Mental game after someone puts a 4 pack on you?!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I knew what this all meant! I'm new to (serious) pool, and I don't know the lingo.

Saratoga is 8 ball but you run the balls before the 8 in order.
5 ahead race is play continues until one person is 5 full games ahead of the other.

2 pack is two break and runs in a row.

Weight is giving the other player some advantage.
One guy goes to 3 the other to 5 etc.
The two game advantage is the " weight"

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saratoga is 8 ball but you run the balls before the 8 in order.
5 ahead race is play continues until one person is 5 full games ahead of the other.

2 pack is two break and runs in a row.

Weight is giving the other player some advantage.
One guy goes to 3 the other to 5 etc.
The two game advantage is the " weight"

Thanks very much!

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I knew what this all meant! I'm new to (serious) pool, and I don't know the lingo.

Sure buddy, not gonna be the ahole who sends you googling. Saratoga = rotation 8-ball. Diamond barbox = high quality 7’ table. Flip = coin flip for the break. 5 ahead = whoever is ahead by 5 games wins, i.e. 5-0, 36-31, 8-3. 2 pack = break and run followed by another break and run, in other words I don’t get to shoot for 2 games in a row. Kicked = kick shot. Sold out = he could see his ball after my miss. There was an out = the way the balls layed on the table I had a very high percentage chance to play offense and finish the game without letting him back to the table. Didnt get out = missed or fouled. Weight = handicap, i.e. giving me the breaks or 1 game on the wire or he has to bank the money ball, etc.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure buddy, not gonna be the ahole who sends you googling. Saratoga = rotation 8-ball. Diamond barbox = high quality 7’ table. Flip = coin flip for the break. 5 ahead = whoever is ahead by 5 games wins, i.e. 5-0, 36-31, 8-3. 2 pack = break and run followed by another break and run, in other words I don’t get to shoot for 2 games in a row. Kicked = kick shot. Sold out = he could see his ball after my miss. There was an out = the way the balls layed on the table I had a very high percentage chance to play offense and finish the game without letting him back to the table. Didnt get out = missed or fouled. Weight = handicap, i.e. giving me the breaks or 1 game on the wire or he has to bank the money ball, etc.

That's great, thanks! I did try googling, but it would have taken a while to sort this all out.

Thanks,

jv

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Archer put up an 11 pack on Bustamante to run out the set Bustamante asked Archer to double the bet and if I remember the story correctly Bustamante won the next 2 sets.

I suppose it depends on you skill level. If someone opened with a 10 pack on me I'd quit because no amount of weight would overcome that.

Ive come back from 8 - 0 going to 9.

He didnt put a 8 pack though.

He put a 4 pack, broke dry....safety battle that he won and ran out...score 5-0.

He then ran 3 more to make it 8-0.

All that and i got one shot.

He broke dry in 9th game, i put 3 together and broke dry....safety battle but, i won this one....8 - 4

I didn't run another rack but still won the set.

It turned out my safeties were a little more consistent as well as, my kicking.

His name was Bobby Pickle (RIP).

EDIT:

Am i correct about Bobby's passing?

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
That’s a famous story, I heard that one years ago, always assumed it was true.

I forget who it was, but someone I trust ( cause I made a mental note that it was verified ) told me they were there and Archer really did put a 13 on him and Busti really did say double the bet. And Archer really did say, ummm... no. What the sets were worth and how many they played I don't know for sure.

I mean seriously... just how F'ING strong would it be to put **13** on someone and have them say double the bet. Just wow...

Those Filipinos... man.

Back in the mid 80s not long after they got here, Efren had just busted some American superstar ( don't remember who it was ) and the guy's staker said to Efren's staker "Man, I wish I had a million dollars." and The Filipino says ""Me too!"

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to ice him, by requesting a bathroom break.

When they go to the bathroom on me ,or any of the other two hundred year old "moves" people make, I go get a sandwich, then when they think I am coming back, I go and take a crap and then when they are sure I am coming back I go around the room and shoot the breeze with anyone who will listen, for about half an hour, and I never have to deal with it from them again.
Either they don't play ,or they become gentlemen, out of necessity.
If you are in a hurry , you have a good chance to be a victim.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to ice him, by requesting a bathroom break.

In my case, if you take a restroom break, ill be glad cause then i would finally get to sit down and rest my back, legs and feet.

Take all the time you want.

With most players, it would give the desired outcome.

Then again, not with me but, most may never play you again....just depends.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gonna have to slug back, take the air away.

That said, I can't recall ever putting a 3+ pack on anyone and losing same set in a tournament.

You don't I want to start from there every set.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby pickle is dead? I guess I missed that

Where was he when he died?

Ive come back from 8 - 0 going to 9.

He didnt put a 8 pack though.

He put a 4 pack, broke dry....safety battle that he won and ran out...score 5-0.

He then ran 3 more to make it 8-0.

All that and i got one shot.

He broke dry in 9th game, i put 3 together and broke dry....safety battle but, i won this one....8 - 4

I didn't run another rack but still won the set.

It turned out my safeties were a little more consistent as well as, my kicking.

His name was Bobby Pickle (RIP).

EDIT:

Am i correct about Bobby's passing?

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
In my case, if you take a restroom break, ill be glad cause then i would finally get to sit down and rest my back, legs and feet.

Take all the time you want.

With most players, it would give the desired outcome.

Then again, not with me but, most may never play you again....just depends.

The bathroom break isn't just to ice your opponent. It's to help you relax a bit too.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby pickle is dead? I guess I missed that

Where was he when he died?

I was at goodtimez in Huntsville Alabama a few months ago and over heard some fellows talking about him. One of them said he had passed. I ask when, how, all the common questions but, he didn't know.

Like you, a friend of mine that (use to) knows him well but, said he hasn't heard from him in about 20 or more years, said he didn't hear about it either. I then called a couple old friends that also knew him qnd they said the same....."ive not heard anything about that".

When i posted my comment, immediately thought, i better edit and make sure.

Maybe someone in the "know" will chime in.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like all competitive sports, learn to play in the moment. If you’re in a bad game, you’re in a bad game. It shouldn’t affect how you play.

Guy puts 4 on you in a race to 5 and you know you can’t answer, you’re in a bad game. Ask for weight. I would.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like all competitive sports, learn to play in the moment. If you’re in a bad game, you’re in a bad game. It shouldn’t affect how you play.

Guy puts 4 on you in a race to 5 and you know you can’t answer, you’re in a bad game. Ask for weight. I would.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

We’re both capable of a two pack but nearly a 4 wasnt supposed to happen shooting saratoga. He was just on. Great advice and reminders from everyone.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I’m playing a set against someone I know I have a chance of winning it doesn’t bother me to lose one set. Down 4-0 I will still try to win from there but if I lose I’m only down one set. I just try to make some balls and get going. I can win the next set and be even. One 4 pack might win the set but will it win the marathon?

Another thing just act like it no big deal like what Busty did. Let them think I just ran a 4 pack on this guy and he still wants to play.

I was at a tournament practicing and a guy came up and ask me to gamble and I said No Thanks I don’t gamble. He said why not I haven’t seen you miss a ball. I was thinking he still wants to play after saying that I hadn’t missed a ball. Hmmmmm.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If a guy breaks outta the gate fast with a 4-pack....
...you go into the ‘ghost playing mode’.....if you miss, you lose
...and if you lose, it’s not the end of the world...you knew you would lose some, right?

A pool player who can’t take a loss is like a boxer who can’t take a punch

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While my experience in league cannot compare to what the title of the thread is about the mental aspect is the same .

I have been down 3-0 in a 4-4 race and came back and won it.

Once in a 9 ball money tournament under the apa scorekeeping system I was down 35-15 in a 38-38 race and won 38-37 scoring 23 points to my opponents 2.

At Vegas nationals I was a 5 and faced a 7 in 9 ball . He won the lag and put up a break and run. Second rack he broke and ran all the way to the 9 which he wound up froze against and missed. I was down 18-0 before I ever got to the table. Once I started shooting I scored 37 points to his 37 and lost only needing 1 point to win the match. Although I lost I was very happy with my level of play vs a 7.

Although its easier said than done its all about completely disregarding what your opponent does....his handicap....the score and just play what the table gives you when its your turn. many times I have failed to do what I just stated and lost badly. some times no matter how well you played your opponent played better and it was just his day. I learned to live with those type of losses but I still hate losing when its due to my poor play.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a 10 pack...……….

1. Take bathroom break.
2. Take 30 practice strokes.
3. Get up after practice strokes, walk around table to get a different view of shot.
4. Repeat number 2.
5. Repeat number 3.
6. Play a very good safety. :)