Chinese Pool Tables?

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I bought 23 Brunswick Super Gold Crown IV when I opened my poolhall. It costed a lot, and I would never do it again. (I also noticed that it said "Made in Brazil" on parts on it too;))

Chinese table called Yalin looks almost the same, and plays perfect. I play on one of those regulary. Cost 1/5 of the price...

vin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^remember the wpc qualifier? some of the table has star billiards written on them. they are chinese imitations too :)

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueandcushion said:
I think you get what you pay for. The average American wants a CHEAP table that PLAYS PERFECT. There is NO such thing. So when you make them choose, most of the time they go cheap/Chinese. Most bangers (who drive the market for home tables) cannot tell the difference in cheaper rubber or hollow sounding body. They would rather save $1000. They really don't care. :mad: China is simply filling a need in a capitalisitic market. You cannot be mad at China for fulfilling our desires. They have less regulation in terms of stains, chemicals, and work conditions or legal liability. This saves them money and they use it against us. We are so concerned as a nation for babysitting ourselves through government regulation; that we forget that every regulation sends another 1000 jobs overseas.

Someone gets sick....employer gets sued....govt regulation gets passed....safe work environment that doubles price of goods....job goes overseas....same product gets imported for half the price.

About 10 years ago, we sold 90% American and 10% Chinese tables. Now we are 60% Chinese and 40% American. Every year it goes down (American products) To my knowledge Brunswick does not have a single part of their pool tables made in America anymore. Mexico, Brazill and China makes Brunswick tables.

We are setting our own destiny with this behavior. Making China the next sole Superpower while we wallow in our consumer debt paying off tons of poorly made junk in our house that we never needed in the first place.

Done with my rant for now....:confused:
What was this thread about? :rolleyes:

Or maybe someone of us don't have unlimted funds. Maybe some of us have children were puting through catholic...mortgages and all the other bs and honestly don't have the 4 grand to lay down on a table.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
trob said:
Or maybe someone of us don't have unlimted funds. Maybe some of us have children were puting through catholic...mortgages and all the other bs and honestly don't have the 4 grand to lay down on a table.
That's why I bought a used Gold Crown II.
$975 used plus about a grand in refurbishing/install.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
That's why I bought a used Gold Crown II.
$975 used plus about a grand in refurbishing/install.

You my friend got a one hell of a sweet deal. I couldn't get a used a gandy around here for that price.

and btw..what the heck happened to Gandy? When I was first playing more then 20 years ago every pool hall and club around here at gandy's.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
viva said:
Johnnyt I think the name you are looking for is 'OLIO.' These tables are fairly common here in Adelaide, Australia. The ones over here play great, especially the ones covered in simonis.

Theres a place out here with over 50 American style tables and they have about 3 different types of chinese tables and about 5 or so brunswicks that they use for tourneys. the chinese tables play reasonably well but the rails all react strangely whereas the brunswicks play more consistently.

I would have to say that I prefer the OLIO tables more than the brunswicks though because they have a solid feel to them. theres another room out here that has about 5 genuine Brunswick Metros, but I still prefer the OLIO's over them, they just play better!

Yes thats them....thank you. I don't know if their are more than one model commercial OLIO...but the ones I'm talking about did not play solid. It wasn't just me that sad it either...I was in there at least 8 hours a day for over a year and never heard anyone that liked them...including the owner. Johnnyt