View Single Post
Old
  (#51)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-04-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPoland View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'll chime in.

Lacking History
I don't know a lot of the history of pool through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I don't expect many younger players do either. About the first 15 years of playing pool for me was all 8 ball and 9 ball. So I didn't look into 10 ball, banks, or 1 pocket until more recently. All I have to go off of is currently published rules or watching more recent matches on YouTube.

Essence of 10 Ball
So for me 10 ball has never been 9 ball with an extra ball. Without knowing it's exact history, it's only ever been what it is today which I interpret as being similar to 9 ball but taking more of the "Texas Express" out of it. And the posted rules are all I have to go off of.

10 Ball on the Snap
Normally I wouldn't assume the 10b on the break is a winner given published rules. And I always assume "racker's corners" rules only apply to rack your own. And I would also wonder if "racker's corners" rules make sense in 10b anyway because the rack shape is different and I'm not sure there's common unintentional (or intentional) gap configuration that'll make the 10 ball favor those pockets like it does in 9 ball.

Ring Games
But, in the end it is a ring game. So money is meant to be paid often. I've just never encountered a 10ball ring game before. I remember really being confused trying to learn all the rules and etiquette of a 9 ball ring game but I could tell the people teaching me have seen it hundreds of times. I'm not sure the same could be said of 10 ball ring games in terms of local experts. It does feel like it needs to be talked through first given how 10 ball is already a bit like 8 ball in terms of various house rules.
I've been in a 10 ball ring game. If you are the outsider you have to outrun the nuts to get the cash.