TALCUM POWDER on rails question.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Had a situation on a bar table where opponent placed hand talc on the 8 corner rails inches from the pockets.
I tested the 90 degree affects and there is a change of cue-ball direction.
Anyone know other affects talc has in this situation?
Discussing cheating is a moot point, we know it is.

THANKS

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Also factor in temperature, speed, and density: :smile:

this-is-how-a-complicated-math-equation-looks-like-but-this-new-one-looks-quite-simple-and-people-1.jpg

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what you are saying here?
By him putting talc on the rails, does the object ball slide into the pocket better?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was he rubbing talc on the nose of the cushions near the corner pockets?

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Was he rubbing talc on the nose of the cushions near the corner pockets?

Ya, seen the fingers wrap around top. NOSE and bottom. Really obvious, 8 places. Dude had to go back and reload his hand for consistency.
Then another player loaded up the cue ball with powder.

For me, I usually impart some % of throw for most shots. Powdered cue ball would be my issue but powder on the rail nose at the corner pockets begets slide and negates any imparted spin so ball goes in with less rattle outs.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ya, seen the fingers wrap around top. NOSE and bottom. Really obvious, 8 places. Dude had to go back and reload his hand for consistency.
Then another player loaded up the cue ball with powder.
Well, talc on the cue ball is going to get you a lot of skids. One of the worst experiences I ever had was against an opponent who sweated like a rain forest. He covered his hands with talc which quickly turned into talc mud. After he racked the balls one time you could count on skids and cling. In retrospect, I should have cleaned the balls and refused to let him touch them.

I'm guessing that your guy was trying to screw up the conditions on purpose to mess with you. Talc on the cushions may make them stickier and cause a lot more balls to hang.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I know the object ball "Powder Cakes", seen a few.

Oddley I brought this to the league operator and so far he's planning on doing nothing. This tells the cheaters it's OK to keep cheating. :frown:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know the object ball "Powder Cakes", seen a few.

Oddley I brought this to the league operator and so far he's planning on doing nothing. This tells the cheaters it's OK to keep cheating. :frown:
I guess you have to bring a handi-vac and some towels to those matches. If they can make the equipment dirty, you can make it clean.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How big of an advantage is this really?

I get if it's on a diamond table with tight pockets. If it's on a valley barbox with league pockets, the effect seems negligible (no clue though). Like you'll get skids, but you'll both skids. Shouldn't it even out? Won't their balls hang up just as much? If you clean the cueball before you shoot (if you have ball in hand), or before you break and run, technically wouldn't that favour you because they will be playing with a dirty cue ball more often.

I think the biggest advantage they'd have is when the ball skids for either of you, they'll be less upset. Sure it's slimy, but excluding how it effects you mentally. It seems not very effective.

I'd have to know more about both people's skill levels, the equipment, the format etc. Unless there's a specific way to play that they've practiced to make the ball go without sticking, or to skid less, it doesn't seem like a big deal. But, I've never been in that situation, so I don't know.

I think you should bring a towel and some talc of your own. Clean the ball before you shoot, and not even remotely subtely roll it around in a mountain of talc before you hand them a powdered donut. Or just go full chaos mode and put powdered talc everywhere. Play "It's a winter wonderland" on your phone. I wanna see snow angels and cueball trails. See if your league operator still wants to allow talc in his room after it looks like a scene from Scarface.

No one should have talc. Get a glove or wash your hands. Ruin it for everyone, that stuff is cancer.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Did you say anything to him?

Of course I said something to the LO...as did our capt.
LO claims he tested it but he sees no change. That tells me he didn't test it, we did and their is a noticeable direction change.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I guess you have to bring a handi-vac and some towels to those matches. If they can make the equipment dirty, you can make it clean.

Handi-vac? No, I did what I could by hand to remove that powder, tho what was rubbed in the cloth remained.
As I did that that, the silence & looks I got...EEE-Yow.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
How big of an advantage is this really?

I get if it's on a diamond table with tight pockets. If it's on a valley barbox with league pockets, the effect seems negligible (no clue though). Like you'll get skids, but you'll both skids. Shouldn't it even out? Won't their balls hang up just as much? If you clean the cueball before you shoot (if you have ball in hand), or before you break and run, technically wouldn't that favour you because they will be playing with a dirty cue ball more often.

I think the biggest advantage they'd have is when the ball skids for either of you, they'll be less upset. Sure it's slimy, but excluding how it effects you mentally. It seems not very effective.

I'd have to know more about both people's skill levels, the equipment, the format etc. Unless there's a specific way to play that they've practiced to make the ball go without sticking, or to skid less, it doesn't seem like a big deal. But, I've never been in that situation, so I don't know.

I think you should bring a towel and some talc of your own. Clean the ball before you shoot, and not even remotely subtely roll it around in a mountain of talc before you hand them a powdered donut. Or just go full chaos mode and put powdered talc everywhere. Play "It's a winter wonderland" on your phone. I wanna see snow angels and cueball trails. See if your league operator still wants to allow talc in his room after it looks like a scene from Scarface.

No one should have talc. Get a glove or wash your hands. Ruin it for everyone, that stuff is cancer.

You make it sound as if you support cheating. 😡
Pool tables are made to SPECS. Changing it and knowing what team or personal advantage that it gets you, or disadvantages to the opponent, is cheating.
They know I'm an astute cue ball control player, so they knew what to do change that outcome.
...ANYWAYS...
I seen it, I dealt with it, I said nothing but there was residue left in the cloth.
I held my respect even after I lost due to a missed 8 Ball bank. I've been a capt, a coach and a LO, no way will an opponent get my goat. I deal with things, like this, in a mature manor and go through the proper steps.
The OLD DAYS of cuestick nunchucks is LONG GONE... I hope.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You stuff his head inside the side pocket and use a damp paper towel to remove the blood and talc.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Of course I said something to the LO...as did our capt.
LO claims he tested it but he sees no change. That tells me he didn't test it, we did and their is a noticeable direction change.

Wow - really sorry to hear about you getting screwed over like this. I don't know if there's a way to take it higher up - but I'd be curious to see if there is a process to do so.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Putting powder on the cueball or the rails to change how they play should get this team ejected from any decently run league, if they do that, you can't trust them not to try to cheat in other ways. It does not matter that the LO said there was no change, the fact that it was done to try to do something clearly shady should be enough.

I've seen some pretty messed up tables due to people abusing powder but don't think I ran across anyone that tried to cheat using it. It will affect quite a bit, even if the rails were OK, the balls hitting the powder will pick up powder and start playing funny. It would also reduce friction on the cloth and make spin not take as well, and would very likely change the angle of rebound.

Last edited:

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
The current LO knows I was a LO in the past and I also inform any player (who asks) I take no sides and will kick out any team after the proper "talking to" does not good. I had no qualms over kicking out a blood relative of Pres. Kennedy.