World 9-ball Championship - latest updates, 25th August

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
E-mail from President of the EPBF, and secretary in WPA, Gre Leenders.

"With regrets I have to inform you that we have to cancel the planned qualifier for the WC 9-Ball ( which was planned after the Euro Tour in Weert ).

The reason for this decision which was taken in the light of the fact that Matchroom informed us that in spite of all attempts it still is not sure that the WPA WC 9-Ball will take place in 2008. In spite of all efforts there is still no local organi found that want to host the WC 9-Ball. There is still a slight chance but it looks like it that it will not happen. Of course the WPA and Matchroom will do what even can be done to find an organizer and we will inform you a.s.a.p. when the situation will change but for the time being the WC 9-Ball 2008 is not going to happen."

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
no bca open, no world 9 ball championship, WTF?
Seems like things are getting worse, not better

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't get it...

Can't understand why Matchroom/WPA doesn't plan these events years ahead...

The schedule for 2009 should be all set by now, in an ideal world...

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is bad.

And people still ask why Pool is not in the Olympics.

This is just bad.

Erm. What do they mean by local sponsor? Was the host country decided upon in the first place? I thought that would have been done even before last year WC began?

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Um, what happened to MATCHROOM being the promoter? Who was the responsible party when the tournament was held in Cardiff each year?

So what is the situation now? The WPA sanctions the event, Matchroom does what? They produce it when they find a local entity to sell it to? This is all very strange.

It would seem to me that Matchroom would simply have the event in Cardiff or somewhere in England under their control.

I can't imagine that 2009 will not have a World 9 Ball Championship. After all the power plays and big talk!

All these organization are screwy.

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
Why not contact Barry Behrman????

Roy Steffensen said:
E-mail from President of the EPBF, and secretary in WPA, Gre Leenders.

"With regrets I have to inform you that we have to cancel the planned qualifier for the WC 9-Ball ( which was planned after the Euro Tour in Weert ).

The reason for this decision which was taken in the light of the fact that Matchroom informed us that in spite of all attempts it still is not sure that the WPA WC 9-Ball will take place in 2008. In spite of all efforts there is still no local organi found that want to host the WC 9-Ball. There is still a slight chance but it looks like it that it will not happen. Of course the WPA and Matchroom will do what even can be done to find an organizer and we will inform you a.s.a.p. when the situation will change but for the time being the WC 9-Ball 2008 is not going to happen."

Roy, why not suggest to the WPA to hold the World Championships immediately after the US Open 9 Ball Championship in Chesapeake, Virginia.

They could contract Barry Behrman, and try to work out something to the effect on leaving all tables installed in the Cheasapeake Center, and continue with the WPC the following week. They could also use Barry's Venue (Q-Master) for the WPC qualifiers the week before the Open, celebrate the US Open and then celebrate the WPC. With the number of International Players that would be present at the Open, they would have much problem getting the remaining qualified World Players to come to the U.S.A for the WPC.

I know that the logistics for such continued events could be mind boggling but right now it seems the only logical solution. Barry Hearns, WPA, Barry Behrman, and the Cheasepeake Center could save this important event for the sake of our beloved sport.

14.1player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Barry Behrman have $1 million for Matchroom? :)

When the WPC went to the Far East in 2004, the WPC finally became a marketable commodity, paid for by respective Taiwanese and Filipino governing bodies, governments and tourism promotion budgets, rather than held with Matchroom's own money in Cardiff....

The problem is, the Philippines and Taiwan are the only ones who would be willing to front the cash..... And even then they still made losses... Is it a sustainable franchise? I think the WPC contract is worth a lot less than people think ;)

In a recession, loss making entities are the first to be cut. I think pool is on that list :frown:

Ste

Caribbean Carnivore
Silver Member
juegabillar said:
Roy, why not suggest to the WPA to hold the World Championships immediately after the US Open 9 Ball Championship in Chesapeake, Virginia.

They could contract Barry Behrman, and try to work out something to the effect on leaving all tables installed in the Cheasapeake Center, and continue with the WPC the following week. They could also use Barry's Venue (Q-Master) for the WPC qualifiers the week before the Open, celebrate the US Open and then celebrate the WPC. With the number of International Players that would be present at the Open, they would have much problem getting the remaining qualified World Players to come to the U.S.A for the WPC.

I know that the logistics for such continued events could be mind boggling but right now it seems the only logical solution. Barry Hearns, WPA, Barry Behrman, and the Cheasepeake Center could save this important event for the sake of our beloved sport.

Hi Harold,

There are existing sponsorship, endorsements and representation deals in place - that could not be immediately replaced in this manner.

The issue is significantly more complicated than it appears from the outside.

S.