Little Joe taught me how to see!!!

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
He taught me how to see!!!

That is the best way to describe it, Little Joe Villalpando Teaches you what and how to see the CB and OB relationship. I had Little Joe’s video for maybe a year before I actually met him in DCC this year and I was always impressed with it. Being from Chicago where nowhere on the planet earth will you find a tougher audience or group of people to impress with anything that you can bring to the stage. I was a struggling “C-” player or a skill level 4 according to APA standards and going nowhere fast, in fact I may have been hustling backwards as my dad would say.

I saw little Joe downstairs selling his DVD’s earlier in the morning and asked when the 3rd DVD was coming out and he told me he was working on it but trying to get his former students back together was a problem and with that I left to watch some matches. Well into the night in the azbilliard’s room about 2:00 am in comes little Joe while I was playing some guy and he watches me struggle to put a 2 ball run together. He offers me some advice and pretty soon I give him one of my cues and we start to play each other but he is teaching me all along. Well 2 ball runs turn into 3 ball runs and 3 balls turn into 4 and so on and so on and before you know it its 4:00 in the morning and I am playing pretty good. I knew right then that I was going to see him in Iowa. My thinking is that if he brought me this far in 2 hours how far could I go with 2 days?

It took a few months but by the end of May I finally booked a 2 day weekend with him and drove from Atlanta, Georgia to Davenport, Iowa a 13 hour move one way to see him. When I got there I got settled into my motel we went and had dinner at Red Lobster where I told him what I wanted to accomplish (my wish list) 1. I had not run a rack of 9 balls in 2 years so that cycle needed to be broken. 2. My CB positioning sucked big time and needed to be addressed. 3. I needed to play good enough to get kicked out of my C&D tournament back home. Well with that established we agreed to meet at 9:00 am Saturday for breakfast and go to work.

With breakfast out of the way we went to Jesse Bowman’s place to get started but we were a bit to early so went over the bridge across the Mississippi River into Illinois to another pool room and went to work. We ran into a couple of guys getting there drink on way before noon and they knew him they said from somewhere but could not remember where. They were pretty cool guys and after a short interruption we went back to work. It is amazing at the amount of people that know him who he has never seen before. If you have seen his DVD’s you feel like you have known him all your life. Little Joe did not try to change my stance because it was ok although I was up for a total make over if that was going to help. What he did show me was how to see the CB and OB correctly something that has changed my entire perspective of the game. All of us see the ball but do not REALLY, REALLY see the ball. I have had a few instructors who are great players in my eyes but none of them ever showed me how to SEE the CB and OB ball and this is the key to little Joe’s teaching.

Your stance, grip, pre-shot routine although important is not going to help you if you are not able to SEE what you SHOULD be hitting. He fixed my bridge and did not bother my stroke because there was nothing wrong with it and talked me through what I should be looking at. Little Joe leads by example and this is helpful because I am a visual person like most people. If I can see that it can be done then I know that it is humanly possible therefore I know that I can do it. We worked on some drills and went over some kicks with the clock system and broke for lunch. After lunch we went back to Jesses Bowman place and went right back at it shoulder to the wheel and before I knew it, it was time for dinner. Man this guy can eat and knows all the good places to eat. I put on 8 pounds in 2 days that I still have not been able to get rid of. After dinner we went back at it and the next thing you know it was 2:00 am and my head was about to explode with all the information that he gave me and he was still going like the energizer bunny. We knocked it off and saved some for Sunday.

Sunday at 9:00 am we went and got some breakfast at this super market with a funny name I think it was Schnuck Markets or something like that but a real nice place. Little Joe has a ton of stories and if you have been reading anything about pool and some of its characters you can fill in the blanks and connect a lot of this events together. After 2 days with Joe my pool mind had reached critical mass and I had to write down some of the stuff that I knew I would not remember just for safe keeping.

Now my mind is fertile ground for planting pool knowledge seeds and he leaves me with this very, very important tidbit that it is going to take about 90 days for all of this to sink in and work for you so give it time to catch root so to speak and don’t get frustrated. I hear and I obey. We played all day for only 12 hours this time and he still has not taken a moment off. Now Joe is no spring chicken but I did not think that anyone could put in more time at the pool table than me. When I was not working I could do 12 hours standing on one leg at the table but Joe has got me beat by a long shot.

I leave that Monday morning feeling like a world beater and can’t wait to turn this new dog in me on some unsuspecting regular at my pool room and I was not disappointed. I placed 3rd in a moonshine tournament that we had and it felt dam good. After cashing at that tournament I hit a dry spell and at times it felt like I was going in reverse and then it happened. August 27 was about the 90 day period and It all became as clear as day.

All the things that I was taught and I started working like a well oiled machine. The run outs started coming effortlessly and the patterns appeared from nowhere and getting to the next shot was like taking a taxi. I cashed in 2 more tournaments and I feel like I am a threat to any one of them that I enter. Thank you Little Joe for all of your work and I will see you at the Atlanta Billiard Expo this week.
http://pooliq.net/index.htm

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
a little friendly advice

dude:eek:....i would love to read that but I'd have to put it on my big screen.....

WALL OF TEXT....this isn't the matrix please insert some spaces and shorten to much smaller paragraphs....that way people can actually read the things your saying.

Trying to read that would drive me and many others batty.:wink:

-Grey Ghost

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Lil Joe is definitely the man.. I consider him as a friend and have learned much from him as well. I'd love to get up there for a couple of days as well. Glad it worked out so well for you, Joe is def. one of the best IMHO!

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I'm also a student of Little Joe's in a sense. I used to drive truck through there about 6-7 years ago. I would stop in at Millers and Joe would take my money. But every time I handed him my cash he would teach me for another couple hours. This may sound kinda funny but I couldn't wait to get through there and give him more. Joe is a great instructor and person.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chi2dxa...No offense, but for most players, just "seeing" things 'correctly' doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to get the job done. Stance, grip and preshot routines are every bit as important. This isn't meant to dinegrate your experience. Joe is a great teacher. That said, I'll guarantee you that if your 'process' did not have the necessary elements, he would focus on those first...and then incorporate the "visual" aspects. Good instructors don't try to change things in people that do not need changing either. That said, they are trained observers, who can "see" when something is not working correctly, and offer the student a means to correct those errors.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Your stance, grip, pre-shot routine although important is not going to help you if you are not able to SEE what you SHOULD be hitting. He fixed my bridge and did not bother my stroke because there was nothing wrong with it and talked me through what I should be looking at.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Chi2dxa...No offense, but for most players, just "seeing" things 'correctly' doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to get the job done.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

So how would you teach a BLIND MAN who can't see to play pool?:wink:

BTW I have both Lil Joe's DVD's, and say they are more than worth the price charged for said material.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little Joe

BTW I have both Lil Joe's DVD's, and say they are more than worth the price charged for said material.

I just started work on an electronic grid that will be sewn into the cloth every quarter inch and there will be a continuous sound from the center of each pocket and another from the cueball and then a third from the object ball position. Eventuall I will hard wire this into a computer implant and the blind person will "see" the screen in their mind.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bruce...Already been there, and done that. The blind player made a trickshot in front of a huge crowd, in one try, and got the applause of his life!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I am not kidding. It was February 2003, at College of DuPage (26,000 students), outside Chicago. I had plenty of witnesses, in case you'd care to wager!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

100% BLIND, not just legally blind? There is a difference, as we have a gentleman who has macular degeneration, who is legally blind but still tries and play pool. He say the Stick has a Big Bow in it, but he knows it don’t!

I don't be on anything unless I know the outcome, that is why it is called gambling.

ONE CENT Slot Machines are the Exception!

Now we return to our regular programing..Little Joes DVD's are GREAT!!!!!!:smile::wink:

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
100% BLIND, not just legally blind? There is a difference, as we have a gentleman who has macular degeneration, who is legally blind but still tries and play pool. He say the Stick has a Big Bow in it, but he knows it don’t!

I don't be on anything unless I know the outcome, that is why it is called gambling.

ONE CENT Slot Machines are the Exception!

Now we return to our regular programing..Little Joes DVD's are GREAT!!!!!!:smile::wink:

I read this thread twice to figure out what you're saying and I'm lost. You're either being stupid on purpose or you totally missed what the original poster is trying to say. He's not referring to seeing as in sight - he's referring to perception and visualization.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First you will need a new cue:

159.jpg

notnilc20

notnilc20
Silver Member
It's Schnuck's ......with an apostrophe "s". Yeah, it's a pretty nice grocery store.:grin-square:

Also, if I was the guy to get beat by the blind guy.....I think I might convince myself to take up badminton. Probably had a huge handicap.

Last edited:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little Joes DVD's are really a must have. Very important info clearly presented and guaranteed to improve your game with their presentation of tangent lines and how to work the lines Also, kicking will never make more sense.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Chi2dxa...No offense, but for most players, just "seeing" things 'correctly' doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to get the job done. Stance, grip and preshot routines are every bit as important. This isn't meant to dinegrate your experience. Joe is a great teacher. That said, I'll guarantee you that if your 'process' did not have the necessary elements, he would focus on those first...and then incorporate the "visual" aspects. Good instructors don't try to change things in people that do not need changing either. That said, they are trained observers, who can "see" when something is not working correctly, and offer the student a means to correct those errors.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Like always (almost bored, rofl :grin-square:) perfect posting..

It s the most important thing to be able to detect the mistakes from a student. That s why i always use the camera in the first meeting- to show him what s wrong. And then make clear what will happen in the upcoming lessons.

Further enjoyed the article from the *thread-master*^^
its always great if someone got so much from an instructor session like him. It will help him for a life-time in pool. (hopefully :p)

lg
Ingo