Thread: Chicago player
View Single Post
Old
  (#39)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-14-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez View Post
He didn’t play Artie in his prime. He played Artie about a decade ago —- well beyond his prime (whatever that was). Unfortunately there wasn’t much record keeping back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Barely any in the 90s. I’ve been around pool since the mid to late 80s. Never heard of Artie and very little of Freddie for that matter. They have stories of who they beat but no one really knows. All I know is the only one pocket players that were talked about from Chicago from my early years around pool were Bugs, The Dasher....you could also include Jeff Carter. Bugs obviously being the cream of the crop.
Well, Bugs and Artie played all the time. Freddy and Bugs were buddies. Hell, Freddy raised the money to bury Bugs. That's how Freddy rolled. If you needed something, he'd help you out. And Artie beat Bugs regularly. Bugs spotted Artie a ball, not that it made a difference, but Artie never wanted it be known that he beat bugs "even"... just bad for action But, if you were from the area, did you know Tommy Spencer, Bill Incardona, Cannonball, Mark Jarvis, Luis Campos, Billy Smith (AKA as Mr. 3 Cushion) There is a long list. If you didn't know all them, i'm thinking you were not as tight as you thought in the pool scene. The guys that played and gambled knew, there is no way they didn't. Mark Jarvis turned pro for awhile. Still plays at DCC in banks. Strickland to Varner to Efren have been to the North Shore. I went off to college and left the pool scene for about 15 years.

and by the 80's, Artie was gone to Vegas to make his millions. But, anyone in the pool world knew both Artie and Freddy in Chicago. Nobody came through Chicago to gamble didn't stop at the North Shore. it was open 24 hours a day and had cash poker games going on in the office. Plus, carom tables, snooker tables and even high action Pinochle games. My old man could not hold his own with local great players, but in Pinochle, nobody could touch him.

And for Freddy, growing up with him, even sometimes I was not sure about his stories to be honest. I mean, he had a story for everything, claimed he knew everyone, etc.

So, about 15 years ago, I'm at DCC for the first time. Freddy had a booth there selling his new book. So, I thought I'd hang and chit chat with him as I had not seen him in a few years. I kid you not, everyone and anyone stopped by to say hi. Pro after pro, hustler after hustler, even the Italian trick shot artist Mr. Pelinga stopped by. Then Efren stops by, and he's wearing one of Freddy's shirts.

I was speechless. He does know everyone. If I had half a brain I would have gotten 3 dozen or more autographs that day, but I was too happy getting to meet everyone. From that day on I never doubted him again, about anything. Sometimes folks with the most stories just did the most stuff

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Last edited by ChicagoRJ; 08-14-2019 at 06:32 PM.