View Single Post
carbon fiber is only three percent better
Old
  (#13)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

carbon fiber is only three percent better - 09-13-2019, 09:31 AM

According to a claim by a manufacturer, carbon fiber is only three percent better than the best wood shafts when it comes to minimizing deflection. However, most people weren't playing with the best wood. Another issue, with plain wooden shafts most people don't index their cues for maximum consistency. All of this adds up to low deflection and carbon fiber shafts being here to stay. I don't think they will take over the market but I think they are going to take a chunk of it. For players who are used to other shafts low deflection shafts take some of the beauty out of the game. However, they are easier to learn with.

Years ago there was a pool game on the internet. They were going to hold tournaments, allow gambling, everything like a real pool hall. Thing was, everyone had perfect aim(sorry Geno!) and perfect stroke in the software. I was playing a youngster carefully playing shape and pocketing balls just like on a real table. Then the youngster announced last game, he wanted to go play with a buddy. I ran out the rack at warp speed. Cutting balls on the rail from end to end of the table, no problem. Reverse cuts across the table, no problem.

All the low percentage shots real world were locks on this electronic table and I used that to run the table with almost no effort to play shape on the next ball, I didn't really need it. The reason for this deflection, low deflection shafts remind me of the electronic pool game. The easy shots are just the same as with a regular shaft but all of a sudden the tough shots are much easier.

Some of the feel and beauty disappears with carbon fiber shafts but that was true with the low deflection wooden shafts too when we started playing with glue splices instead of or supplementing wood grain. The question is, how much fun are we willing to give up to play better pool? I still spend a little time practicing the slip stroke every session so I guess I know where my interests lay. However, if I was still gambling nightly or playing tournament pool I would already own a Revo.

Hu