Squirt versus Throw

blehnhard

Registered
Is there a set distance that squirt (deflection) and throw cancel each other out or would it be "speed" dependent?

Thanks,

Bruce

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there a set distance that squirt (deflection) and throw cancel each other out or would it be "speed" dependent?

Thanks,

Bruce

Yes, and yes. There's a downloadable book titled "The Flight of the Cue Ball", by Robin Kelly. I don't have it (yet) but I believe it deals with exactly what you are asking about. It has some good reviews on Amazon, so it's probably a good book with some very useful info.

The Flight of the Cue Ball, by Robin Kelly

JC

Coos Cues

Thanks,

Bruce

It's different for every cue but yes there is an exact point but it's not "set". Speed, distance and also bridge length is a factor. You have to know your equipment and practice a lot and your muscles will memorize it.

JC

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

Bruce
Since swerve generally acts more on softer shots, and throw is greater for softer shots, I think it is unlikely that you will find any shot with side spin for which the aim is not speed dependent.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn it all Scott. I know who he is but I don't think he knows who I am. I try to keep a low freakin' profile.

Have you been in Virginia lately with that annoying plate?

I think I'll look for your car, the one with the flat tires, at SBE.

blehnhard

Registered
Hey Buzzard II,

How about owning up - have we played each other over the last couple of years? If we haven't, I would look forward to you giving me my usual "a** whooping at the table.

Best,

Bruce

blehnhard

Registered
Scott - you and Sgt. Schultz (Hogan's Heroes) have much in common. Gonna PM "Jimmy da Vig" (alias Buzzard II).

As always, appreciate your insights to all the many questions on the Instructor's Forum.

If I could get my pocketing skills up to par with my position skills, I would be a much better player.

Bruce