A little update

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here. I thought some of you might appreciate an update. Those that don't, just move along.

I stopped playing altogether about 2 months ago. I burnt myself out from playing way too much. Well, it's not only that, there are other reasons, but it's the main one.

I still love pool. It fits everything I'm looking for in a sport / game and I enjoy it thoroughly. I just don't feel like playing lately.

Now, I'm not discouraged or anything, but I reassessed my goals. I initially thought it would be a great achievement to play pro speed within 5 years. I still think it would be. I honestly thought I loved pool enough to forgo other hobbies to concentrate on it for a while and achieve that goal.

It seems that this isn't the case. I was still improving at a steady rate, everything going along well, but it reached a point where I felt like I was playing just to improve. I wasn't really having fun anymore.

Sure, improving is fun, but eventually it stops being as fun (you don't improve as fast and such just by running racks), and then drills become necessary, etc.

For those wanting a concrete answer, I do not feel like reaching pro speed in 5 years is the right target anymore. Do I still believe I could have done it if I could have kept the same early motivation for 5 years straight? Yep, that won't change and naysayers will be naysayers.

I might restart playing seriously in a not-so-distant future, think next few months, but I won't be aiming for pro speed in 5 years if I do so. It would be mostly to try to improve at a decent pace while keeping it fun, so no more 40 hours per week.

Off-topic: I caught a bit from a thread while lurking earlier today that said that I said in the 5 years pro speed thread that I never excelled at anything because I never took anything seriously enough. Not sure why I said that since it's not true, I must've forgot about some things when I wrote that.

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I was one of your doubters originally and I'm not here to say "I told you so".

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed watching your progress videos and your most recent video compared to your first was glaringly better. Sucks you burned yourself out on pool. It's hard to maintain a constant learning curve as the more you play, the more you will hit plateaus. It's the nature in improving in anything.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam the road to mastery is not a straight line of progression. We advance and retreat in our ability...just the nature of things caught between the mental knowledge and tge performance of doing them. I'd hope you can enjoy pool for what it is. Your ambition to play pro speed is no longer relevant for whatever reason. Just use your energy towards things that yield more positive results for yourself and your family...in the end that's all that matters anyway.

PocketPooler

Silver Member

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed watching your progress videos and your most recent video compared to your first was glaringly better. Sucks you burned yourself out on pool. It's hard to maintain a constant learning curve as the more you play, the more you will hit plateaus. It's the nature in improving in anything.

Agreed.

Sam, You gave it a go. Now you know what it takes. If it only took 5 years, we would all be pros. Keep head up and hope you do continue to play and improve; and most of all--ENJOY IT.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appreciate the update Sam and look forward to some more videos if you decide to post them in the future.

Life is what you make it. Do what makes you happy.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Sounds like Sam went through the same progression, struggles and plateaus everyone on this site has. Now Sam understands too.

Eric

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member

Well, I am. Told you so, told you so, told you so. Oh, I feel much better now.
Now that you've learned your lesson, relax and take the game for what it is. Something to do that you enjoy. It's really no more than that. :thumbup:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be the one to say I told you so! And there is a lot more to playing pro speed and being able to relax, you have to be able to hang with the top guys, mentally.
That only comes with time, and 5 years isnt gonna do it.

I think you are right to shift your goal to fun.

Enjoy when you can. Pool will be there for you.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam, I actually inquired about you recently in a thread. Glad you came on and updated us. I know a lot of people on hear gave yards some raz, but I'm certain that was not the reason for the change of heart. You should actually be happy, you learned in a short time frame what it takes many a lifetime to realize. As others have said already, take pool for what it is - a hobby, recreation , pastime, gambling , whatever - just not as a career. You were bitten by the bug and had to get it out of your system ( not that you truly ever can if your the least bit like most of us ) and I commend you for your passion, dedication, spirit, whatever you will call it. As I said, reality has apparently hit you square in the face and once more - better sooner than later! I have a feeling you will ultimately become a great player - just be sure to live your life in the mean time. Good luck to you sir, wish you nothing but the best in life ! !!!!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just have fun and enjoy your life. We must have plans and dreams. An intelligent person knows when to quit. That must be part of the plan. You get an A for effort.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here. I thought some of you might appreciate an update. Those that don't, just move along.

I stopped playing altogether about 2 months ago. I burnt myself out from playing way too much. Well, it's not only that, there are other reasons, but it's the main one.

I still love pool. It fits everything I'm looking for in a sport / game and I enjoy it thoroughly. I just don't feel like playing lately.

Now, I'm not discouraged or anything, but I reassessed my goals. I initially thought it would be a great achievement to play pro speed within 5 years. I still think it would be. I honestly thought I loved pool enough to forgo other hobbies to concentrate on it for a while and achieve that goal.

It seems that this isn't the case. I was still improving at a steady rate, everything going along well, but it reached a point where I felt like I was playing just to improve. I wasn't really having fun anymore.

Sure, improving is fun, but eventually it stops being as fun (you don't improve as fast and such just by running racks), and then drills become necessary, etc.

For those wanting a concrete answer, I do not feel like reaching pro speed in 5 years is the right target anymore. Do I still believe I could have done it if I could have kept the same early motivation for 5 years straight? Yep, that won't change and naysayers will be naysayers.

I might restart playing seriously in a not-so-distant future, think next few months, but I won't be aiming for pro speed in 5 years if I do so. It would be mostly to try to improve at a decent pace while keeping it fun, so no more 40 hours per week.

Off-topic: I caught a bit from a thread while lurking earlier today that said that I said in the 5 years pro speed thread that I never excelled at anything because I never took anything seriously enough. Not sure why I said that since it's not true, I must've forgot about some things when I wrote that.

What you should have said is "in 5 years, I will torture YOUR asses!" Then you would probably have heard a few chuckles, then crickets as you post more and more runout videos.

It's fun to get better, but not at the expense of life itself. Every day you can go to the gym and see aging musclemen who still think they can be Mr. Olympia, or to golf clubs to see guys shooting 75 trying to make the tour. Or talented people anywhere who have missed the boat of life, love, family and career. The same time invested in education or career is infinitely more certain to pay off. Just ask yourself, are you really willing to bet your entire future on something like pool?

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"What people don't realize about this game is - you have to play it for 20 years before you can get to be good."

-Earl S.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Ignore the Naysayers and Haters, they are what they are.

Sam,

The price for playing at pro speed in a few years comes at a mighty cost. Enjoy your life doing what brings you satisfaction and happiness.

Everyone makes goals, well, the smart people make goals while the smartest people reassess as they go along the journey.

Thanks for sharing your goals with us. It's a long and enjoyable journey for most of us.

Keep us informed as you journey. So far, yours has been a refreshing bit of honesty, candor and very interesting if I may so myself.

Sincerely,

JoeyA

Hey everyone,

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I think it would be healthier to just admit that you realized that you couldn't accomplish your goal. In fact, there is a good chance that you will NEVER play pro-speed.

I've always had good hand-eye coordination, and started playing pool when I was in college.

Now I have plenty of free time and I practice every day. However, I realize and I can admit, that to play pro-speed probably takes more natural talent than I possess or would need way more hours to accomplish, which I'm not willing to invest.

I much better goal IMO would be to play at the highest APA level (7) or maybe try to become a "Master" player, and just have fun doing it.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep

Get a Grip: I agree with you. I believe it also takes natural talent too.

However, you know this might revive that old argument about whether one could become a pro by just practicing for "X" number of hours.

Earl said it might take 20 years before you get "good" at it. I think you could get "good" at it in 20 years, but still not be able to be at pro-level.

I think it's ridiculous to think you could be like Buddy, Earl, Rodney, T-Rex, or Johnny in pool by just practicing enough, (unless you have natural talent) just as I think it would be ridiculous to think you could practice basketball for X number of years and be like Mike or Magic, or LeBron.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam, thanks for the humbling update.

You just proved you are human.......:thumbup:

Most people who are "pro level" at anything, have a lot of natural ability PLUS a super-human level of competitiveness, that lasts for years and never burns out....they often do not have a well balanced life.....

You are one of the few who put their game and progress on display for all to judge, that already makes you a winner ;)