the pics and taking us through this.

This thread has me kicking myself for not picking up a Gold Crown last year on CL for $500.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got quite a bit done this weekend. For the most part, the pedestals, runner and ball rack are ready for paint. I need to spot fill and prime a couple areas on the pedestals then I'll be shooting color. I also primed the plastic skirts and they are ready for paint as well. This will most likely happen next week due to my work schedule this coming week.

48463481371_2a824e9e08_b.jpg

48449728201_20f24a7aa7_b.jpg

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The GC1&2's were the most functional and beautiful tables ever made IMO. Their space age look is often called Googie Art. So if I do the math correctly those tables are about 55 years old and will play like a brand new table once reconditioned. They will stand the test of time for many more years to come. All you need now is an unused set of Centenials from the same period and those Bowling Alley twin seat attached chairs to go along with those tables. What a find, congrats.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Can you see that dark black vein running across the top piece, have you EVER seen those black veins running across ANY slates?? They're sticker board veins, used to separate the pieces after they've been cut for drying purposes. NO SLATES HAVE THEM!!

You are mistaken.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The GC1&2's were the most functional and beautiful tables ever made IMO. Their space age look is often called Googie Art. So if I do the math correctly those tables are about 55 years old and will play like a brand new table once reconditioned. They will stand the test of time for many more years to come. All you need now is an unused set of Centenials from the same period and those Bowling Alley twin seat attached chairs to go along with those tables. What a find, congrats.

Thanks, Jerry! I'll have to have you and Dave over once the table is setup. I estimate early September which should give Steve plenty of time to do the rail work and me time to complete the restoration and build a matching light.