View Single Post
Old
  (#12)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

04-07-2005, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm
Yes, nothing would be better for pro pool than to showcase somebody who has disgraced the sport so often. I think sending out the message that a poolplaying legend can be edgy to the point of sometmes abusing opponents, referees and sometimes even paying customers who fail to applaud his efforts is just what pool needs. Showcasing a guy who quits in the middle of a final of a tournament because he doesn't like the racks is just the image we wish to portray of today's pro pool players. I'm sure such a film would fill the seats at every pro pool event everywhere.

What hurts pool is the image that the poolplayer is a self-consumed, unsportsmanlike predator lacking in civility and the social grraces. Why focus on a guy whose career tends to reinforce this image?

Unless a whole lot of revisionist history would be at the heart of a film about Earl, maybe we can do without. Such a movie would be very entertaining for the serious pool fan, but would not help our sport.
SJM, I always read your posts and have the utmost respect for your knowledge for the game and very well-reasoned opinions. I do not agree with you in this instance, though.

Earl Strickland is what he is, an American pool player with more titles under his belt than anyone I can think of in recent times AND times gone by. Anybody who knows one iota about pool has seen Earl Strickland on his best behavior and his worst, but to say he is "lacking in civility and the social graces" leads me to believe that you do not know Earl Strickland the person. Maybe a book or movie would enlighten you to the man off the table.

I do not want to turn this post into another Earl-bashing post, or another Danny-bashing one for that matter. I do find it curious that in another unrelated post, you state that folks should stand behind Charlie Williams to lead the way. Not wanting to start a Charlie-bashing post, I would just say there is another school of thought relating to interactions with him off the table. Charlie Williams as a player? He's a topnotch champion, and I respect his game, his ambition, and desire to elevate men's professional pool.

To stay on topic of the thread, I think it is wonderful that Danny Basavich is making headway in these unchartered pool waters, and I look forward to reading all about it.

JAM