International 9-Ball Open changes. WHY?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As a weaker player compared to the players that would play in this event, alternate break is the way to go. Get many more chances and tries at the table, and for only $500 entry. Only the Elite players are going to do $1000 entry winner breaks.

On the other hand, the Matchroom US in Open in April, with winner breaks and $1,000 entry fee, had filled its field of 256 a couple of months in advance of the event and, consequently, had to turn down countless people who sought entry into the field. Both the US Open 9-ball and the International are elite events that are WPA sanctioned and offer WPA Ranking points. Each event has very high prize money.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
On the other hand, the Matchroom US in Open in April, with winner breaks and $1,000 entry fee, had filled its field of 256 a couple of months in advance of the event and, consequently, had to turn down countless people who sought entry into the field. Both the US Open 9-ball and the International are elite events that are WPA sanctioned and offer WPA Ranking points. Each event has very high prize money.

Only added was $50,000....the rest of the prize money, $256,000 came from the players.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's the tradeoff, but Maximilan Lechner's eight pack vs SVB this year may well be remembered as much as Shaw having won the title. The loss of that prospect is, at least a little, discouraging.

That match at the International Open should certainly be remembered for Lechner taking a 9-0 lead, Van Boening then winning 10 games in a row to get on the hill first, and Lechner finally winning the match by slopping in the 9-ball on the break at hill/hill.

But Lechner did not have an 8-pack. He had a B&R in Game 1. He broke wet in Game 2 and then missed the 1-ball. Van Boening also missed the 1-ball, and Lechner ran out for 2-0. He then ran a 6-pack, taking the score to 8-0. He won Game 9 in his 3rd inning, after both players had missed a shot. So it was 7 B&R's in those first 9 games, but the package was 6, not 8.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw Roger Griffis at the Worlds in Chicago, down 11-1 going to 13 winner breaks. He tied it up and lost 13-12.

Watched Earl brake and run a 11 pack was TOOOOOOOOO Exciting.

Seeing Niels at Mandalay Bay win the lag against Orcullo....then a 6 pack outta the Gate, and Orcullo Smiling was unique. DO won the next game, then Niels put a two pack on em, and DO started laughing out loud :).

And one of the MOST exciting was Appleton, when he was up 9-1? or 9-0 and fatigue was setting in, he rattled/made the 8th and 9th game 9 BALL, and ran outta gas....his opponent came back and tied it up. Appleton had a jump shot, 2 ball in the side, made it and ran a DIFFICULT out to win the Worlds

Excitement like this is not created, in an alternate break format.

Personally, the true animal in rotation pool too ME, is the US Open 9 ball format.

Wow, 4 exciting moments, that really does suck compared to the amount of tournaments played and matches played every year at world class events. Every tournament that has alternate break has countless of close thrilling hill hill matches.

Pat did the right thing, got feedback, changed it for a reason, its for the better.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wow, 4 exciting moments, that really does suck compared to the amount of tournaments played and matches played every year at world class events. Every tournament that has alternate break has countless of close thrilling hill hill matches.

Pat did the right thing, got feedback, changed it for a reason, its for the better.

I for one won't watch any pool matches that resemble alternating breaks like in tennis or ping pong.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one won't watch any pool matches that resemble alternating breaks like in tennis or ping pong.

I’ll watch winners or alternate, because I love watching the game and skill it takes to play at a high level.Obviously the majority like it or Pat wouldn’t be changing it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I’ll watch winners or alternate, because I love watching the game and skill it takes to play at a high level.Obviously the majority like it or Pat wouldn’t be changing it.

To see the highest level of play, you need.to take the break restrictions out of the game, extend the races, and get rid of the second chance option of double elimination, then everything is on the line in EVERY match played, there is NO coming back once a player has lost, and put a match time limit on every match, then TIME means something and has value as well.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Dead money players don't like not having a chance to get to the table at least every other game, makes them feel like they have a chance.....and since MOST of the prize money is payed out comes from the entry fees, and NOT from sponsors.....the dead money is desperately needed, or there is NO event. I'm suprised handicapping hasn't made it's way in to tournaments yet based on Fargo ratings.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And one of the MOST exciting was Appleton, when he was up 9-1? or 9-0 and fatigue was setting in, he rattled/made the 8th and 9th game 9 BALL, and ran outta gas....his opponent came back and tied it up. Appleton had a jump shot, 2 ball in the side, made it and ran a DIFFICULT out to win the Worlds

Excitement like this is not created, in an alternate break format.

Yes that was one of most exciting finals of recent times. But that 2012 World 9 ball final between Appleton and Li was alternate break NOT winners break. :thumbup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQxT6GqVSE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_WPA_World_Nine-ball_Championship#Tournament_Summary

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dead money players don't like not having a chance to get to the table at least every other game, makes them feel like they have a chance.....and since MOST of the prize money is payed out comes from the entry fees, and NOT from sponsors.....the dead money is desperately needed, or there is NO event. I'm suprised handicapping hasn't made it's way in to tournaments yet based on Fargo ratings.

Why is the World 9ball and China open alternate break then? World class event and hardly any “dead” money in there. I believe world 9ball is invite only as well, you can’t just buy your way in. You probably don’t know because you don’t watch alternate break tournaments, like you said.

The people that run these events must have no idea what they’re doing ��

Last edited:

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That match at the International Open should certainly be remembered for Lechner taking a 9-0 lead, Van Boening then winning 10 games in a row to get on the hill first, and Lechner finally winning the match by slopping in the 9-ball on the break at hill/hill.

But Lechner did not have an 8-pack. He had a B&R in Game 1. He broke wet in Game 2 and then missed the 1-ball. Van Boening also missed the 1-ball, and Lechner ran out for 2-0. He then ran a 6-pack, taking the score to 8-0. He won Game 9 in his 3rd inning, after both players had missed a shot. So it was 7 B&R's in those first 9 games, but the package was 6, not 8.

Thanks for that, it was a match that occurred before I arrived in Virginia, so I'm just repeating what I heard, which was apparently in error. Still, 7 B&R in 8 racks isn't half bad.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Thanks for that, it was a match that occurred before I arrived in Virginia, so I'm just repeating what I heard, which was apparently in error. Still, 7 B&R in 8 racks isn't half bad.

It's the constant small packages that win most matches, in winner break formats.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's the constant small packages that win most matches, in winner break formats.

Agree, that's often the case. But that 6-pack by Lechner against SVB isn't in the "small" category. Big packages in streamed matches are infrequent.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Agree, that's often the case. But that 6-pack by Lechner against SVB isn't in the "small" category. Big packages in streamed matches are infrequent.

I'm well aware. I played at Pheasant Run in 91. I was up 3 tah 2, then did a 3 pack/safe then a Small ;) 5 pack and out. Bobby Williams can back that up.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winner breaks.

If you are going to play offense on your first shot it has to be a bank.

This keeps the possibility of packages, but makes it harder, and still allows for comebacks because the winner of the previous rack maintains control.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Check out SVB vs Alex....2 6pks, 1 7pk SVB 3 5pks Alex, race to 100 second match, TAR with Fatboy 4 1/8" pockets. Never been done again like that.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Why is the World 9ball and China open alternate break then? World class event and hardly any “dead” money in there. I believe world 9ball is invite only as well, you can’t just buy your way in. You probably don’t know because you don’t watch alternate break tournaments, like you said.

The people that run these events must have no idea what they’re doing ��
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different outcome. If alternating breaks worked for making pool a better sport to watch, then there would be MORE viewers, lots more viewers, and advertisers.....but, without match time limits, and a 30 minute break between rounds so the advertising can be done....oh, never mind, no one in pool has this figured out yet, because they keep getting in their own way!!!!