2015 Louie Roberts Award Winner Announcement

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
In what has been a transition year of sorts with the additional activities at the Derby City Classic, one of the mainstays has now been separated from the event itself: the Louie Roberts Award.

That being said, I'm happy to announce that after all the votes had been collected and tallied, Danny Smith is your 2015 Louie Roberts Award Winner!

A deserving candidate who has been in the running every year, Danny Smith was in non-stop action from the first day until the last. Of note, Smith was engaged with former Louie Roberts Award recipient Chris Gentile in a marathon one-pocket match-up that spanned several days. He also had a memorable set against former DCC One Pocket Champion John Schmidt.

Other deserving candidates this year were Billy Thorpe, Dennis Orcullo, and John "Flakes" Hennigan. For a second year in a row, Thorpe received the second most votes. Dennis made a return to the action activities and made a run for the Louie Roberts award for the first time since 2007. Flakes along with fellow champion-pool-player-turned-poker-pro Nick Schulman were making big waves all week.

Additionally, players like Tommy Midena and Carl Wanyek, known more for staking than playing in the action rooms, also deserve mention as this was the first year that a significant number of votes went to those that make the action as opposed to playing.

So again, congratulations goes to Danny Smith, this year's Louie Roberts Award winner. The Committee will be reaching out to Mr. Smith to confirm.

Regards,

The Louie Roberts Award Committee

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched a good amount of him in the grease on dcc stream - I would say the committee made a great choice. :cool:

congrats to Danny Smith. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good choice. I figured it would come down to Danny Smith and John "Corn Flakes" Hennigan.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a good amount of him in the grease on dcc stream - I would say the committee made a great choice. :cool:

congrats to Danny Smith. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

Got his money back from the 20+ hour 9/8 1P Chris G. match for sure. what a battle... one of many high dollar match ups for Danny the whole week/month. Danny will definitely 'ship it in' even on marginal spread bets. Always looking for action and not just 'locks'. Good choice for this award.

Randy

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your voting needs to be more transparent. If you are going to entrust a select few to vote then their vote needs to be made public. I wasn't there this year so I can't speak on it but there have been questionable choices in years past. If a man gets a vote it should be posted for the world to see.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your voting needs to be more transparent. If you are going to entrust a select few to vote then their vote needs to be made public. I wasn't there this year so I can't speak on it but there have been questionable choices in years past. If a man gets a vote it should be posted for the world to see.

I'm going to respect the privacy of the voters. If those who voted and were eligible want to speak up on the forum, they can at their doing. I know some already have.

Brian, I told you privately that ballot stuffing doesn't work. The voters can only be forum members that attended the Derby City Classic that year. I realize everyone can't win and won't be happy, but one thing is clear: the voting process is fine. But it might even get less transparent next year if the Facebook social media evolution keeps coming in question.

Thanks,

Freddie Agnir

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only point that I'm trying to make is if you are entrusted with a vote you need to do your due diligence before casting that Vote. some people who bet really high for example 30 40 or 50 thousand a set don't want to do it in the main action room. some of those guys like to find a private room where not everyone can watch.so my point is if you are entrusted with a vote please find out for sure who's doing the most gambling.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
the only point that I'm trying to make is if you are entrusted with a vote you need to do your due diligence before casting that Vote. some people who bet really high for example 30 40 or 50 thousand a set don't want to do it in the main action room. some of those guys like to find a private room where not everyone can watch.so my point is if you are entrusted with a vote please find out for sure who's doing the most gambling.
It's up to the voter to decide what entertainment means to them in the action rooms. Millionaire Carl was doing 10 large a GAME. Nobody voted for him. I would have.

plane_o

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's who I would have picked. Was in action the whole time I was there..

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
...some people who bet really high for example 30 40 or 50 thousand a set don't want to do it in the main action room. some of those guys like to find a private room where not everyone can watch...

And one might reasonably assume that this person has little interest in or use for the L.R. Award.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great choice Danny Smith 2015 Louie Roberts Award Winner

1471987_10202823040967100_8511156412132742201_n.jpg

Capture 1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny deserves it as much as anyone, as always, you are never going to please everyone.
Good choice for the award.

Tom

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great choice! Danny has had quite a year leading up to this. I'm glad he is getting the recognition he deserves!

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I'm just happy to hear Danny is making games he can win...I've definitely seen him take some major losses. Sounds like karma is looping around and it's just his time right now.

playonepocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't forget the $100-a-rail bank pool action he was in with Shannon Murphy... that was fun sweating.

I was there all 10 days, and also agree with Danny's selection. Congrats, and definitely deserving.

playonepocket