Votes: 28 93.3%
  • Play safe

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
:)

Just curious when faced with a tough shot for the win , do you go for the win or play safe and hope to get another chance ?

Let's assume minimal balls left on the table and the safe being nearly equal in difficulty.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
:)

Just curious when faced with a tough shot for the win , do you go for the win or play safe and hope to get another chance ?

Let's assume minimal balls left on the table and the safe being nearly equal in difficulty.

If there is not clear better percentage...I go to a second set of tie breakers that make my decision...

How good is my opponent?
What is the scort of the set?

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
So you don't factor yourself into it , confidence, gut feelings ,etc? Just play the percentages ?

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
So you don't factor yourself into it , confidence, gut feelings ,etc? Just play the percentages ?

I should qualify this by saying that I am very analytical by nature...(a thinker if you will)...probably more than I should in most cases...

I guess I would answer the above by saying that I use the percentages to gain my gut feeling of what is the right shot at that moment.

I expect there are some that do the exact opposite...Take their gut feeling first and then apply the percentages to validate or change thier gut feeling..

I guess identify the type of person you are considered.

Driver
Thinker
Relator
Socializer

That personality type may be the catalyst for how you make your decisions...

Or.......I could be WAY off base here also....I am not sure...but that is my take on it...:)

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
If the safe is equally difficult, go for the win!

In my experience though, when I am faced with a shot I don't like during the endgame, there is usually an easy safe available.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
crappoolguy said:
If the percentages are equal, always take the agressive option.

Interestingly....I belive that is a poker philosophy of sorts..... I can see how you would apply in pool as well..

It would sure eliminate (possibly unecessary) overthinking...

Good comment...

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
BRKNRUN said:
I should qualify this by saying that I am very analytical by nature...(a thinker if you will)...probably more than I should in most cases...

I guess I would answer the above by saying that I use the percentages to gain my gut feeling of what is the right shot at that moment.

I expect there are some that do the exact opposite...Take their gut feeling first and then apply the percentages to validate or change thier gut feeling..

I guess identify the type of person you are considered.

Driver
Thinker
Relator
Socializer

That personality type may be the catalyst for how you make your decisions...

Or.......I could be WAY off base here also....I am not sure...but that is my take on it...:)

Definately a possibility and partly why I asked for other opinions.

I'm pretty much a take the chance kinda person , even in a longshot (with in reason). I'd rather hold my own fate than sit back and hope. It is of course , not always the best choice in all situations but part of it for me is trying to focus on positive aspects as much as possible. Seeing the different ways to win or make the shot as opposed to what happens if I missed. . . kinda thing.

The mental stuff is always the hardest to quantify and maintain consistancy in IMO. I'm always curious about how other people look at things.

av84fun

Banned
I generally agree that if the safety and tough shot are of about equal difficulty, take the shot.

However, there are SO many variables that the above only proves that generalizations are often dangerous.

I would include AT LEAST the following in my decision.

1. Can I leave the opponent either safe or tough if I take the shot?

2. If the available safety is a "tough leave" vs. a possible hook, how good a banker and/or return safety player is my opponent?

Regards,
Jim

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
av84fun said:
I generally agree that if the safety and tough shot are of about equal difficulty, take the shot.

However, there are SO many variables that the above only proves that generalizations are often dangerous.

2. If the available safety is a "tough leave" vs. a possible hook, how good a banker and/or return safety player is my opponent?

Regards,
Jim

I'm more curious about initial thoughts/reactions rather than thought out decision play.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
It is of course , not always the best choice in all situations but part of it for me is trying to focus on positive aspects as much as possible. Seeing the different ways to win or make the shot as opposed to what happens if I missed. . . kinda thing.

Would you ever take the tough shot and try to run out instead of the safety, even if you think it is not the best choice in that situation?

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
Would you ever take the tough shot and try to run out instead of the safety, even if you think it is not the best choice in that situation?

Like 'generally' , it's always the first thing I like for. My initial thought is how can I get out , or what are my shot making options. When all the falls thru then I think of passive moves.Of course there is a line where the risk to far outways the reward , especially when I'm not playing as well as I can.

I guess it's from too many years of competitive paintball , I'm always looking to be aggrasive , maybe too much sometimes I'll admit but it has failed my far less than being too passive. I'll rather go out shooting and at least take one with me , than sit there and get shot. ;)

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
As an exotic male dancer, I've been considering testicular enhancement surgery as well as botox injections to get rid of those embarassing wrinkles. Can anyone who has had either of these treatments provide some feedback on their efficacy? Wait, what's this thread about?

av84fun

Banned
RRfireblade said:
Like 'generally' , it's always the first thing I like for. My initial thought is how can I get out , or what are my shot making options. When all the falls thru then I think of passive moves.Of course there is a line where the risk to far outways the reward , especially when I'm not playing as well as I can.

I guess it's from too many years of competitive paintball , I'm always looking to be aggrasive , maybe too much sometimes I'll admit but it has failed my far less than being too passive. I'll rather go out shooting and at least take one with me , than sit there and get shot. ;)

Safeties can often be VERY aggressive, rack-deciding moves.

Jim

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:

Regards,
Jim

I like it, I like it!!