2018 78th World 14.1 - News

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Regrettably, I have seen this stunt for years, pulled off by various promoters.

They setup an event knowing very well that they will never get a full field and then create a hostage situation, keeping all the players prisoners for a ridiculous amount of time.

Lou Figueroa

Unfortunately Yes.

But also think of the sponsor room, who was promissed X amount of days for the event to promise them that business. so format must changed to fulfil that end of the agreement !! Think about the amount of Money the room puts into the event in hopes of a return on that in patronage !!!

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
It doesn't make a great deal of sense, outside of ticket prices for flights, etc, surely the players would prefer a more condensed product?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately Yes.

But also think of the sponsor room, who was promissed X amount of days for the event to promise them that business. so format must changed to fulfil that end of the agreement !! Think about the amount of Money the room puts into the event in hopes of a return on that in patronage !!!

Well sure, the venue is a valid concern.

However, let me ask you: if participation for an event has been dropping year to year; with the promoter offering open spots to anyone walking down the street to play in a "world" event; and it looks like a pretty safe bet that you're going to probably get 30-some odd players: why would you schedule a lengthy event?

Wouldn't the more prudent thing to do -- for the venue, players, and spectators -- be to condense the tournament to an appropriate length, say four days?

Lou Figueroa

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

However, let me ask you: if participation for an event has been dropping year to year; with the promoter offering open spots to anyone walking down the street to play in a "world" event; and it looks like a pretty safe bet that you're going to probably get 30-some odd players: why would you schedule a lengthy event?

Wouldn't the more prudent thing to do -- for the venue, players, and spectators -- be to condense the tournament to an appropriate length, say four days?

Lou Figueroa

Realistically, a small two to four day tournament, with regional qualifiers that could get some real television coverage would be the way forward. No one wants to get into a sport that is hard to find, unsure who the best players actually are, and no real prize at the end.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They dropped the bottom 2 players from each of the 5 groups, leaving 20 players for the first round of double elimination. 12 of the 20 have byes, the other 8 are playing now.

12 of the 20 will move on to single elimination, with 4 byes in that first round.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They dropped the bottom 2 players from each of the 5 groups, leaving 20 players for the first round of double elimination. 12 of the 20 have byes, the other 8 are playing now.

12 of the 20 will move on to single elimination, with 4 byes in that first round.
This is the most unusual format I can recall. Well, not quite. Once at Magic Cue in Times Square I played in a 14.1 event that was nominally double elimination. To keep things moving along, the owner just paired up players as soon as two had finished their matches. Chart be damned.

If they felt they had to stretch the event out to the whole length, they could have done another set of round robins with longer matches, like two groups of six, and then a four-player single elimination.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the most unusual format I can recall. Well, not quite. Once at Magic Cue in Times Square I played in a 14.1 event that was nominally double elimination. To keep things moving along, the owner just paired up players as soon as two had finished their matches. Chart be damned.

If they felt they had to stretch the event out to the whole length, they could have done another set of round robins with longer matches, like two groups of six, and then a four-player single elimination.

Coming out of DE with 12 players plus 4 byes is the same as last year. The difference is starting DE with 20 this year vs. 24 last year.

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

I get that pool is in decline - but I agree - this event is run terribly. Look up my posts from eleven ****ing years ago about how DP can't run an event well. 11 years and it's no better. I feel like it gets put on every year just because. You could do it every other year or something if interest is lacking. It's ridiculous the low level players in here - there are reasons some much better local players can't even be talked into playing.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the pros have given up on Charlie and won't support this event. They managed to draw enough amateurs to keep it alive for this year but for how long can it continue.
I'm a big 14.1 lover so it's very disappointing.
Even after all these negative posts it's unlikely we'll see a response from DP, unless it's to ask everyone to purchase the PPV.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have given up on this event. they were asking something like $500 to enter for those who could not enter one of only 3 qualifiers nationally- crazy- no way some of the locals in this tournament paid the full entry fee- they opened the gates just to fill the roster spots, I am 65 and i know most of the locals in this event and they do not play close to my 14.1 game. I am never going to beat the top 6 here in the final two days, so why waste the $$ just to beat locals-- not a quality event in any respect, should just be a 3 day pro only event with strong sponsorship $$-- and THAT is the real issue here-- NO Strong Sponsor $$$ to keep it pro only.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have given up on this event. they were asking something like $500 to enter for those who could not enter one of only 3 qualifiers nationally- crazy- no way some of the locals in this tournament paid the full entry fee- they opened the gates just to fill the roster spots, I am 65 and i know most of the locals in this event and they do not play close to my 14.1 game. I am never going to beat the top 6 here in the final two days, so why waste the $$ just to beat locals-- not a quality event in any respect, should just be a 3 day pro only event with strong sponsorship $$-- and THAT is the real issue here-- NO Strong Sponsor $$$ to keep it pro only.

It'd be tough to suck up the entry and travel expenses to play in this event.

I know they promise everyone four or five matches out of the round robin but really, when you think about it, in some of those matches you're only going to get to lag, play a couple of return safeties, and maybe if you're lucky get a look at a wide open rack.

Lou Figueroa

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The big issue with sponsorship in my eyes, is that no one wants to see the locals play!

There are issues with having an invite only tournament for a world championship, however, as they are generally designed to open to all.

First thing thing that needs to happen to make any sport actually take off, is to have respect in the world title.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

I get that.

but in the order of things not really knowing your participation it's real hard to do it the other way. It would also be hard to come up with a date first to have the event without knowing if the rooms have the availability. Either way it's a double edged sword. So i guess he sells it for the week, knowing what lenth of time it would take with a full field and makes adjustments as need be. I know myself it's real tough to coordinate this all, so i really can't knock him on this one aspect. other areas of the event really need some work first to get the event to flurrish again !!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get that.

but in the order of things not really knowing your participation it's real hard to do it the other way. It would also be hard to come up with a date first to have the event without knowing if the rooms have the availability. Either way it's a double edged sword. So i guess he sells it for the week, knowing what lenth of time it would take with a full field and makes adjustments as need be. I know myself it's real tough to coordinate this all, so i really can't knock him on this one aspect. other areas of the event really need some work first to get the event to flurrish again !!

Well, if you're in the position this event is in, with dwindling participation over recent years, do you not do something like: ID and advertise a four day date with the room; give/enforce an entry deadline; and limit the field to 36 players? Given the turnout for recent years you'd have to be dreaming to think you're going to get more than 36 players (a fraction of which would actually be contenders) and yet he's scheduling like he's going to fill a 64 man field. That's nuts.

Lou Figueroa

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Lee makes a very strong point. If you can't attract name players then people don't show up to watch or buy ppv. If no one is watching then why would a sponsor put up money.
I walked in Friday to see a sorry looking schedule for the day. I left !!!
I would like to thank the sponsors and the pool room for their effort. By the way nice pool room. Nothing fancy. Just nice clean place. If I am ever in the area I would stop in to play there.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the American 14.1 is coming in October.
The last couple years at Diamond Billiards in Virginia have seen world class fields.
Hopefully the venue change to Carom Cafe in Flushing won't affect this too much. It's quite a jump in distance down to the (former) US Open in VA.
Whatever happens, it has to be better than this fiasco.

allprobilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pretty big line-up today:

Quarter Finals
11am M. IMMONEN vs T. ROBLES
130pm T. HOHMANN vs MAKKONEN
Semifinals
5pm Immonen OR Robles
vs Schmidt OR Badstuebner

730pm Semifinals
Hohmann OR Makkonen