FargoRate Top Woman in the World is 679. Why?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Touché :)

I would LOVE to see less "this PPV stream isn't working" posts myself.
I definitely don't make them because I enjoy it :/

Yeah fair enough, I am just a little allergic to seeing NPR politics creep into the discussion,
I've heard more than my fill about the red menace.

Now, you may believe this and you may not, but I had no idea you had one of those threads on the main page. DOH! My apologies good sir, I'll be over here trying to hey this size 13 out my mouth!:eek:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In these other countries pool is looked at as more of a viable sport and kids probably have more opportunities for introduction and proper training.

America is still, sure, the greatest place in the milky way, of course but we're behind in the pool world. Yet everyone wants to come play here.

Not only is it a viable sport in China, but it is a career with good prospects relative to the average income per capita there, which is about 1/4 of that in America.

FYI, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Income per capita in the US is about 62,000. Including money earned from sponsorship deals, you can count the number of American players that exceed this figure on the fingers of one hand, and it is impossible to win this amount in a single tournament.

Income per capital in China is about 16,000. Haitao Yu, when he won the Chinese 8-ball Masters earlier this year, won $147,234 which is over 9 times his country's income per capita.

Of course, American performance in the last three huge, internationally diverse, events has been terrible.

International 9-ball Open
Skyler (3rd place), SVB (4th place), and Justin Bergman (7th place) were the only Americans finishing in the top 16

Word 9-ball Championship, Dec 2018
SVB (3rd place) and Corey Deuel (5th place) were the only two Americans reaching stage 2, meaning final 16

US Open 9-ball Championship
SVB (9th place) was the one American reaching Stage 2, meaning final 16.

America just isn't holding it's own in the big international events, not even the ones contested on American soil.

The good news is that, in 2019, the American pool calendar added three additional WPA sanctioned events in a) the International 9-ball, b) the World 10-ball Championship, and c) the WPA Players Championship. Top Americans now have more opportunities to compete with the world's most elite players than they've had in many years. I, for one, believe this will raise the pedigree of the top Americans.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great points, and I agree. But here is a question that came up last year before Mosconi, and I would love to see your thoughts... what countries (not continents) do you think could field a 6 man team that would be heavy favorites over a team consisting of svb, Thorpe, styer, woodward, bergman, and duel in 9 ball.. and who would be the 6 players? Maybe the pinoys and Chinese, but would they be heavy favorites? ( I get that tourneys are not team- based events...just a hypothetical)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
"Need" has nothing to do with it. And I haven't seen anyone be negative here. It is perfectly reasonable to examine factors that can influence when a country is dominant at a certain activity.

Besides, last I checked, this is a discussion forum, and how many threads on Revos or non working ppv streams do we need? I think this is a great thread... I wish there were more like it.

I hit with a Revo for the first time today. I didn't want to like it, but I did.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only is it a viable sport in China, but it is a career with good prospects relative to the average income per capita there, which is about 1/4 of that in America.

FYI, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Income per capita in the US is about 62,000. Including money earned from sponsorship deals, you can count the number of American players that exceed this figure on the fingers of one hand, and it is impossible to win this amount in a single tournament.

Income per capital in China is about 16,000. Haitao Yu, when he won the Chinese 8-ball Masters earlier this year, won $147,234 which is over 9 times his country's income per capita.

Of course, American performance in the last three huge, internationally diverse, events has been terrible.

International 9-ball Open
Skyler (3rd place), SVB (4th place), and Justin Bergman (7th place) were the only Americans finishing in the top 16

Word 9-ball Championship, Dec 2018
SVB (3rd place) and Corey Deuel (5th place) were the only two Americans reaching stage 2, meaning final 16

US Open 9-ball Championship
SVB (9th place) was the one American reaching Stage 2, meaning final 16.

America just isn't holding it's own in the big international events, not even the ones contested on American soil.

The good news is that, in 2019, the American pool calendar added three additional WPA sanctioned events in a) the International 9-ball, b) the World 10-ball Championship, and c) the WPA Players Championship. Top Americans now have more opportunities to compete with the world's most elite players than they've had in many years. I, for one, believe this will raise the pedigree of the top Americans.
SJM, just curious if you know how much of their winnings the mainland players get to keep? Is there a tiered tax-rate like here in US i wonder?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SJM, just curious if you know how much of their winnings the mainland players get to keep? Is there a tiered tax-rate like here in US i wonder?

Wow, great question. I scanned an internet article on the subject and I hope I understood it. They do have a tiered tax rate schedule like America. The income tax is, if I understood correctly, is just a little lower in China than here in America.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, great question. I scanned an internet article on the subject and I hope I understood it. They do have a tiered tax rate schedule like America. The income tax is, if I understood correctly, is just a little lower in China than here in America.
Looks like it goes from 3 to 45%. You get some exemptions so it does work kinda like here.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great points, and I agree. But here is a question that came up last year before Mosconi, and I would love to see your thoughts... what countries (not continents) do you think could field a 6 man team that would be heavy favorites over a team consisting of svb, Thorpe, styer, woodward, bergman, and duel in 9 ball.. and who would be the 6 players? Maybe the pinoys and Chinese, but would they be heavy favorites? ( I get that tourneys are not team- based events...just a hypothetical)

Wow! You sure ask a tough question here, but I'll take a shot.

Probably only Taiwan and the Philippines would be heavily favored. I'll take a guess at who'd be found on these teams.

Taiwan
Ko Ping Chung, Ko Pin Yi, JL Chang, YL Chang, Kevin Cheng, Yang Chin Shun

Philippines
Denis Orcullo, Jeff DeLuna, Johan Chua, James Aranas, Jeff Ignacio, Ray Faraon

Noone else is heavily favored over the American team you propose.

The Netherlands could put together a strong team that would have a close match with the US, in Niels Feijen, Marc Bijsterbosch, Marco Teutscher, Tim DeRuyter, Alex Lely, Ivo Aarts.

Austria could field a dangerous six in Albin Ouschan, Mario He, Maximilian Lechner, Vincent Gomez, Jasmin Ouschan ... ouch, I can't come up with a sixth one, so let's go with John Q "straight shooting" Austrian.

Great Britain could produce a solid six of Imran Majid, Jayson Shaw, Chris Melling, Darren Appleton, Mark Gray, Benji Buckley.

Shout out to a country that is showing huge progress and that would be Poland. They could field a team of Wojciech Szewczyk, Radoslaw Babica, Mateuz Sniegocki, Mieszko Fortunski, Tomasz Kaplan, Konrad Juszczyszyn. Such a team would have a fighting chance against all countries but the Philippines and Taiwan. The fine performance of the Polish players of late is one of pool's great untold stories.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! You sure ask a tough question here, but I'll take a shot.

Probably only Taiwan and the Philippines would be heavily favored. I'll take a guess at who'd be found on these teams.

Taiwan
Ko Ping Chung, Ko Pin Yi, JL Chang, YL Chang, Kevin Cheng, Yang Chin Shun

Philippines
Denis Orcullo, Jeff DeLuna, Johan Chua, James Aranas, Jeff Ignacio, Ray Faraon

Noone else is heavily favored over the American team you propose.

The Netherlands could put together a strong team that would have a close match with the US, in Niels Feijen, Marc Bijsterbosch, Marco Teutscher, Tim DeRuyter, Alex Lely, Ivo Aarts.

Austria could field a dangerous six in Albin Ouschan, Mario He, Maximilian Lechner, Vincent Gomez, Jasmin Ouschan ... ouch, I can't come up with a sixth one, so let's go with John Q "straight shooting" Austrian.

Great Britain could produce a solid six of Imran Majid, Jayson Shaw, Chris Melling, Darren Appleton, Mark Gray, Benji Buckley.

Shout out to a country that is showing huge progress and that would be Poland. They could field a team of Wojciech Szewczyk, Radoslaw Babica, Mateuz Sniegocki, Mieszko Fortunski, Tomasz Kaplan, Konrad Juszczyszyn. Such a team would have a fighting chance against all countries but the Philippines and Taiwan. The fine performance of the Polish players of late is one of pool's great untold stories.
Whoever is teachin' the Poles is doin' it right. The ones i've watched don't mess around and play with a nice rhythm-n-flow. Lotta good players coming out of there no doubt.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per various advantages of state or cultural imperatives in the development of women's sports capabilities: Other countries tend to denigrate or even forbid women participation in things like soccer. US does not promote women in pool at all. But US soccer team kicks world ash because of the famous/infamous? soccer mom culture. Let's try that with billiards. :^)

RTX6WMDZ_vzsuio

smt

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per various advantages of state or cultural imperatives in the development of women's sports capabilities: Other countries tend to denigrate or even forbid women participation in things like soccer. US does not promote women in pool at all. But US soccer team kicks world ash because of the famous/infamous? soccer mom culture. Let's try that with billiards. :^)

RTX6WMDZ_vzsuio

smt
It would be nice to see minivans, Volvo wagons and RangeRovers outside the poolhall but i'm not holdin' my breath. ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Whoever is teachin' the Poles is doin' it right. The ones i've watched don't mess around and play with a nice rhythm-n-flow. Lotta good players coming out of there no doubt.

Agreed. What's unusual, though, is that (unless Russia is counted) no Eastern European nation has ever produced many, if any, top pro pool players. The Poles are doing it right .... I just wonder what it is that they're doing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed. What's unusual, though, is that (unless Russia is counted) no Eastern European nation has ever produced many, if any, top pro pool players. The Poles are doing it right .... I just wonder what it is that they're doing.
I believe they have pool in school. In the US the only way most children are exposed to pool is in a family rec room where there is no one who knows how to play well or can give pointers on good technique. I think Taiwan also offers pool in school.

As for the Eastern Europeans other than RUS and POL, Kaçi is the rather large exception. The EPBF Eurotour rankings show a few others in their top 25. https://eurotouronline.com/eurotour-ranking/

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
State sponsorship has its advantages, whether people here will admit it or not. I was taking lessons from Bert at the same time Holland was sending Neils over for training. They paid his airfare, accommodations, and Bert. He told me it was initially because they believed pool would eventually become an Olympic event. While I was working full time and driving to Bert's once a week for a $40 lesson, Neils was staying with him for weeks at a time getting big-time training.
The fact that pool cannot sustain a player with a family in this country means most cannot practice full time. Other countries pay them to play so they can concentrate on getting better rather than earning enough money to put food on the table working a regular job. This is part of the reason I suggested a fund raising of some sort for our Mosconi team. I would throw in some every year so that our team could take a couple months off to train and compete internationally.
As for the Pinoys, pool players are like rock stars over there. It's easy to get kids interested in something when fame and fortune are proven to be attainable in the sport.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I believe they have pool in school. In the US the only way most children are exposed to pool is in a family rec room where there is no one who knows how to play well or can give pointers on good technique. I think Taiwan also offers pool in school.

As for the Eastern Europeans other than RUS and POL, Kaçi is the rather large exception. The EPBF Eurotour rankings show a few others in their top 25. https://eurotouronline.com/eurotour-ranking/

Thanks, Bob. Pool in school makes a huge difference. Sounds like Poland is doing it right and will remain a force in pool going forward.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And she can probably get the 6ball from every one of the top-10 players.

Allison Fisher is in the 700's along with Karen Corr, and a few other female players, and they LIVE in America, pay taxes, and own homes here. So why are they not listed in the top 100 American female players? They ARE listed in the top 100 world female players!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

One of the high schools in the Houston school district has 4 Valley 8fts in it for an after school program, I delivered them to the school.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I think what you all fail to understand is that playing pool is a new game to most of those countries you're talking about, give them time to grow with it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think what you all fail to understand is that playing pool is a new game to most of those countries you're talking about, give them time to grow with it.

Thanks for that. I didn't realize this to be the case.