View Single Post
Old
  (#52)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-04-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
!0 ball was traditionally played just like 9 ball??? Why bother adding the 10th ball then?? To me it seems kinda silly to play 10b just like 9b where slop counts, I was under the impression that 10b has always been a call shot game and thats what really separated it from 9 ball.
I like that you are so surprised. You wouldn't be alone. And now that WPA 10-ball rules have been around for 15 years or so, less and less people remember how traditional 10-ball was played. Even some of the early TAR matches, the rules used for the 10-ball challenges were in flux. And of course today's Big Foot Challenge is played old school (no call).

Aside from gamboling and ring games in the 70's, professional 10-ball events were played in the late 1980's and early 1990's, no call shot just like 9-ball. It was clearly a different game than 9-ball due to the break leaving so many balls in the middle of the table. That one extra ball and the pyramid rack made way more than just a 10% difference. Remember that we didn't have template racks and the cloth hadn't transitioned to Simonis 860 yet. Combine that all, and 10-ball was some 25% more difficult than 9-ball. Players like Allen Hopkins perfected the "1-ball in the side pocket" break.

10-ball, because of the layouts leaving balls in the center of the table, was much more difficult to runout. And making nothing on the break was the norm as there wasn't the automatic wing ball on the break.

10-ball was my practice game for over 20 years before the WPA surprised us with changing to calling shots. I totally understand whythe WPA changed the rules so that 10-ball could stand on its own apart from 9-ball as a World Championship discipline, but the rules were changed. Older players who loved 10-ball already are going to hold grudges.

Freddie <~~~ grudges in hands

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Last edited by Cornerman; 08-04-2020 at 10:39 AM.