Thread: gambling
View Single Post
Old
  (#37)
mr3cushion
Regestered User
mr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-11-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I'm not saying Steve never gambled, but it was not his M.O. He had a lot of pride and wouldn't let anyone woof at him. I never say him play for high stakes or heard of it either. I don't know about his match with Shannon, but knowing Shannon, he might have tried to stir Steve up. And Steve might have gone for it. In a sitiuation like that, I would have bet on Steve. He had a lot of pride, and was a fierce competitor.
Jay; I'll relay this story to you since you probably know more about me and my reputation gambling than anyone else involved in this thread.

I don't exactly remember the year, but, Steve had just opened his first room in NJ, Metuchen, I think. I was on the road on the East coast with, New York "Pancho" and Jimmy Fusco, between the 3 of us we had all the, "pool room" games covered.

Myself being the 3 cushion player, and Pancho being one of the BEST instigators in the world, sort of embarrassed Steve into playing me some 3 Cushion. He had a brand NEW GC billiard table, along with all the rest of his NEW equipment in the room!

It was about 10 pm when we started to play, 25 points for $500.00. Two games later, Steve pulled up, He did have someone there that went in with him, don't know who.

It was about 45 minutes from closing, and Jimmy and Steve were trying to make a game, actually, the REAL reason we were there. Me playing the 3 cush was just insurance money! Jimmy and Steve decided on Steve getting 9-8, Steve said, " The Brunswick people gave him a NEW GC 2 for his home, they would play there after the room closed. We all went to Steve's home, including the guy who bet on him in the 3c match.

They started out for $300.00 a game, after a 1 hour or so, Jimmy was up a few games. Steve suggested since it was getting late, they play a set, race to 4 for a Gnote, if Jimmy would play him, 10-8, 9-8, the game was on! I have to mention this, and with NO disrespect to Steve. After the first couple of games, Steve couldn't pocket a ball 4 feet away! Jimmy had broke him down a little, I don't think Steve was used to bunting the cue ball, he was used to letting out his stroke! They only played the one set, the side better had enough, and Steve was a little tired.

So we WON, almost $3,000.00 for the night, and on to the next score.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited by mr3cushion; 10-16-2013 at 04:46 PM.