Shame on you, Derby. Should be same rules for everyone...

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
At my first DCC I played Brumback in one-pocket, and ran 8-and-out to make it 2-2 and my break. I collected the balls, realized I owed a ball, and we called the TD and he said I lost the game, and lost the match 3-1 instead.

Now Darren did the SAME on the TV-table. They replace the balls, and continue playing.

It should have been automatically loss of game for him too... Is it because he is a world champ? :cool::confused:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At my first DCC I played Brumback in one-pocket, and ran 8-and-out to make it 2-2 and my break. I collected the balls, realized I owed a ball, and we called the TD and he said I lost the game, and lost the match 3-1 instead.

Now Darren did the SAME on the TV-table. They replace the balls, and continue playing.

It should have been automatically loss of game for him too... Is it because he is a world champ? :cool::confused:
If it was the same ref there is a problem. On the other hand, maybe Darren's opponent said "That's it. .... Oops, no, you owed one."

Figuring out what to do when the player is acting as the referee is often a problem. In general I don't think a player should be penalized for an "innocent" mistake when acting as the referee in an unrefereed match.

Last edited:

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They called Shane on a similar situation last night in the bank final and he lost the game.

It should be the same rules for everyone. I walked in right as that happened. From what I could tell, Appleton only moved two balls. Perhaps since they could replace those balls and keep playing it wasn't loss of game. I did see that the ref called a foul on Darren and he had to spot a ball.

Maybe if Kenny Schuman was here he would have given the game to Miller. I don't know.

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You lost the game when you picked up (swept) the balls before you ACTUALLY had 8 CREDITED balls, also "if" Darren did the same thing...he LOST the game too. I have no clue why they would/should of made an exception in his case. It is not like it is an "unknown" rule. As a matter of fact, I would think in THAT sized field....it will happen 10 to 20 times over the course of the tournament

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
This is not the first time that the DCC has made an exception for a player.

In Roy's example - it should not matter who the ref is. There should be a set of rules and all refs should have to stick by them.

Remember it cost David Matlock the all around a few years ago for an exception they made for Corey and Efren to basically get byes in the 9 ball because they had to play the finals of the one pocket. It was pretty deep into the 9 ball event and each would have definitely played a player capable of beating them in a race to 7 - thus effecting the outcome of the all around.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rules are rules and of course should be the same for everyone. Roy, I think they should fly you back on their dime to your next DCC...customer is always right!!:)

On another note, I feel Truman made an error in the Bank Ring Game. He didn't know what to do so he asked John Brumback and they both asked Shannon. Jones scratched with the last ball on the table sitting in the pocket in the kitchen. They did not know what to do so Shannon said to spot it. IMO it should not have been spotted as the game allowed for kicks. Gotta always remember the rules and follow them. This is just an example how things in pool seem to happen due to lack of knowledge or disregard for rules.
:angry:

Gary

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bummer Roy, but in one pocket that's why I always let my opponent move the first ball.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member

Darren didn't do the same thing as you according to what you're saying. You say you collected the balls. Darren only moved 2 balls and didn't touch any others when he was told he still owed one. In your situation, it would be impossible to put all the balls back. In his situation, most of the balls were still in their original location.

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Moving all the balls was the big foul.........rack it up as a lesson.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rules are rules and of course should be the same for everyone. Roy, I think they should fly you back on their dime to your next DCC...customer is always right!!:)

On another note, I feel Truman made an error in the Bank Ring Game. He didn't know what to do so he asked John Brumback and they both asked Shannon. Jones scratched with the last ball on the table sitting in the pocket in the kitchen. They did not know what to do so Shannon said to spot it. IMO it should not have been spotted as the game allowed for kicks. Gotta always remember the rules and follow them. This is just an example how things in pool seem to happen due to lack of knowledge or disregard for rules.
:angry:

Gary
The rule is that if all balls are behind the line the nearest one will be spotted if the shooter requests it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like it should be loss of game, I don't see how you could ever get the balls exactly back where they were.

Lousy way to lose, sounds like something I would do. I've raked the break ball inadvertently to end a 14.1 run. Brain fart.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry about your lost Roy.

You must have forgot to put a coin on the rail by the pocket where you owed a ball? To make you remember! Moving the balls was what made it a lost for you. If he had moved the balls it would have been his lost!!!! It should have been a lost for Darren also! I think!!!!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren didn't do the same thing as you according to what you're saying. You say you collected the balls. Darren only moved 2 balls and didn't touch any others when he was told he still owed one. In your situation, it would be impossible to put all the balls back. In his situation, most of the balls were still in their original location.

Yes...he did.

There was only one object ball on the table when SVB moved it and started to rack the balls - cost him the game

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For that reason, I don`t have respect for the Tournament Directors. I don`t care for them. Some times, some of them are sleezy.
Feel sorry for your loss of match in that manner.:sorry::sorry::sorry::cool::sorry::sorry::sorry:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Would love to hear from someone who was present at Darren's match and can satisfactorily explain the ruling in his favor. So far we haven't heard it.

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The difference in the 2 sounds like saying its ok she is just a little pregnant. LOL pregnant is pregnant and move one ball or all the rule is broke.

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken shuman seems a little biased in shady in my opinion...just saying, not trying to start anything but I be been at the open this year and the derby and I be seen more than one thing that to me was a little "off"