View Single Post
Old
  (#14)
gulfportdoc
AzB Silver Member
gulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-07-2005, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece3
First of all, Congrats Danny you are a great ambassador for the game and I am sure you will do the pool industry proud.

Could there be ANY better choice than:
THE MIGHTY EARL "THE PEARL" STRICKLAND?????

Love him or hate him we ALL would go to see that. And not just to see the pool. We would want to know what makes Earl tick.

I agree with you, Fleece3. I really don't understand why Danny was chosen for a movie subject. His recent history and great success in pool has been very brief. In comparison to some the legends in our game, his story is not nearly as compelling. Earl's career would be far more interesting and entertaining. However I'm not privy to the circumstances behind the project. Perhaps the money people or the producer has some specific interest in Basavich.

As far as trying to present pool in general, or a pool champion in particular in a squeaky clean manner-- that has been attempted for the past 20 years, and it simply doesn't work. People today are more interested in the human aspect, even the seamy side of subjects. Certainly pool fits that bill. Even as tame as "The Hustler" seems today, it was pretty shocking when it came out. That was part of it's charm.

Pool has spent so much time trying to develop a clean, wholesome image, that poker has leap-frogged right over top of us. Now one can hardly turn on the TV without seeing a poker game! And they're actually GAMBLING!

A well written script about a genuine pool legend could be just what pool needs to broaden the public's interest.

Doc