Diamond tables don't seem that great.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe you both are right. Maybe the mold went bad and Diamond changed it out. I've never been in Diamond's factory, but I know exactly where it is at (guess where I live?), and I know that the humidity _RIGHT_NOW_ could very easily make any mold expand.

I'm not saying this happened, and it's not exactly applicable to steel (assuming they're using cast molds here), but when you poly a butcher block surface of any kind in this part of the country it is not just recommended to keep the bottom surface bare, but literally a requirement as the humidity will warp anything around here... (even pad locks!!! Always have bolt cutters in the summer and winter).

BTW, how does a table builder know that the rails are not defective before assembly?

FWIW, I've worked on horrible Diamond tables right there in Louisville, KY not more than 15 miles from the factory, but Diamonds service techs wasn't the ones working on the tables for the last 10 years!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe you both are right. Maybe the mold went bad and Diamond changed it out. I've never been in Diamond's factory, but I know exactly where it is at (guess where I live?), and I know that the humidity _RIGHT_NOW_ could very easily make any mold expand.

I'm not saying this happened, and it's not exactly applicable to steel (assuming they're using cast molds here), but when you poly a butcher block surface of any kind in this part of the country it is not just recommended to keep the bottom surface bare, but literally a requirement as the humidity will warp anything around here... (even pad locks!!! Always have bolt cutters in the summer and winter).

BTW, how does a table builder know that the rails are not defective before assembly?

Tell me something, when the customers at a Fox & Hounds complain about how their Diamonds are playing, and I get sent out to find out why. When I get there and take the tables apart, the first thing I notice is that there's no screws holding the pockets in place, so that who ever has been working on them don't have to waste time taking the pocket loose, they can just pull them out, but they're sitting high on the rails because they're not mounted!! Then, I get into stripping the old rail cloth off, only to find out there's still 3 other colors of rail cloth under what I just stripped off....as well as ALL the staples from the last 5 recoveries that we're NEVER pulled out!!! Then, 3 hours later, while STILL PULLING OUT STAPLES the manager comes over to ask me...."why are you still here working on our 2 tables, you should have been done by now" I just look at him, wondering WHY IN THE HELL am I still pulling out staples!!!! And the few reasons that come to mind are, because nbr 1, it's the correct way to prepare to install new cloth, and nbr 2...even it I wanted to do such bad work, there's no frigging where to put the new staples without hitting every staple still in the rails!!!!

So don't sit there on your keyboard and voice your opinion about what Diamond should or shouldn't do to improve their pool tables until you at FIRST know something about them, OTHER than what you see on the surface in which DIAMOND HAS NO CONTROL OVER once the table has been sold!!!!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I've been playing almost solely on Diamonds for about 2 years and I'm realizing these tables are kinda cheap.

Sounds like OP has been playing "solely" on barboxes. His first and again his last complaint is the cue ball return.

Cron, have you ever been to a pool room?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sounds like OP has been playing "solely" on barboxes. His first and again his last complaint is the cue ball return.

Cron, have you ever been to a pool room?

And neither the smart tables or ProAms have a stain on them except the legs!!
The bodies are laminated for christ sake!!!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Par for the course. I give specific examples of two brand new diamond tables with worn cloth that play bad, and Glen calls me a moron and I don't know what I'm talking about.

GO PLAY ON THOSE TWO TABLES GLEN AND THEN IF YOU THINK THEY ARE WRONG, THEN TRY TO FIX THEM. AND IF YOU CANT FIX THEM, THEN ITS A DESIGN PROBLEM, CORRECT, AND THEN CHANGE THE DESIGN TO FIX THEM.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I challenge anyone else in Atlanta to go play on those two diamond tables for an hour as well. Then come report back your experience. Just so Glen doesn't think I'm the only one that is a moron. ha ha ha haha.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Par for the course. I give specific examples of two brand new diamond tables with worn cloth that play bad, and Glen calls me a moron and I don't know what I'm talking about.

GO PLAY ON THOSE TWO TABLES GLEN AND THEN IF YOU THINK THEY ARE WRONG, THEN TRY TO FIX THEM. AND IF YOU CANT FIX THEM, THEN ITS A DESIGN PROBLEM, CORRECT, AND THEN CHANGE THE DESIGN TO FIX THEM.
If it was a design problem, then it would show up on ALL DIAMOND TABLES, don't you get it.??????

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I challenge anyone else in Atlanta to go play on those two diamond tables for an hour as well. Then come report back your experience. Just so Glen doesn't think I'm the only one that is a moron. ha ha ha haha.

And I challenge you to get off your ass and go travel around the country and find OTHER DIAMONDS that play like those do!! We don't have ANY problems with the playability of the several 100 Diamonds in my area!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
When the Brunswick GC3 cushions turned rock hard, was it only on 2 tables, or on several thousand....because there's a difference!! The fact that so many GC3s had the cushion rubber go bad....THAT was an indication that BRUNSWICK had defective cushions! YOU point out 2 Diamonds playing bad, don't know why....but BLAME DIAMOND for a bad design???? Really????

realkingcobra

Silver Member

If theses 2 Diamonds play so bad, how come no one has fixed them to play up to YOUR standards? There isn't a Diamond or GC built that I can't work on and make it play the best it can be made to play....what's wrong with the table mechanic's that work on those tables, why can't THEY fix them to play right if according to you, they play so horrible!!

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I side with Glen on this if it.was a manufacture problem it would be product line side. Or a majority of a run not two random tables in bum fuct where ever!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I challenge you to get off your ass and go travel around the country and find OTHER DIAMONDS that play like those do!! We don't have ANY problems with the playability of the several 100 Diamonds in my area!!

The ones in NJ play like crap too. Not as short as these, but like pin balls. Blue labels as well.

The ones in PA are pin balls.

The ones I played on in Denver played great.

The ones in Tunica played horrible.

The ones in DCC play good some years, so-so other years. I think it has to do with the weather personally, but that is just a hunch.

I also played on some in VA that were super old. The pockets weren't even black, before the black dye. They actually played good.

Any more places I should try?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played on a bad one. Our room had early Red Pro's that banked a little short but played ok. Every other Diamond i've played on was fine. I live in hot/humid Okla. and ANY table gets bouncy down here. Never seen a Diamond with all the ills described in above posts. Its all in the set-up. Take a great table and a j^*k-off installer and any table will suck.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not a manufacturing problem. That would imply there is variation from sample to sample due to tolerances or other issues.

I'm implying its a design problem. Probably using the wrong cushion material or cushion profile. Or maybe the wood rail behind the cushion is too stiff.

The point is, sometime the diamond's play great, and sometimes they play like pinball machines, and sometimes they play so short a 4 rail bank goes 2 rails (ask John Morra;) )

I'm not here to fix the problem. But Glen acts like there is no problem.

I've said this before, you take a GC, and put it all over the country, and it will play "close" in most cases. You do the same with a Diamond, some places it will play great, some horrible. WHY, that is Glen's job or Diamond's job to figure out. But blasting me and others because we point out these difference is nuts.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The ones in NJ play like crap too. Not as short as these, but like pin balls. Blue labels as well.

The ones in PA are pin balls.

The ones I played on in Denver played great.

The ones in Tunica played horrible.

The ones in DCC play good some years, so-so other years. I think it has to do with the weather personally, but that is just a hunch.

I also played on some in VA that were super old. The pockets weren't even black, before the black dye. They actually played good.

Any more places I should try?

And after Paul Smith wiped down the cushions on the 10's in Tunica with Armoral like I told him to, it solved the humidity problems with the cushions banking short and springy. Are you NEW to the effects humidity has on pool tables in different areas of the country???

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Its not a manufacturing problem. That would imply there is variation from sample to sample due to tolerances or other issues.

I'm implying its a design problem. Probably using the wrong cushion material or cushion profile. Or maybe the wood rail behind the cushion is too stiff.

The point is, sometime the diamond's play great, and sometimes they play like pinball machines, and sometimes they play so short a 4 rail bank goes 2 rails (ask John Morra;) )

I've said this before, you take a GC, and put it all over the country, and it will play "close" in most cases. You do the same with a Diamond, some places it will play great, some horrible. WHY, that is Glen's job or Diamond's job to figure out. But blasting me and others because we point out these difference is nuts.

Well then, I hate to be the one to inform you, but I've played on PLENTY of horrible playing GCs around the country as well. ALL tables are effected by humidity, but it varies depending on the cloth on the tables.....ever considered that possibility????

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Are you even aware that Simonis 860 and 860HR play night and day different in extreme humid environments? Do you know why?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've been playing almost solely on Diamonds for about 2 years and I'm realizing these tables are kinda cheap.

1. The ball returns are the worst. I'm not a fan of ball returns anyways, but I've never danced so much trying to figure out which end the cue ball will come out. It's kinda ridiculous considering the popularity of Diamond.

A Diamond Smart Table requires a special cue ball with a red circle that alerts an optic
sensor.

The Cornerman explained this a while ago....its properties are luminescence and translucency.
..a certain amount of light can pass though the resin....Freddy swallowed a thesaurus..:eek:

Sooo....if a room has the cue ball stolen or mixed in with other sets,,,,
...and puts in a different cue ball......is that Diamond’s fault?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop showing us how much smarter you are then everyone else. Go to Atlanta and prove it on your rail design on those two tables.

And of course I can’t give you 1000 bad examples. I’m giving you local to me examples.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Stop showing us how much smarter you are then everyone else. Go to Atlanta and prove it on your rail design on those two tables.

And of course I can’t give you 1000 bad examples. I’m giving you local to me examples.

Then I'd suggest you get right on it, maybe you can show Diamond a thing or two about how smart you really are!!