Modify a Standard Cue for Travel?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Sorry if this is a dumbass question.

Can you Regular Cue be made into a Travel Cue?

Thank you

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
Possible, yes. I guess you are talking about having a 4 piece cue. Don't know how practical that would be.

Alan

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I never shot with it, but back a few years or so, there was a guy in Lansing, Mi named Vince, an older guy, I think used to ride to Pockets on a bike. He had a 5 piece Chinese cue he payed 3 cushion with and everyone would snicker at it. Then he’d kick their butt with that ‘stupid cue’. Tough guy to beat.

Might be more the player than than the cue that makes the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
He had a 5 piece Chinese cue he payed 3 cushion with and everyone would snicker at it. Then he’d kick their butt with that ‘stupid cue’. Tough guy to beat.

Might be more the player than than the cue that makes the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that good players can use almost any cue laying around.

Fleabay has those five piece cues for sale.
They are described as “Rare, Hand Carved, Collectable Cues.
They list them for $75 to $200.
Must be patented....I’ve never seen any cue maker make them.
I’m going bid on one right now for $150.

Attachments

• 1AE22356-BEE8-4D1E-9F1C-0EB13088EF0F.jpeg
    1AE22356-BEE8-4D1E-9F1C-0EB13088EF0F.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not think even those cues are allowed on an airplane because of the on section with the screw protruding out would be considered a weapon by the TSA- better check first before buying for that purpose- also every airport has their own interpretation. Better to get an old 57inch Dufferin or Excalibur from the 80s- a two piece cue, they both had excellent shaft wood, find one that is reasonably straight and you can put it in a larger checked bag with a TSA lock - I just use a cheap case to hold the cue inside my checked bag.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My opinion on travel cues is each piece should be around 20 inches and the cue three pieces. That gives a full stroke shaft with no joint going through your fingers.