Any taller player here? need stance help

zach12345

Registered
im 6'4 and whenever i try to shoot(especially when the cueball is close to the rail and you have to use the flat hand on the rail shot) i DO NOT feel comfortable. it feels as if my body wants to twist which is throwing my stroke off. i dont know how to make adjustments honestly and was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they fixed it? thank you

nrhoades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im 6'4 and whenever i try to shoot(especially when the cueball is close to the rail and you have to use the flat hand on the rail shot) i DO NOT feel comfortable. it feels as if my body wants to twist which is throwing my stroke off. i dont know how to make adjustments honestly and was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they fixed it? thank you

I'm 6'2. Firstly, it helps to know that you're forced to use top when the cue ball is against the rail (don't tempt it!!). Knowing this helps. I also rest the cue on the rail, not my hand. I used to see some players do this, I never liked it.

I don't think its a height thing. I think you're issue is that your tip destination is the cue ball. It should be the object ball. I remember I had this issue. Think of a karate master breaking boards; he focuses on touching his hand to the ground through the boards. He doesn't think about hitting the boards themselves. I think when you do your mind engages its control loop and tries to bring the end effector (your tip) to rest at its destination. I'm pretty sure that when people say "accelerate through the cue ball", this is what they mean. If you always try to touch the tip of your cue to the object ball and pretend the cue ball isn't there, even if its way down table, I think that any jerkyness in your body will soon be relieved, especially against the rail.

I also like to stand more square to the table, maybe less than 45 degree, probably similar to a boxer snooker stance sometimes. I do not like to go narrow with my feet in line, too wobbly. We are tall so the table is lower, close to our waist. You need a solid lateral stance when bending over as far as we do.

Good luck!

Last edited:

zach12345

Registered
thanks alot. yeah i meant resting it on the rail. my body just feels twisted when i do that. maybe i should try lining up with the object ball like you said

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I'm almost 6'3"...When shooting with the cueball close/frozen to the rail, I usually have to play off an open bridge, with my fingers on the rail and my palm further back, suspended off the edge. I don't have any different issues with stance in this scenario than normal shots...even as tall as I am, if I have to shoot down on the cue ball to get draw, I raise the heel of my rear foot off the floor to angle my hips and shoulders on the elevated line, just like most shorter folks.

zach12345

Registered
alright thank you. its not the bridge im having trouble with i was just saying that my body feels the most twisted when i have these types of shots. i think nrhoades might be right. i do line up on the cueball first and not my object ball. i bet this is whats throwing my stroke off.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

have you tried using the back of table bridge? where you anchor your bridge hand on the edge of the table so you can stroke through the cueball? you may also benefit from the rail bridge where you let your shaft run on the table along the side of your thumb if the cueball is an inch or two off the rail.

Obviously if you could post a video it would be easier to provide suggestions.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
height

I am 6'5" and I know how you feel. I think part of it is you feel so disconnected from the table. Also, we just have a bigger set up and typically the tables in most league halls are barely far enough apart to pull that shot off. I wind up touching the table behind me which makes me hunch over and stand too tall over the shot. I also think that one thing we take for granted is that our waists are well above the table height so we are much more comfortable than shorter players. Shooting middle table lets you rest with the bend right at the table so the off the rail shots make you realize how your setup is entirely on you and not on the table. Just my observations.

zach12345

Registered
just for clarification the bridge isnt the problem for me. i use the bridge like u describe dr9ball. my problem is stance. i was just saying that when i shoot shots where you let the cue rest on the rail and let the cue glide between your middle and pointer finger is where my body feels the most twisted. i cant get comfortable at the table. maybe my problem is not lining up on the object ball and lining up on the cueball. because i do move my bridge hand while im down on the shot in order to line up better for the shot. but i just feel like my body wants to twist to the right all the time.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am almost 6'3". I have a fairly athletic stance at the table. I get my head *very* low (chin right beside cue...I'm left eye dominant so the cue goes just to the left of my chin). I used to keep my back leg almost locked and bend my front knee. Now I bend both knees when necessary as it gets my body lower and allows me to more easily keep my face up so I can see long shots better (can see the cue ball and object ball together on more shots). I make a point of keeping my back straight, rather than hunched.

I try to duplicate this stance when the ball is on or near the rail. First of all, make sure you are still standing the right distance away from the ball. Don't get too close. Although I usually bridge the cue on the rail, I extend my hand away from the rail. Basically, I make an open hand bridge, but only rest the tips of my fingers on the rail. The benefit of this approach is that it allows me to maintain my normal (long) bridge length, even when the ball is very near the rail. I have a system for forming my stance. It has become subconscious over the years. I would be happy to spell it out for you. I guess what I'm getting at is that my stance on the rail is very close to my regular stance (unless I have to jack up). So it seems if you feel "twisted" on the rail, you may be feeling a bit twisted normally. Just remember, the principle elements of a stance are these:

1) *center of vision* is on the line of the shot.

2) Hand holding the cue is directly behind your center of vision, on the line of the shot.

3) Stroking arm elbow is directly behind center of vision, on the line of the shot.

4) Stance is stable and repeatable.

If you are repeatably able to get your eyes (center of vision), your hand, and your elbow all lined up on the shot line, the rest is pretty much window dressing. You might need to borrow a friend to watch and make sure these elements are lining up, particularly when you are on the rail.

Hope it helps,

KMRUNOUT