Does pool need or want Hypebeasts?

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brought to you by the fine folks at McDermott and Supreme.

fa0f3a8bbca82311b1b4813537450c9b.jpg

https://hypebeast.com/2019/5/supreme-mcdermott-pool-cue-teaser-video-drop

I don’t think this is going to bring any new players to the game but if it does then you can rest assured they’ll have lots of “disposable” income.

Good or bad? Discuss

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why not..I'm sure there would be disadvantages, but I say let the trend play out, maybe pool will get some players out of the deal.
I like pool gritty and underground, but I also want folks to have the option to know about the game, and find out for themselves how great a game it is-

that pic is hilarious tho:D

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Many a player started out with a McDermott, many still play with them years later. My first three cues were McDermott D-series cues, they played jam up. Anything that gets someone in the door as a "serious" player is a good thing.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Those links don't work for me but I did a Google and found a few articles. I read few but still don't know what Supreme is. Is it shoes, clothes, a musician or an energy drink?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably get laughed at by an APA 3 when they break out a supreme stick.

Maybe it will become this generation’s Budweiser cue. Although let’s be real no one who is willing to pay several hundred dollars premium for a Supreme graphic on a pool cue isn’t going to actually use it.

If I got one I’d wait till they’re sold out then put it on eBay for triple the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those links don't work for me but I did a Google and found a few articles. I read few but still don't know what Supreme is. Is it shoes, clothes, a musician or an energy drink?

you're not alone in that. then again i still don't understand the concept of social media influencers..

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Never thought I’d see these two worlds collide.

I’ve never bought anything Supreme but I follow what they do a little and I have a family a quantance who buys/sells Supreme as a side business.

Without the context of what Supreme is and what they do this probably seems really stupid. But, if this can get some young Hypebeasts thinking pool is cool then I’ll take it. Supreme is a pretty influential brand among a certain demographic of young people so it can’t hurt.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Supreme is an American skateboarding shop and clothing brand established in New York City in April 1994. The brand caters to the skateboarding, hip hop, and rock cultures, as well as to the youth culture in general. The brand produces clothes and accessories and also manufactures skateboards.

Pool needs youngsters to stay around. This may help that cause!!

Some of the oldline activities are coming back....have you noticed?

Bowling, not just on TV.

Axe throwing....wtf I know right. There is an Axe throwing place and a league here in Austin.

Old school pinball machines are showing up in many places.

Cornhole..again..wtf.

Traditional board games in bars that sell beer and food.

Ping pong is becoming a thing again with purpose built ping pong places serving good food and beer.

Pool leagues are getting stronger.

All of this to me shows a small turn towards old line activities. It also is good for pool in the future I hope too.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
It can't hurt the pool world, can it?

Besides the red tables, I see nothing wrong with it! LOL

Hype it up!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats. You just won "Lamest Thread of the Year" award. Til now anyway. I'm sure this will be topped.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's a label that gets stuck on slightly above average stuff which then gets the price tripled or more due to that label. Then since it's "rare", people resell that stuff for double what they paid for it.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
My son, who follows Supreme, said he has no doubt that the cues will sell out. Funny how a skateboard shop can promote pool better than a pool shop.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I think it’s good. Pool needs younger folk thinking it’s cool. So big money, tattoos, hot girls, struttin and barkin...and whatever supreme is.. all these things will probably do pool some good.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how much is this mc dermott

what is the catch
i don't understand what this is all about

but i like the looks of the cue