Differences in how the pockets are cut

I don't know much about how the pockets are designed, but the tables where I play have corner pockets where the ball pretty much passes the pocket point, but will rattle back and forth as far into the pocket as deep as the ball can go.

For example, if you are 2 diamonds away and nearly frozen to the end rail, and you shoot to a corner pocket with speed, it's nearly impossible to make the shot. Shooting down the side rail, if you shoot with more than a soft stroke you absolutely can't hit the side rail or it won't go in.

It makes it especially hard shooting down the rail when you need to shoot with speed.

I watch many accu-stats matches and see shots that would not even be close to going in on the tables I play on. I even hear the best players at my pool hall complaining about the pockets, but in the end I think it might make you a better player.

I was just wondering if anyone else plays with pockets like this.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all depends on the table manufacturer and the mechanic that puts it together. Some room owners will "gaff up" a table to trap road players with funky pockets! or to play one pocket on.

There are many threads on AZB about pocket size vs cut and how they take a ball. Basically you can have 2 tables with the same size pocket measured at the points and the tables will play TOTALLY different. The angle AFTER the points, the slate depth, and the undecut of the rails all play into the final pocket drop...

it can be no fun to play on some tables! actually a wedged up table is great for 1P, but can be awful for 9ball and 14.1.

G.

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See the 'Talk to a Mechanic' Forum for insight

See the mechanics forum for a huge amount of info on the subject.

Really matters a lot...

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
I know what you mean

The tables at the room I play in are just like you described. They make me change my game and mess with my confidence.
I blame it on the wrong pocket angles, ie: to big at the mouth and to narrow in the throat. It sucks !!!!!!!!

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
two guys to ask that i know are glen (real king cobra) and mark gregory (perfect poketz). they both post on here you can drop them a pm. there are many good table mechanics over in that section that can help with this also.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't know much about how the pockets are designed, but the tables where I play have corner pockets where the ball pretty much passes the pocket point, but will rattle back and forth as far into the pocket as deep as the ball can go.

For example, if you are 2 diamonds away and nearly frozen to the end rail, and you shoot to a corner pocket with speed, it's nearly impossible to make the shot. Shooting down the side rail, if you shoot with more than a soft stroke you absolutely can't hit the side rail or it won't go in.

It makes it especially hard shooting down the rail when you need to shoot with speed.

I watch many accu-stats matches and see shots that would not even be close to going in on the tables I play on. I even hear the best players at my pool hall complaining about the pockets, but in the end I think it might make you a better player.

I was just wondering if anyone else plays with pockets like this.

In order to answer you with some reasons...I need to know what kind of tables we're talking about here;)

Glen