Cue Tip Replacement At Home

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
1) Razor blade to cut old tip off.

2) Super glue. After applying super glue, I basically stick shaft under a chair seat perfectly vertical that gives just enough pressure while glue dries. I always leave shaft under chair drying until next day. I've never had a tip pop off.

3) Masking tape. To protect shaft and ferrule.

4) Utility knife with razor-type blade for trimming off excess or overlapped parts of new tip.

5) 180 grit sandpaper. (Although, I should probably get some finer stuff too). I cut it into strips about 2 inches wide. To sand tip, I hold each end and pull each end up and down to create sanding motion just over tip area. (I use 80 grit to sand end of shaft and back of tip before putting new tip on).

6) Big, heavy bench-top vise to hold shaft when I sand tip. I have softer magnetic attachments with rubber to put over vise grips and I wrap the shaft with paper towel also, so as to not damage the shaft.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting clip showing Marco Fu losing his tip in a big match. Shows why it is important to either replace your own or have absolute trust in the person who replaces your tip.
https://youtu.be/o06w9KzW4_4
I once received a coupon for a Kamui tip for watching a ppv event. It was a requirement that I have it installed by their qualified dealer. So there was no way I would give one of my good shafts with ivory ferrule to an unknown installer. I gave them a disposable shaft. After the instal I hit a few balls and the tip popped off.

Are the Kamui tips hard to install? These are the tips I am hoping to put on some of my expensive shafts.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Are the Kamui tips hard to install? These are the tips I am hoping to put on some of my expensive shafts.
No, my take was it was just a Kamuii requirement to make sure their tips were not going to be knocked because the instal was done wrong. Go Figure!!!!:shrug:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I go to my local cue maker, pay $25.00 for name brand layered tips with labor included while I wait for new tips. While he is doing the work he allows me to peruse the shop and see what he is working on. I would be happy to pay even more, I prefer that he stays in business because it is handy for me. I also by pool ball sets, Simonis cloth, cue balls, cue tools, and etc. from him, I know I could save money buying the stuff over the interweb but if everyone keeps doing that brick and mortar retail stores will soon become a thing of the past.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go to my local cue maker, pay $25.00 for name brand layered tips with labor included while I wait for new tips. While he is doing the work he allows me to peruse the shop and see what he is working on. I would be happy to pay even more, I prefer that he stays in business because it is handy for me. I also by pool ball sets, Simonis cloth, cue balls, cue tools, and etc. from him, I know I could save money buying the stuff over the interweb but if everyone keeps doing that brick and mortar retail stores will soon become a thing of the past.

We have nothing remotely close to that around our area. Closest possible is a 4 hour drive through trechorous mountain passes.

IF there was something remotely close to this I would for sure support it. I Have no issues with that at all. In fact I would prefer somoene do this so I don't have to spend $1,500 on equipment to do two tips a year.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ordered a Mid America Cue Lathe. They were great and helped me get what I want.

Figured I should do it right instead of worrying about saving money.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just ordered a Mid America Cue Lathe. They were great and helped me get what I want.

Great choice.. Todd's products & customer service is excellent. Which lathe did you order.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The basic 4’ bed with some extras. The guy I was dealing with was great. Took his recommendation.

I have been re-tipping my REVO shafts. Would not attempt without a lathe. You'll also be able to clean shafts and get great results.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Nice!!!!! :bow-down:

Wanna drop your digits (your address, I always wanted the chance to say that) on me, I will start sending you 1 shaft at a time for maintenance. :thumbup::thumbup:

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The basic 4’ bed with some extras. The guy I was dealing with was great. Took his recommendation.

Yes, Todd is excellent to deal with and will help you with any questions you may have regarding your lathe. That is a great purchase for yourself. If you want to venture out and do tip installs for the locals, you can also make a little extra cash. Good luck with your lathe.