Does taking ibuprofen affect performance?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Don't take any of the non-steroidals on an empty stomach. If you do it often enough you'll get an ulcerated stomach lining. Not fun.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your responses, everyone.

I used to play ball back in high school. At one point my arm stared to wear down, and at someone's advice I began taking ibuprofen before games that I pitched. I was able to get through games, but it was just covering up the pain that I was feeling.

Over time, behaving like that caused some damage to my elbow. The NSAIDs had masked the cues that my body was trying to tell me, "Hey, cut out that motion, you're hurting yourself."

I'm postulating this because pool requires such fine coordination and attention to detail. Perhaps taking the pill could have obscured the little red flags that tell you that your alignment might be a little off or your stance may not quite be right.

Competition is tough just trying to weed out factors that cause us to not play our best.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Around New Years I was sick and the doctor prescribed me a huge bottle of norco.

One day, after taking 2, I played the ghost on my home table. I was focused, calm, and played really well.

A few weeks later, I played a small weekly tournament and took 2 norco pills before. I played crappy and was knocked out 1st round.

I guess there is no magic pill.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Played a tournament this weekend. First match started off great. My opponent was strong, but I came with big shots and had some good outs.

Waiting for my second match, I started to feel a light headache coming on. I popped an Aleve, and before I knew it, no more headache. No body aches at all, either.

Second match was against an equally strong opponent, but I played much less sharp than I did before and lost. Quickly jumped into my third match, where my opponent was just a hair better than me.

I got zipped lol.

During the third match, I absolutely could not make a ball. Can't believe my game could vacillate so much in such a short period of time.

Anyone else ever take ibuprofen and feel like it dulled your ability to focus or concentrate?

Advil is ibuprofen. Not Aleve. Nevertheless, it shouldn't affect playability at all. The head ache (or anything that can stray your focus, perhaps even the worry of a headache) can demolish your game more than one OTC pill. If anything, often times headache meds, especially Excedrin, is loaded with caffeine. That more than anything would enhance focus for a few moments.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I usually take one 12 oz Bud lite before I play, and often a second while I play my match.

Not sure if it helps it hurts my performance, but it makes the night go better

:p

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
No problems with Advil but avoid caffeine and alcohol.

On another note, if you suffer from chafing, I have found this anti Monkey Butt power to work miraculously well. No kidding.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.php?submenu=FAQ&src=faq&category=Anti%20Monkey%20Butt%20FAQs

No monkey butt problems with me but I have drank coffee and it helped me to concentrate. Like most things in life, caffeine may affect some of us differently.

JoeyA

P.S. I do take Aleve on occasion but won't be doing so in the future. I might even give up on my other blood thinner for tournaments, Meloxicam. Sometimes I wonder about that too. Most drugs have side affect and I may just be conditioned to those side affects and not notice the difference. Good heads-up to check out though. Thanks for the thread original poster...

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
Don't take any of the non-steroidals on an empty stomach. If you do it often enough you'll get an ulcerated stomach lining. Not fun.

^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^

Just realized that often enough usually means taking 800mg+ (4x Advil) more than 3-4 times weekly for quite a while for most healthy adults. But I've known many of my friends in the military who are having these issues because military treatment clinics like to give out 800mg Motrin like candy for any little niggle you might have.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
So ....let me understand this, avoiding taking any medication when you don't feel well leaves you not feeling well. Waddia think a headache during a match will do your your game?

Geez, if you don't feel good, take something to help fix that, whether you're playing pool or just watching TV. I don't think this requires a doctorate in rocket science. How do you do anything well if you feel like shit?

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played in a local 9b event on Sunday. I have a bad back, I over did the practice on Fri & Sat. I showed up with my back hurting. Took 2 tylenol, practiced to losen up a little. I goy a bye in the 1st round, sitting and waiting to play, my back was telling me I was not being kind to it. Finally started my 1st match. Half way through the 2nd rack I grabbed 3 more pills. It might not help someones shooting. But I dont think I could have played without taking it. When you are hurting, I think it is worth taking.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I wouldn't know. I am on 3, 20 mg of Oxy Neo per day. Past brain op.

I do have Naproxen in a scrip so probably a little stronger than an average dose.
I find that on occasion, it can make me feel a little loopy.

Other than that, I try and avoid it as it mainly wreaks havoc with my stomach.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Avoid caffeine? That sounds kind of odd. Caffeine is a proven performance enhancing drug. In moderate doses, it improves focus, mental function, muscle function, reflexes, and overall mood. Having a dependence on it sucks for sure though.

KMRUNOUT

The way caffeine affects me is, when I get in a tournament match, I usually get a small adrenaline rush anyway. The caffeine seems to amplify it. So instead of just feeling alert - which I do - I also feel jittery and jumpy. Not good for your stroke. It's happened often enough for me to know that I need to avoid it during a tournament.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it 'slightly' affects focus. How bad this affects someone game is probably different from one person to the next. I try to avoid taking meds within a few hours of a match. Usually, most meds that are 4-6 hour meds are probably not going to have any effect once you're on the downside of that time. That's my past history with them.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't know. I am on 3, 20 mg of Oxy Neo per day. Past brain op.

I do have Naproxen in a scrip so probably a little stronger than an average dose.
I find that on occasion, it can make me feel a little loopy.

Other than that, I try and avoid it as it mainly wreaks havoc with my stomach.

:yeah: that'll work!

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've taken Ibuprofen (bad for the kidneys) and aspirin before many nightly tourneys and I don't think I've had any negative side affects. Recently I've been trying to get by with Aleve.
If you shake on that hill to hill 9 ball then don't take caffeine it will make you shake worse. and can make you hyper. I believe there are better natural solutions.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I usually take one 12 oz Bud lite before I play, and often a second while I play my match.

Not sure if it helps it hurts my performance, but it makes the night go better

:p

same here.. except instead of bud light maybe a rickards red or a waterloo dark.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
Yea it's hard to believe an aspirin or two will hurt your play.
I'd be more worried about the 10 or 12 beers I drank.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around New Years I was sick and the doctor prescribed me a huge bottle of norco.

One day, after taking 2, I played the ghost on my home table. I was focused, calm, and played really well.

A few weeks later, I played a small weekly tournament and took 2 norco pills before. I played crappy and was knocked out 1st round.

I guess there is no magic pill.

Norco...Vicodin and tylenol..will calm you..but be careful