Just some standard 'Lockdown' Shot Drills

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This virus has most of us are stuck home alone has. I thought I'd share this if you want to keep your game sharp, have access to a table and want to try something new. These drills were given to me long time ago and they're a big part of my usual practice routine. They're based on the German PAT training system and they're a very good workout, at least they help me a lot. Repeat each shot until you make five, then repeat from the other side of the table. I just keep a mental note on how many I make/miss, some days i'm sharp, some not so much, but overall I keep slowly improving. Give it a shot, hope you like it.

Attachments

• PAT Std Shot Drills.jpg
    PAT Std Shot Drills.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, putting little dots on your table at the intersections of the diamonds with a Sharpy pen or pencil makes setting up drills easier and you don't otherwise notice them when playing.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks good! I’d be out doing them now if I didn’t have this bad neck muscle. Maybe tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a neat banking drill for one pocket players. Often, when shooting from the kitchen, a frozen rail bank shot presents itself. Each of this shots require a halfball hit/aim, making them pretty handy to know, especially with a ball in hand behind the head string.

With the cb anywhere along the center line between cb and ob, as shown with these four different shots, it's a dead halfball bank shot to the corner. Works great as long as the cb is at least a foot or more away from the ob. Shoot them one at time. If you line them all up as shown the adjacent ball will probably be in the way since they are froze to the rail at only quarter diamond intervals.

picture.php

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here is a neat banking drill for one pocket players. Often, when shooting from the kitchen, a frozen rail bank shot presents itself. Each of this shots require a halfball hit/aim, making them pretty handy to know, especially with a ball in hand behind the head string.

With the cb anywhere along the center line between cb and ob, as shown with these four different shots, it's a dead halfball bank shot to the corner. Works great as long as the cb is at least a foot or more away from the ob. Shoot them one at time. If you line them all up as shown the adjacent ball will probably be in the way since they are froze to the rail at only quarter diamond intervals.

picture.php
I like the idea of memorizing references (I do it with these same banks/kicks), but I must be missing something here. Seems like hitting all these balls at the same bank angle should send them on parallel paths...?

pj
chgo

banks.jpg

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the idea of memorizing references (I do it with these same banks/kicks), but I must be missing something here. Seems like hitting all these balls at the same bank angle should send them on parallel paths...?

pj
chgo

View attachment 545664

The angles shift a bit with each shot. Note that the actual shot/aim line is to the edge of the ob, not to center ob as shown in the illustration. So each shot is slightly different.

These lines are not parallel with each other. There is about a 0.5° change in angle for each line. In other words, the approach from cushion to pocket widens out a bit as you move the ob toward the head string.

Also these aren't exactly memorized references. There is a very predictable system to frozen rail banks all along the cushion. Freddy the Beard touched on it with a couple of shots in his book, but I'm not sure if he figured the rest of it out. If so, he kept it a secret. Anyhow, it's very useful.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The angles shift a bit with each shot. Note that the actual shot/aim line is to the edge of the ob, not to center ob as shown in the illustration. So each shot is slightly different.

Also these aren't exactly memorized references. There is a very predictable system to frozen rail banks all along the cushion. Freddy the Beard touched on it with a couple of shots in his book, but I'm not sure if he figured the rest of it out. If so, he kept it a secret. Anyhow, it's very useful.
Thanks for the explanation. Here's my "reference" system for similar banks/kicks (full ball slow hits for banks; centerball rolling hits for kicks).

Solid lines show theoretical equal-angle paths aimed at the cushion nose; dashed lines show actual aim lines (aimed at points on the rail behind each equal-angle spot).

Shots on the left show where to shoot from on the end rail at each long rail diamond. Shots on the right show where to shoot to on the long rail from each end rail diamond.

pj
chgo

short-long rail banks-kicks.jpg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
There is a very predictable system to frozen rail banks all along the cushion. Freddy the Beard touched on it with a couple of shots in his book, but I'm not sure if he figured the rest of it out. If so, he kept it a secret. Anyhow, it's very useful.
Dr. Dave also has a system for aiming fast or frozen banks - he increases the angle 1/3 diamond from the equal-angle (maybe that's equivalent to your half-ball hits?).

https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/bank-kick/fast-system/

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the explanation. Here's my "reference" system for similar banks/kicks (full ball slow hits for banks; centerball rolling hits for kicks).

Solid lines show theoretical equal-angle paths aimed at the cushion nose; dashed lines show actual aim lines (aimed at points on the rail behind each equal-angle spot).

Shots on the left show where to shoot from on the end rail at each long rail diamond. Shots on the right show where to shoot to on the long rail from each end rail diamond.

pj
chgo

View attachment 545677

Very nice, useful information. Something to work on! Thanks PJ.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This is for full ball hits, straight banks. What I'm referring to is fractional banks. I'll post another sketch to show the difference.
Yes, that's why I wondered if your half ball cuts might be equivalent to his wider full ball hits...?

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks - gonna try those out...

pj
chgo

Naturally, since I'm referencing the centerline between the balls, it works best when the cb is at least a foot or more from the ob. When closer than that the shots start coming up a little short, but nothing that a little spin can't offset.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Music? ...................

The music is a copyright free option with YouTube/Google. I had never used that option so figured I'd check it out. I also uploaded the same clip with commentary instead of music.