High Run Equivalency between a 9' and 10' table?

nickgeo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of reach....

Hi,
Not much has been said about how difficult it is to reach a surprising number of shots on a 5x10. I'm 5-11 and play exclusively on my 5x10 Kling (4 3/8 corners with 2-inch shelves). I find that I had to develop some new 14.1 position strategies to avoid awkward reaches over the stack. That's an unexpected position constraint that needs to be incorporated into playing. And then there are shots that can't be reached with a single bridge. Shooting with the opposite hand becomes important.
As for runs, I would estimate 100 on a 4 1/2 x 9 equals 60 on a 5x10, by a player with little 5x10 experience. Few people, other than our snooker cousins, have much 5x10 experience. With time, the difference diminishes to maybe 75.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
Not much has been said about how difficult it is to reach a surprising number of shots on a 5x10. I'm 5-11 and play exclusively on my 5x10 Kling (4 3/8 corners with 2-inch shelves). I find that I had to develop some new 14.1 position strategies to avoid awkward reaches over the stack. That's an unexpected position constraint that needs to be incorporated into playing. And then there are shots that can't be reached with a single bridge. Shooting with the opposite hand becomes important.
As for runs, I would estimate 100 on a 4 1/2 x 9 equals 60 on a 5x10, by a player with little 5x10 experience. Few people, other than our snooker cousins, have much 5x10 experience. With time, the difference diminishes to maybe 75.
I would agree. Even with the cue ball around the middle of the table for a side-of-the-pack break shot, on a 10-footer, that's a reach for most players. I'm 6'5", and if the cue ball is more than 1/2 diamond past the side pocket, I'm likely using my extension and keeping the shot and positioning as simple as I possibly can.

Sounds like your table is about like our 10-footer, which have tight 4-1/2" corners and 4-7/8" sides. I've yet to run 3 full racks on it (42 balls), although I've recorded high runs nearly double that amount on our 9-foot table with even tighter pockets - 4-1/4" corners.

Last edited:

nickgeo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6'-5" ! That's cheating.

Hi,
If we ever play I'm grabbing my girlfriend's platforms.
Interesting that you have similar problems despite your height. What's also interesting is that Mosconi's height is given as 5-8. Crane, the Deacon, is always described as tall, so (for old times) at least 6 feet. Could not find anything about Cranfield's height.
And yes, getting past 2 racks is a bear on these tables.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
long distance

I have a slight advantage being a lefty in other sports and have practiced southpaw many hrs. Only 6' 1" but can reach many shots as I am comfortable with the lefty shots. If you are playing 14.1 on a ten ft plus tight pockets - i think its a mistake, dealing with the extra distance should be enough challenge as is. I do not use the bridge much at all and have no extensions, I play ten to 15% of the shots southpaw on this ten footer - where as on the 9' it's only 5%. I would suggest playing more straight pool and keeping the pockets 4 3/4 rather than setting the table up for one pocket. One pocket is a creative game but can be manipulated every new game by the person racking - (maybe making the corner ball), 14.1 is a more pure form of pool where the rack mechanic cannot have any impact. Maybe this is why most of the gamblers/hustlin' crowders' do not care for it.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a slight advantage being a lefty in other sports and have practiced southpaw many hrs. Only 6' 1" but can reach many shots as I am comfortable with the lefty shots. If you are playing 14.1 on a ten ft plus tight pockets - i think its a mistake, dealing with the extra distance should be enough challenge as is. I do not use the bridge much at all and have no extensions, I play ten to 15% of the shots southpaw on this ten footer - where as on the 9' it's only 5%. I would suggest playing more straight pool and keeping the pockets 4 3/4 rather than setting the table up for one pocket. One pocket is a creative game but can be manipulated every new game by the person racking - (maybe making the corner ball), 14.1 is a more pure form of pool where the rack mechanic cannot have any impact. Maybe this is why most of the gamblers/hustlin' crowders' do not care for it.
I agree, 4-3/8" corners on a 10-footer is probably too tough a table for any game other than one-pocket, for anyone less than your level. However, our best players in here, as well as myself, really enjoy the challenge of it for 14.1 or 9/10 ball.

I guess I'll know if I ever can string a 4 rack run (56 balls) that would easily be the equivalent of a 100 ball run on a more normal sized pocket 9-foot table.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
long distance info

I agree, 4-3/8" corners on a 10-footer is probably too tough a table for any game other than one-pocket, for anyone less than your level. However, our best players in here, as well as myself, really enjoy the challenge of it for 14.1 or 9/10 ball.

I guess I'll know if I ever can string a 4 rack run (56 balls) that would easily be the equivalent of a 100 ball run on a more normal sized pocket 9-foot table.

This is the straight pool section of the forum - so my comments will relate to 14.1 and not much ten ball or one pocket. I would add not to try not to be intimidated by the extra distance, again the 153 I ran on this 5x10 was as smooth if not more smooth as any 100 ball + run on 9'. If you tighten up the table you will never have a solid reference to compare the run on a 9' (with standard 4/3/4 pockets). Nothing wrong with enjoying the challenge - but I am not convinced that I cannot surpass 500 on this 5x10.