View Single Post
Old
  (#7)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-01-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Here is an organized way to do that:

Start with a number of balls, like 4. You are going to play the "4-ball ghost" a match -- race to 11. Rack and break the 9 balls as usual, then remove all but the highest 4. Take ball in hand for the first ball and see if you can run out. If you run out you get one point. If you fail to run out, the ghost gets a point. The match ends when you or the ghost gets to 11. Mark the score down in your practice log.

Your next match with the ghost depends on whether you won or lost. If you won, you go to one ball more (5 in this example case), but if you lost, you go to one ball less.

This style of practice is called "progressive practice" and its main feature is that the difficulty of the task automatically adjusts to your current level of play -- the drill always fits.

If you want some more basic progressive practice drills and a more complete discussion of how they work, see the handout as the fourth item at: http://www.sfbilliards.com/miscellaneous.htm

I like the full break and removing all but the highest balls you want to use. But if playing the 4 ball ghost and you win 11-10, or 11-8, or whatever if it's a bit a of close score, then I wouldn't bump it up to 5 balls. I'd want a score of at least 11-3, where I win better than 80% of the games. Then I'll know without a doubt that my ability to run out if my opponent leaves the last 4 is very good. Once I am 80 to 90% or better on 4 balls I'd add two more balls and see how I handle that.

Regardless of whether or not I beat the 6 ball ghost, I wouldn't progress forward until I could get out at least 80% of the time or more. Winning 11-5 would indicate that my chances of getting out with 6 balls is only about 2 out 3....not good enough if you like winning. Nothing seems to lose more games than running down a rack that you think you can run out. If you can consistently run 4 balls 80% of the time, and your opponent leaves you 7 balls, where you know you are 50/50 on running out 7, you'll probably end up leaving your opponent the last 1 or 2 balls half the time.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist