Jason Shaw, classless?

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Just curious how many have seen this guy play other than in the MC? He's been known to show-his-ass more than a few times. I think he has one of THE worst attitudes i've seen in pool in a while, up there with that other a-hole Dechaine. As for McEnroe? He's still a spoiled Long Island douche. Royalty? Gimme a break.

I have seen him play, in person, on a couple occasions.

Jayson Shaw displayed class and respect every time I watched him play in person. No acting out, not doing anything but sitting in his chair patiently waiting when it wasn't his turn. Just because someone sees a YouTube clip of a person acting up in certain situations doesn't mean that's who they are. It would be classless to assume so.

Is spelling his first name wrong in the title of this fantastic thread classless? :cool:

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
The way I see it is people are people, there are all kinds. Some people I like to hang out with and some not so much. IMO Efren is the epitome of good character, doesnt talk $hit, doesnt complain, always shows respect for his opponent and not afraid to laugh at himself when he makes a mistake or gets "lucky". Jason on the other hand... let's just say I'd prefer to hang out with Efren.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
OMG, quit with your Shaw crying....

1. I'm a huge SVB fan, far greater than Shaw.
2. Shaw was pumping up the crowd during his turn at the table. Who gives a crap what he does during his time at the table.
3. He wasn't a sore loser, he didn't act out when he was in his chair or after the match. Shaw a great sport.
4. 99% of the people here giving Shaw crap will defend Earl 100% of the time.... Earl has disrespected the MC many many many times, yet folks here will give him a pass every single time.
5. Come'on mannnnnnnnnnnnnn, see #4.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG, quit with your Shaw crying....

1. I'm a huge SVB fan, far greater than Shaw.
2. Shaw was pumping up the crowd during his turn at the table. Who gives a crap what he does during his time at the table.
3. He wasn't a sore loser, he didn't act out when he was in his chair or after the match. Shaw a great sport.
4. 99% of the people here giving Shaw crap will defend Earl 100% of the time.... Earl has disrespected the MC many many many times, yet folks here will give him a pass every single time.
5. Come'on mannnnnnnnnnnnnn, see #4.
99%? really? where’s that come from?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pretty sure Match Room tells the players to ham it some for the cameras, this event was broadcast on a major TV channel to around 150 countries worldwide.

It's all about gettings TV ratings and to do that they need to get people watching besides the hard core pool fan base.

After the event was over and TV cameras were turned off Shaw went over and gave all the American Players big hugs and he seemed genuinely happy for them.

48319986_10156677004800115_2084514879070273536_o.jpg

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pretty sure Match Room tells the players to ham it some for the cameras, this event was broadcast on a major TV channel to around 150 countries worldwide.

It's all about gettings TV ratings and to do that they need to get people watching besides the hard core pool fan base.

After the event was over and TV cameras were turned off Shaw went over and gave all the American Players big hugs and he seemed genuinely happy for them.

View attachment 507371
And Shane’s new earrings were apparently hurting his lobes.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did everyone miss the end of Shaw vs Sky when Sky was motioning to the crowd and jumping around before sinking the final 9 ball? Shaw had a little smile on his face while watching Sky play to the audience.

Shaw went to shake his hand and US celebrated. Shaw went to pack up his stuff and when Sky did come over they shook hands. Shaw was not upset at all.

Everything they do is to pump up the crowd. Mosconi is purely for entertainment. These pros do nothing like this in the tournaments week in and week out. Players on both teams did these things.

Shaw does have a temper but most of these guys do at one time or another.

It may be bad for pool if there was an actual fight during the Mosconi Cup. What the players did showing emotion instead of acting like robots is great for the game. There is nothing more boring than watching emotionless players run a cosmo layout in 9 ball.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The MC is similar to that of the Ryder Cup. It's one of the only golf tournaments where it is expected for the players and crowd to let loose and go crazy for a bit in the name of their Country.

I feel certain that Shaw, and any others, were doing this in an effort to pump their team and crowd.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how many have seen this guy play other than in the MC? He's been known to show-his-ass more than a few times. I think he has one of THE worst attitudes i've seen in pool in a while, up there with that other a-hole Dechaine. As for McEnroe? He's still a spoiled Long Island douche. Royalty? Gimme a break.

I for one can say I've seen him in person several times. He has been much, much, much, much, much, much.....oh yeah, did I say much worse??... than what he showed at the cup this year.

Have most other players done the same?... sure but not on a regular basis the way the select few have done and keep doing.

I've said it before, there are way to many strong players today to "have to" put up with "anyone" unless his/her game is worth it.

Worth it, that's the rub for most. To most, well, he is not worth it. Anyone that disagrees, go to "any room" and ask aloud and you will find that most say, "he's a great player but...". It's that "BUT" that does and will continue to hurt his rep with serious players like myself.

Sure, the less serious masses do and will continue to love him for the same reason they loved the wrestler Rick Flare (spelling??) and a lot other pro like Hulk H. etc...etc..

Maybe "if" his game gets to the point where it overshadows his actions he will get the respect that Earl got/gets eventhough his actions was not much better in his youth and are even worse today..... but keep in mind, Earl "The Pearl" Strickland will be remembered as well as "ANY" other pro to ever hold a cue in their hands. Shaw is not in that category IMHO. Will he ever be? I truly hope so. Time will tell.

One last thing:

Social media!!!

I, like a lot of folks witnessed Earl being a huge jerk in his prime but his game was even bigger. Just couldn't help but overlook it in person. If those same situations had been online to the masses like today, would he still have been so popular with the "serious" and more "knowledgeable" players???... who knows.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Watched the day two match last nite between SBV and Shaw. I realize there is a little history between them but, celebrating during the match, and.even before completing a game seems to me to be classless. Then after the match celebrating as if Europe won the cup. Classless! What are your opinions.

It's entertainment. At the 2017 US Open finals, he was all class, and lights out against a worn out Kaci....

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your question he has a class. One of the nicest people you’ll ever want to meet. Just puts on a good show!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw's conduct was perfectly acceptable to me. Team Europe under Marcus Chamat is a wild bunch of very spirited players, and they know how to fire up the fans. The energy they create is good for both Team Europe and the Mosconi Cup.

Oddly enough, though, along with a few others who sat near me, I felt Jayson, at times, broke his own concentration with his in-match cheerleading. At least once, he had to use his extension because he had spent most of the shot clock cheerleading, and it came back to bite him as he had to give a tough shot insufficient consideration later in the rack. Jayson clearly toned it down a few notches in Session 4 during Match 17 against Styer, so perhaps he knew that he needed to be more focused on the play itself with Team Europe trying to stage a comeback that only barely fell short of forcing the captain's pick match,

Shaw's passionate and, yes, demonstrative, enthusiasm is both excusable and welcome. Was he loud? Yes, but he was also respectful and civil in his manner.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Yeah I dont post much.
Basically I was wondering if that's true

Some people just enjoy gutting another on line from their keyboard. Nothing more, it gives them satisfaction in their own world..............the new normal when on line for many.