Pool Wars

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I just received my copy today. Since Jay was out of town I ordered a copy off of Amazon from Freddy the Beard. First of all I have to say that Mr. Beard got this book shipped to me faster than any package I can ever remember ordering from anywhere. I ordered the book Friday night and got it Monday afternoon.....amazing.

So far it's a great read. I haven't sat down to read a book in years (thousands of newspapers and magazines, but no non-instructional books), but I have read half this book already. The only reason why I put it down was if I wanted to have something to read tomorrow I couldn't hog it all down today.

The last time I remember really sitting down to read a book was well over a decade ago. They were mainly history books as fiction never has been able to keep my attention outside of a few choice books (Underground Empire being one of them).

Great book Jay!! I could easily sit down and read the entire book in one sitting without having a thought of doing something else even if it was twice the length.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just received my copy today. Since Jay was out of town I ordered a copy off of Amazon from Freddy the Beard. First of all I have to say that Mr. Beard got this book shipped to me faster than any package I can ever remember ordering from anywhere. I ordered the book Friday night and got it Monday afternoon.....amazing.

So far it's a great read. I haven't sat down to read a book in years (thousands of newspapers and magazines, but no non-instructional books), but I have read half this book already. The only reason why I put it down was if I wanted to have something to read tomorrow I couldn't hog it all down today.

The last time I remember really sitting down to read a book was well over a decade ago. They were mainly history books as fiction never has been able to keep my attention outside of a few choice books (Underground Empire being one of them).

Great book Jay!! I could easily sit down and read the entire book in one sitting without having a thought of doing something else even if it was twice the length.

Thanks buddy. It is comments like this that make me want to write more books. I really wanted to do Playing With Fire with Bobby "Cotton" Leblanc but we haven't been able to work out the details as yet. His story is similar to mine only a little more sinister with a very motley cast of characters. Cotton was one of the favorite poolplayers of the mob guys in the 60's and 70's. He was also a top speed road man.

I have another book in progress that is VERY different. It is a compiliation of about a million tricks and tips that can help one be a better player (and a winning one at that). Kind of a lifetime of learning boiled into one book. 99% of it has never been in any instructional book before. It is not about proper stance, proper grip and how to line up a shot. In other words not a typical instructional book by any means. It has more to do with the mental side of the game, and lots of little things that many players (even some very good ones) don't know about. I've mentioned a few of these things on here over the years, like how to shoot at the cue ball when it is on the rail and never miscue. That little tip hasn't been in any book yet.

I wanted to call it The Zen Of Pool, but Max Eberle already has a book out with a similar title. If any of you have ever read Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book", that is more what this book would be like. The Little Red Book is the all time best selling golf book, similar to the Inner Game of Tennis. I actually started writing this book over ten years ago, but it was just too overwhelming to complete. I literally have a file full of notes. I had no way to organize it all. Now I have a better idea how to accomplish this. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in reading? I sure hope so because it may take me another year to complete it.

RascalDoc

RascalDoc
Silver Member
Jay

Thanks buddy. It is comments like this that make me want to write more books. I really wanted to do Playing With Fire with Bobby "Cotton" Leblanc but we haven't been able to work out the details as yet. His story is similar to mine only a little more sinister with a very motley cast of characters. Cotton was one of the favorite poolplayers of the mob guys in the 60's and 70's. He was also a top speed road man.

I have another book in progress that is VERY different. It is a compiliation of about a million tricks and tips that can help one be a better player (and a winning one at that). Kind of a lifetime of learning boiled into one book. 99% of it has never been in any instructional book before. It is not about proper stance, proper grip and how to line up a shot. In other words not a typical instructional book by any means. It has more to do with the mental side of the game, and lots of little things that many players (even some very good ones) don't know about. I've mentioned a few of these things on here over the years, like how to shoot at the cue ball when it is on the rail and never miscue. That little tip hasn't been in any book yet.

I wanted to call it The Zen Of Pool, but Max Eberle already has a book out with a similar title. If any of you have ever read Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book", that is more what this book would be like. The Little Red Book is the all time best selling golf book, similar to the Inner Game of Tennis. I actually started writing this book over ten years ago, but it was just too overwhelming to complete. I literally have a file full of notes. I had no way to organize it all. Now I have a better idea how to accomplish this. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in reading? I sure hope so because it may take me another year to complete it.

Count me in. When will it be done? :})

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member

I would definitely be interested in reading any of the books you have in the works.

XxMerlinxX

Pleased As Punch
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, what kind of tricks and tips are we talking about here? Like signing an "x" ontop of the pocket that your opponent will be shooting at? :D

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member

I could not agree more. I would try and not read it all at once so I could go back and read some more later. It is a great book, if you have not ordered it yet I think you should you will enjoy it.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay, IMHO, this book, if done well, will be the one that garners the greatest sales and will be the one you will be best known for. I would be glad to do proof reading for you on this one!

fatrascal

Registered
Ditto for me

You can count me in as very intrested. Pool Wars has been very entertaining. You lived on the edge at times. Glad to see that you survived the 'rougher edges'.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
I don't read much myself...just can't find the time to sit down and read...I found the only chance I was getting to read the book was OTJ....No...Not OJT for On the Job....It was OTJ...

Anyway...a few times I ended up in there so long my wife knocked on the door...."Are you OK???" ....."I'm fine"............"Oh............................OK"

EZMoney

Could this be your money?
Silver Member
Jay, this is a really good book. I look forward to reading your new one. It sounds like a angle only a good short stop could tell.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I"d love to have you make available a book like that. That's the kind of thing that a lesson from Little Joe produces... hidden treasures. :) I don't mean to hype Joe's stuff on your thread.. only to point out that it's the pro's secrets that come out when you get to spend time with a pro and that's what a book like this would be like... a book like you're anticipation would be like spending quality one-on-one time with a pro friend.

People will buy it like popcorn and ice cream, potato chips and french fries. :D

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That would be one hell of a book, "Cotton" is a good friend of mine and heard some of his road stories, some pool, and some other spots he was in over the years, man what a book that would be. with Cottons tails and Jays writing that would be amazing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, what kind of tricks and tips are we talking about here? Like signing an "x" ontop of the pocket that your opponent will be shooting at? :D

I've got one even better than that. :rolleyes:
Thanks for all the feedback gang. This book has been in the works a long time. I would like to be able to finish it by the end of year. Same with Bobby's book if I can pin him down for a couple of weeks to tell me the stories.

I'm on my way back home now. I had to leave my beautiful baby behind. :frown:

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer is: "Yes"

The type of book you describe sounds pretty damn good. Just to be safe though, maybe you should toss out a chapter of it here to get some feedback! :)