All this talk about light,loose grips has me wondering...

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> All this talk about light,loose grips has me wondering,has EVERYONE considered what effects a slightly firmer grip and stroking thru the cue ball with a deliberate hand action has?

Imagine it this way,if you hold a toothbrush with a loose,floppy grip,you don't have a lot of "feel" or control,a slightly firmer grip allows you to feel each individual tooth.

CJ Wiley and Buddy Hall are the 2 best examples I can come up with. Buddy himself has said many times his swing isn't a loose throwing motion,more of an elongated "push",driving the cue thru the ball to get the desired effects as opposed to throwing the cue thru the ball.

I did it this way exclusively for years,now I combine the 2 methods,using a lighter grip when speed is paramount,while still using the "driving" method when punching the cue ball sideways with center ball,and firm my grip up when shooting off the rails and for breaking.

I've even lightened my normal grip pressure up some,but the cue still doesn't completely leave my hand. When using the deliberate action I'm describing,I line the shot up like normal,and closely monitor the distance between my bridge and the cue ball. I drive the tip thru the cue ball to a spot on the cloth the same distance BEHIND the cue ball,with the speed the right side of my brain tells me will get the desired effect.

Example. My normal bridge length is 7-8",unless the shot says otherwise. I find a spot close to the same distance past the cue ball on the cloth while sighting the shot before I take my stance,and drive the tip to that spot. This eliminates short-stroking for me at least.

I'm not arguing with the loose grip crowd,there are certainly several negative effects of using a firmer grip,possible "steering",overhitting,etc. I'm just advocating at least personal experimentation with it before discarding it.

I am a firm believer that the "flamboyant" circular strokes that are so common now are indeed the influence of the Filipino players,notably excluding Jose Parica,his stroke seems to be a little closer to the traditional method than Efren,Busta,etc.

Players have always looked to those better than them for methods to get better results,and always will. I have no problem with that.

On the other hand,there are an ever-increasing number of young-ish players that do it just because it looks "cool",or think it will intimidate their opponent. Anyone intimidated by another players style should never leave the house.

I'm not claiming to be 100% right on my theories,this is just what I have come up with on my own. Tommy D.

vLude99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that there is never just one way to hit. Standard theory and convention is a loose grip because it just helps eliminates steer and what not and just "let the cue do the work". However, the MAIN point to get in the stroke is that:

1) you accelerate through the cue ball,
2) the cue is going straight and smooth,
3) the cue goes completely through the ball where you are intended to hit it,
4) you are consistent and do it the same everytime

A loose grip is traditionally and widely accepted as the easier way to get the smooth acceleration. Some people cannot grip like that because it's not right for them. Everyone is physically different and what works for you may not work for the next guy. But as long as those 4 criteria are met, do what you want and are comfortable with.

PS: I have a friend that is a APA 7 in 8ball and he has the ugliest looking punch stroke I've ever seen. (If I were to try using that stroke, I would hop the ball on draw shots everytime) However, he is very consistent with it and this stroke meets those 4 criteria. So no matter how ugly or what not, those criteria are the key. btw, he whips my butt in pool every game even though I have the better looking stroke ;)

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I come up with a non-argumentative,thought provoking post,and get ONE response? Am I a ***** or something? LOL,Tommy D.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is whatever works

I was shooting like dirt one day and tightened my closed bridge so brutally that I had to use a lot of muscle to push the cue through my bridge. Seems like a horrible idea but I started running out. My bridge hand was sore after doing this to give an idea of the pressure involved.

I have used very heavy sticks that did most of the work and a 12 ounce stick that would do almost no work itself. Both worked great but the technique was entirely different. With the new fast cloth and rails I doubt I could get the heavy stick going again but I think a superlight stick might still be the ticket. The old one was low deflection too, only having a 9 or 10mm tip. Cutting meat off the outside is still the easiest and most effective way to lighten the tip end of a shaft.

Hu

Tommy-D said:
> All this talk about light,loose grips has me wondering,has EVERYONE considered what effects a slightly firmer grip and stroking thru the cue ball with a deliberate hand action has?

Imagine it this way,if you hold a toothbrush with a loose,floppy grip,you don't have a lot of "feel" or control,a slightly firmer grip allows you to feel each individual tooth.

CJ Wiley and Buddy Hall are the 2 best examples I can come up with. Buddy himself has said many times his swing isn't a loose throwing motion,more of an elongated "push",driving the cue thru the ball to get the desired effects as opposed to throwing the cue thru the ball.

I did it this way exclusively for years,now I combine the 2 methods,using a lighter grip when speed is paramount,while still using the "driving" method when punching the cue ball sideways with center ball,and firm my grip up when shooting off the rails and for breaking.

I've even lightened my normal grip pressure up some,but the cue still doesn't completely leave my hand. When using the deliberate action I'm describing,I line the shot up like normal,and closely monitor the distance between my bridge and the cue ball. I drive the tip thru the cue ball to a spot on the cloth the same distance BEHIND the cue ball,with the speed the right side of my brain tells me will get the desired effect.

Example. My normal bridge length is 7-8",unless the shot says otherwise. I find a spot close to the same distance past the cue ball on the cloth while sighting the shot before I take my stance,and drive the tip to that spot. This eliminates short-stroking for me at least.

I'm not arguing with the loose grip crowd,there are certainly several negative effects of using a firmer grip,possible "steering",overhitting,etc. I'm just advocating at least personal experimentation with it before discarding it.

I am a firm believer that the "flamboyant" circular strokes that are so common now are indeed the influence of the Filipino players,notably excluding Jose Parica,his stroke seems to be a little closer to the traditional method than Efren,Busta,etc.

Players have always looked to those better than them for methods to get better results,and always will. I have no problem with that.

On the other hand,there are an ever-increasing number of young-ish players that do it just because it looks "cool",or think it will intimidate their opponent. Anyone intimidated by another players style should never leave the house.

I'm not claiming to be 100% right on my theories,this is just what I have come up with on my own. Tommy D.