Why would a 'junk' cue play better than an expensive one?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know if its true or not, but I heard Efren Reyes won a tournament with a cheap cue.
@OP, maybe you reached a skill point where you can play consistently irregardless of cue and equipment.
I hope you're right.
Consistency has always been foremost in my mind.
Thank you for responding.
:thumbup:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very good player can play very good with any cue that weighs between 18 and 21 oz. is reasonably straight, has a reasonably smooth shaft and a tip that is shaped well enough to accept and hold chalk and also deliver spin to the cue at a reasonable level. Everything else is in your head in terms of the cue's actual effect on your game.
This 'junk cue' just feels better...it makes no sense.
I haven't played with anything but that Predator 314 since around 1995 so I really have no frame of reference.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue's, on a functional level, aren't exactly marvels of modern technology... first cousins to the broom handle.
I was thinking along mechanical lines about this 'junk cue'.
I don't know how advanced cue technology has become in over 20 years...(I just know the prices are to the moon).
I was curious as to whether even the 'junk cues' played real good nowadays due to the advancements in making them.

I have a Predator 314 that I bought back around 1995,I guess. Played with it since then.
I bought (for three dollars) a "Championship" cheap cue at a yard sale the other day just to break with.
I put an Elk Master tip on it (I like the 'soft' hit of the Elk Master and always have) and started hitting balls with it. I was flabbergasted.
For some reason, unknown to me, this piece of cheap junk cue gets a better hit and is playing MUCH better than that first class Predator I've had for years.
(I rehearse at home on an old 9 foot Gandy with pockets shimmed up to 4 1/4. I'm not a big time player...in the old Busch leagues of the 90's, I was rated a 7)
I took the three dollar "Championship" cue out for the acid test at a cheap local 8-ball tournament last night and never missed a called ball in 8 games. As usual, I got out of line on the 8 ball almost every time, but still drilled it straight into the hole. ???
Makes absolutely no sense to me.:confused:
Can someone offer an opinion on how this can be?
Thanks in advance.

I tried outba $50 (retail value) cue from the Philippines around 15 years ago, and it felt like the best hitting cue that I had ever played with. To me, it just had an amazing feel, very well balanced, and had a really great hit with great feedback.

It is just one of those rare occasions when you pick up a cue and it feels perfect, like it was made for you.

The price or quality does not have to matter at all times.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because it is a cheap production cue doesn't mean it isn't a good cue. I believe the biggest difference between cheap and custom is consistency and the care taken to age the wood properly etc.
That certainly makes good sense to me.
A few more events where I'm under pressure and feeling the heat will reveal whether it's the mechanical aspects of the pool stick or not.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried outba $50 (retail value) cue from the Philippines around 15 years ago, and it felt like the best hitting cue that I had ever played with. To me, it just had an amazing feel, very well balanced, and had a really great hit with great feedback.
It is just one of those rare occasions when you pick up a cue and it feels perfect, like it was made for you.
The price or quality does not have to matter at all times.
This 'junk cue' feels great................as you say, like it was made for me.
It won't take long to find out. There's some guys right now gunning for me.

Your expectations with a cheap cue are much less, so you are more relaxed about it when you're playing. You play better when relaxed. The key is whether this is temporary or not.

All the best,
WW

Good point, but i do not think that is the reason. Not just any cheap junk cue will feel amazing to you, just because it is cheap and you feel more relaxed when using it. The only times I was not relaxed with a cue i was using was when it was an expensive cue, and it did not belong to me. I do not feel relaxed when using other peoples cues, but feel just fine with it if I own it. Also never felt relaxed when playing for more money then i could afford to lose.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With replying to every single comment, and the join date ,
Plus the original postBrags/asshat/8ballr is back
I do not understand.
Is there something "wrong" with just being polite?
I won't 'apologize' for just having good manners.
These people took time to type their opinions.....I appreciate that.

My couple of "expensive" cues don't play as well because it's in my mind not to ding, scratch, or scuff them in any way. My "cheap" cues, well, I just rare back and play the game, and play it much better with my mind clear of 'babying' the cue!

If you cant feel relaxed when using a cue that you own, then it is nothing more then a piece of expensive art to you. Seems pointless to own an expensive cue that you do not really enjoy playing with.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could it be the difference in the "squirt" factor?
Predator ld shaft vs a "standard" shaft.......
just the most obvious thing I thought of. (Plus that hasn't been brought up yet)

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
somewhere there's a quote
somewhat vaguely saying that making a good cue happens often and a great cue is an accident. don't agree completely with that but......

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could it be the difference in the "squirt" factor?
Predator ld shaft vs a "standard" shaft.......
just the most obvious thing I thought of. (Plus that hasn't been brought up yet)
I don't know about that.
I use such a small amount of spin that I don't think it's an issue. This affects my position on some shots but I'd rather stay at the table and whack at that next ball. (I watch SVB doing his magic and also some of those Asian women...and I'm amazed.)
I did have the opportunity to talk to SVB in between matches over at that recent tournament in Spartanburg SC, and he was polite enough to show me that he barely gets off center with his tip and that cue ball does it's dance. I'm thinking it's in that beautiful stroke of his.
I'm going down to the pool table in a little while and shoot some of those long cut shots where you have to load the white ball up with low inside to keep from scratching and see what happens using the junk cue. (That Predator will sometime miss the whole ball.)
The amount of just plain 'side', as the brits call it, is very, very, minimum in my game.
Thank you for responding....it's something that needs to be examined.

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you cant feel relaxed when using a cue that you own, then it is nothing more then a piece of expensive art to you. Seems pointless to own an expensive cue that you do not really enjoy playing with.
You're absolutely right Justin. It's my Rick Howard. I would probably sell the cue LOCALLY or in person. I'm leery about sending it off though. I have a 4 or 5 other cues that ALL play great and I'm at ease using them anywhere!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
A very good player can play very good with any cue that weighs between 18 and 21 oz. is reasonably straight, has a reasonably smooth shaft and a tip that is shaped well enough to accept and hold chalk and also deliver spin to the cue at a reasonable level. Everything else is in your head in terms of the cue's actual effect on your game.

Now where's that dang "thumbs-up/like" button?