My experience with 7 carbon shafts so far

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revos are NOT made in China. I asked Predator directly and was told ALL Revos are made in their plant outside Boston. The butts ARE made in China at same factory that makes Lucasi, Universal and Players.

You are correct.

A person would HAVE TO HAVE a "motive" to make a claim like that, knowing that all it takes is a phone call to find out.

Like you, I called and ask but, I ask someone that I know personally. I've known him for over 3 decades and he had absolutely no reason to lie and wouldn't even if he knew it would benefit him. He's a very honest person, so much so....lol.....he couldn't make a living on a car lot due to being honest....lol.

He told me they are made in the same plant you spoke of.

If I owned a "huge collection" of "anything".....lol.....the last thing I would want is to see it lose value.

Its extremely hard for anyone to say they don't care about the market etc...etc... when they have a LOT invested and CLEARLY care about it. When someone does that, to me ....it makes them "SEEM" dishonest. That doesn't mean they are but, it sure does make them "SEEM" that way.

Then again, typed words online by a stranger are very hard to "read".....pun intended.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct.

A person would HAVE TO HAVE a "motive" to make a claim like that, knowing that all it takes is a phone call to find out.

Like you, I called and ask but, I ask someone that I know personally. I've known him for over 3 decades and he had absolutely no reason to lie and wouldn't even if he knew it would benefit him. He's a very honest person, so much so....lol.....he couldn't make a living on a car lot due to being honest....lol.

If I owned a "huge collection" of "anything".....lol.....the last thing I would want is to see it lose value.

Its extremely hard for anyone to say they don't care about the market etc...etc... when they have a LOT invested and CLEARLY care about it. When someone does that, to me ....it makes them "SEEM" dishonest. That doesn't mean they are but, it sure does make them "SEEM" that way.

Then again, typed words online by a stranger are very hard to "read".....pun intended.
I was told by Predator directly. Have no clue who this friend is or where he got his info. I for one do not believe the person from Predator was lying to me.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
You are correct.

Can you find out from this friend if they ever plan to release 11.8mm please?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told by Predator directly. Have no clue who this friend is or where he got his info. I for one do not believe the person from Predator was lying to me.

The person you spoke to at predator told you the same thing I was told. They are still made in the same plant outside Boston.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you find out from this friend if they ever plan to release 11.8mm please?

They did a 11.8 prototype a while ago. He said it would definitely happen but.......WHEN, that's the one thing he couldn't answer.

From what I was told, they are trying to reinvent the revo to have a ferrule-like "look" without actually having a ferrule. After that, I believe the different diameters, lengths and more pins will be in revos future.

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just sold my 12.4 because of the ting and taper. I test hit with a radial Black shaft over the weekend and fell in love it, taper and no sound. But if the uniloc has a ting to it I’m not sure I’d want it anymore. Was it a prototype still? But I have been debating between the Black or Cynergy.

The Cynergy is the most natural CF shaft I have used/owned to date. You can literally pick it up and use it and your game will not suffer nor will you find yourself cringing about anything ( noise, feel, tip, joint, finish ). It's close to perfect except that the deflection is not as low as the Revo but it's close enough.

gregnice37

Silver Member
The Cynergy is the most natural CF shaft I have used/owned to date. You can literally pick it up and use it and your game will not suffer nor will you find yourself cringing about anything ( noise, feel, tip, joint, finish ). It's close to perfect except that the deflection is not as low as the Revo but it's close enough.

See everyone definitely varies. I've tried about 7 myself and I absolutely hated the Cynergy. Even tried a tip change. It's the only CF shaft I've sold so far.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See everyone definitely varies. I've tried about 7 myself and I absolutely hated the Cynergy. Even tried a tip change. It's the only CF shaft I've sold so far.

I'm with you.

People that like the 15k shaft would be better served to buy a LD wood shaft.

Less money, more or less same sound and feel.......only thing they would give up is:

It's not CF.

gregnice37

Silver Member
Have you tried the Becue, if you did what are your thoughts and comparison with Revo and other CF shafts?

I have a becue 12.0mm prime m and it plays good. Shaft has a more plasticy feel to it compared to other CF shatfs and definitely has more deflection than the Revo.

I think eventually I'm going to have to get the same exact tip put on all my CF shafts to make true comparisons.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently tried a BeCue and i hated the finish. Way too sticky/tacky feeling. You have to use a glove with these. Finish on a Revo is unbelievably slick.

gregnice37

Silver Member
I recently tried a BeCue and i hated the finish. Way too sticky/tacky feeling. You have to use a glove with these. Finish on a Revo is unbelievably slick.

Which Becue? The old white paint version without a doubt agree 💯 with you, however the new prime M versions are just as slick as any other CF shafts out there.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a becue 12.0mm prime m and it plays good. Shaft has a more plasticy feel to it compared to other CF shatfs and definitely has more deflection than the Revo.

I think eventually I'm going to have to get the same exact tip put on all my CF shafts to make true comparisons.

Been there, done that. It will not change the outcome as far as deflection.

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you.

People that like the 15k shaft would be better served to buy a LD wood shaft.

Less money, more or less same sound and feel.......only thing they would give up is:

It's not CF.

Same can be said for all CF's IMHO until someone comes out with a true game changer which beats the Z2 (or Z3) for deflection which I consider the benchmark(s).

Alot of people criticise the Z's for having a dead hit so whoever can make a shaft that has a good hit, sounds good, has very low deflection and plays well will come out on top.

In my circles, a bunch of us are buying to experiment because we like the latest toys but no-one really thinks anything in the market right now is changing the game. It's certainly not like the switch from wooden to graphite tennis racquets which we saw in the 80's. Now that was a game changer.

What we are seeing now is incremental at best but very welcome all the same.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got my Jacoby Black 30" today :D I haven't had the chance to really test the deflection but the feel and sound is amazing! Just on that alone it's better then my OB+2 and the Jacoby Ultra Pro.
However, the packaging isn't very professional and no instructions for cleaning etc. I'm not bothered though. I didn't come with joint protectors either. Is that standard for every CF shaft to come with them or not?

gregnice37

Silver Member
I just got my Jacoby Black 30" today :D I haven't had the chance to really test the deflection but the feel and sound is amazing! Just on that alone it's better then my OB+2 and the Jacoby Ultra Pro.
However, the packaging isn't very professional and no instructions for cleaning etc. I'm not bothered though. I didn't come with joint protectors either. Is that standard for every CF shaft to come with them or not?

Mine came with a joint protector and no instructions. Came in that skinny clear tube. Only reason I can think of that you didn't get join protector is that the tube is only one size and with 30" shaft it doesn't fit with jp?

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine came with a joint protector and no instructions. Came in that skinny clear tube. Only reason I can think of that you didn't get join protector is that the tube is only one size and with 30" shaft it doesn't fit with jp?
It's such a good cue so I find it weird that they don't market it much and the packaging is rubbish compared to others. It might be because it wouldn't fit but it's not the end of the world. I had one for my Ultra Pro which is also a radial.
I think they should design more cues that match the new black shaft. With the packaging, marketing and recent butt designs it's like they never expected to sell alot of them?

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon Fiber Shaft Reviews

I have seen several posts here and other sites about the different shafts.
Low deflection, taper, hit, sound, feel, etc. Obviously, most of the topics are subjective; what feels best to some, can be hated by others.
I am fine with subjectivity; however, not so much with false statements that can appear to be more of a sales attempt verses actual facts.
Granted, human nature is to prefer (or even brag about) something once we spend our hard earned money on it; however, hitting a few shots with a shaft is not a deflection test.
Telling someone a wood tenon inside a CF shaft with an added ferrule has less deflection then a Revo or Jacoby Black, is a false statement.
Anyone considering the purchase of one of the expensive CF shafts really should test them first.
That said, we all know this isn’t always an option, so many potential buyers read statements and reviews.
False statements by retailers/dealers/sellers are things we are all too familiar with...
The propagation of the false statements once we become owners, really does nothing for anyone else.
Ok… That’s my rant

Attachments

• All CF Shafts.jpg
    All CF Shafts.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 1,620

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it true the core of the black is wood?

The core of the Jacoby Black is a very high dense foam.
The deflection increase over the Revo is caused by the CF build-up at the leading edge. The build-up is support threads cut into the shaft wall that join the threads on the OD of the ferrule.

Attachments

• Jacoby Foam.jpg
    Jacoby Foam.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,559
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,558
Last edited: