stun follow vs. top follow

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
especially in tight situations, balls are close, etc.
moderns pros seem to prefer the stun follow
if so, what's the practical reasoning for this?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean a stop shot with a short after run or just following from the equator or lower?

Ideally any decisions thereof would be based on comfort/consistency/accuracy/consistency in addition to consistency.

For me these choices depend on shot dimensions ie. lay of the balls; how and where the cue ball needs to go and more often than not, avoiding changeups. FI if your pattern is mostly popping ducks in, you may opt for that stun follow because the cue speed is in the same zone as the rest of the shots. Beyond that is the nagging question, "is this gonna roll off?" Other factors allowing, popping it will cure that.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean a stop shot with a short after run or just following from the equator or lower?

Ideally any decisions thereof would be based on comfort/consistency/accuracy/consistency in addition to consistency.

For me these choices depend on shot dimensions ie. lay of the balls; how and where the cue ball needs to go and more often than not, avoiding changeups. FI if your pattern is mostly popping ducks in, you may opt for that stun follow because the cue speed is in the same zone as the rest of the shots. Beyond that is the nagging question, "is this gonna roll off?" Other factors allowing, popping it will cure that.

hey straight
great initial question
sliding the cb with a lazy draw is a neat shot
stop shot after run in this case tho, I think
I believe some call it a "stun run though" shot?
of course every player/layout is unique
but I see a lot of pros use the shot
I figured the "roll off" thing might be a factor
tho pro gear appears to usually be consistent
maintaining cue speed makes sense too
help a player keep a rhythm going
those things together could count for a lot
thanks for the reply

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

One pocket players use it because its controlling whitey. You can blast a ball
you're shooting into towards another location and then roll the cue ball up behind something for defense. Deadly skill.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket players use it because its controlling whitey. You can blast a ball
you're shooting into towards another location and then roll the cue ball up behind something for defense. Deadly skill.

hey robin
that's a great point..
ability to control balls in a safety situation is sure worth considering
and an advantage I can visualize for the stun-run
thanks for the shout!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
it lets you stroke the ball as opposed to slow rolling

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Stun rollthrough is also a way we control the carom angle, often without thinking of it as stun rollthrough.

It’s also a way to “enhance” sidespin.

It’s not just “stun” vs. “top” - stun rollthrough can be achieved by hitting any distance below center or even a little above center, depending on OB distance

pj
chgo

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it lets you stroke the ball as opposed to slow rolling

dig that..thanks larry

Stun rollthrough is also a way we control the carom angle, often without thinking of it as stun rollthrough.

It’s also a way to “enhance” sidespin.

It’s not just “stun” vs. “top” - stun rollthrough can be achieved by hitting any distance below center or even a little above center, depending on OB distance

pj
chgo

hey pat, thanks
hitting above/below re: distance is a great point
can you explain the enhancing sidespin part?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey straight
great initial question
sliding the cb with a lazy draw is a neat shot
stop shot after run in this case tho, I think
I believe some call it a "stun run though" shot?
of course every player/layout is unique
but I see a lot of pros use the shot
I figured the "roll off" thing might be a factor
tho pro gear appears to usually be consistent
maintaining cue speed makes sense too
help a player keep a rhythm going
those things together could count for a lot
thanks for the reply

Ok. I guess I semi read your post. Yeah. In close I hit punchier and higher for draw but to follow I do tend to roll the ball. Not a player so my concerns aren't so much strategic as what I can do. I will add that, in close, is fertile ground for testing you ball control.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
can you explain the enhancing sidespin part?
You can get "extra" side spin action by hitting a stun rollthrough with side spin - the forward speed wears off, but the side spin doesn't, resulting in a greater spin-to-speed ratio (and therefore greater spin action) than you can get otherwise.

pj
chgo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would assume the main reason is to eliminate any possible chance of rolloff (cue ball and/or object ball) that could potentially cause a miss on a slow paced hit.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I would assume the main reason is to eliminate any possible chance of rolloff...
I'm also a little better at controlling short follow distances with stun rollthrough. With a slow roll I might have to think about getting enough OB speed.

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can get "extra" side spin action by hitting a stun rollthrough with side spin - the forward speed wears off, but the side spin doesn't, resulting in a greater spin-to-speed ratio (and therefore greater spin action) than you can get otherwise.

pj
chgo

thanks pat
I can visualize that..
I miss a real pool table tho.

thanks all for the replies~