AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to get lifetime cues
then one thing or another came up

i make this about even money not to last a month

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Runde butt w a 29.5 inch Searing shaft, best playing setup I’ve enjoyed. Still like to look, but not looking for a different playing cue.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope you are right!

Kevin,

I sincerely hope this is your Holy Grail. You do have a ton of experience with cues but expecting perfection from a new cue before playing with it is asking a lot. Aside from anything else, it might play better after aging five or ten years. Some of those cues in your collection might be worth revisiting too.

I lost the cue that was a part of my arm. Cheap POS but I used it a lot as a teenager. Got shattered when a cop tried to strongarm steal it. I had bought it new from a major retailer. However, the cue I played my very best with was a dufferin house cue with the tip on it that became milk duds. The cue was very light and I hated everything about it, except the cue ball control I had with it. It was magic.

My favorite pistol won some matches and set some records for me. I quit shooting it though. A pistol that was unpleasant to shoot and not near as much fun was 10% faster!

Only my favorite shotgun was also the best for me. That thing was an extension of my arm and I could acquire a target quicker than thought with it.

Just some thoughts and ramblings. I hope this is your lifetime cue. Once it is in hand you can post some pictures for us to drool over!

Hu

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me start by saying that I have owned close to 100 cues over my 30 plus years of playing pool. Some cues better than others but I have tried a lot of different cues.

On Wednesday of this week I have finally settled on what I feel will be my Lifetime Cue. I have ordered this cue from a custom cue maker and should have it in what I feel is a reasonable wait time. A lifetime cue to me should have the exact look, feel and playability that I desire.

For 21 years I have attended the Super Billiards Expo always in search of my lifetime cue. In a couple of those years and looking at thousands of different cues I was still yet to find that perfect cue. There were times when I thought I had found it but then I either didn't have enough money or wasn't able to justify the asking price of the cue.

I have ordered about a dozen custom cues over the years from a handful of different makers and have still not been totally satisfied. I have had a lot of great cues don't get me wrong but just not the total package.

With this next cue I am 100% sure I will be done buying, trying, trading and selling cues. I hope to remain patient during this build time although I am super anxious to receive this cue. I will disclose the makers name in the near future and obviously post pictures once I receive the cue.

Lastly I would like to know how many players have there own Lifetime Cue and would like to add their pictures to this thread.

Thanks for reading and also posting your lifetime cue and or pictures.

Kevin
What if u dont like the way it hits?

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People commonly force themselves to like a cue, only to list "the most amazing player they have ever owned" in a month
Well can u imagine waiting 13 years and spending thousands on a cue and realizing it aint a player? Mentally youd have to convince yourself it is.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Thanks for the chuckle...I mean, you've yet to hit a ball with this cue, yet you're sure it will be your "lifetime" cue? Hmmmm.

Exactly what I immediately thought.
Great looking Josey, too.

I'm lucky enough to have found my lifetime CUES many years ago. I have four cues by the same maker, each with two shafts. Two are 58", two are 60", and one has a built in extension. Their weights vary from 18.5 to 20.5oz. I can switch between them as often as I like without making any adjustments. Every shaft seems to play identically to the others.

OP, good luck and I hope your new cue plays how you wish it will.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lifetime cue? I got 4 of 'em!

So I will start off on a positive note. The enthusiasm you have is great and buying cues supports pool in a trickle down kinda way. As far as a lifetime cue ,any well made cue will last a lifetime. If you are trying to win money or tournaments the only cue is the one you play well with. If you enjoy the finer things in life and pool is a hobby for you collecting fine cues scratches that itch. Now there are some people that fit both of these categories. Those individuals that can afford to take a two thousand plus dollar piece of sports equipment to the monthly tournament. The downsides with that are people knocking into your collector cue and damaging it or wanting the latest technology and defacing your Black Boar with a Revo. Smooth sailing on your journey Sir.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Cue of a lifetime? No, not for collectors, or anyone interested in variety.

All the best,
WW

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, honestly, hope this cue turns out to be exactly how you hope it will be, but it's hard to produce a cue that will fit you "perfectly" without some later adjustments being made.

For me, a "lifetime" cue is one that "plays" up to my expectations. I'm not really interested in "lookers".

I have had two cues made by a Hall of Fame maker that is world famous and they didn't play anywhere near the same. The first was my "lifetime" cue at the time and I thought I would buy a more expensive one that would replace it, since I figured that they would play the same. I sold the "lifetime" cue as soon as I got the replacement and then found out it didn't suit me AT ALL.

The shafts were made identical to the first cue, in diameter, length, taper, ferrules, tips, etc. The butts were the same dimensions, but of different construction, woods, and wrap.

The first cue was a 4-point, ebony with 4-veneers into straight grain maple, SS 5/16-14 piloted compression joint and it had an Irish linen wrap.

The second cue was a Merry Widow, rosewood, leather wrap, with a SS 5/16-14 piloted compression joint.

Both cues came with two shafts. Neither of the new shafts on the new butt played anywhere like the two shafts on my original cue played on that butt.

I think you can get a "lifetime" cue that is a "looker" from just about any well known cue maker, but I don't think you can get a guaranteed "lifetime" "player" from any of them.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
my "lifetime cue " is like my love life......i am serially monogamus.....:grin:....:love:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
For all of the posters that want to hammer me about claiming to have found my lifetime cue I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't think it to be true. I know it seems like a reach to make this claim but I am ordering a cue that will have the exact look that I am after. It will have the weight and specs that I want as well, and lastly it will have a Jacoby Edge Hybrid shaft blank matched to the cue so I feel pretty confident that the playability will be there to match the looks. I have been using the same shaft for several years now so there will be no adjustment factor needed. As some proof to my confidence please watch the for sale threads shortly as I will be selling off all of my remaining cues and be down to just this one last cue.

For all of the positive posts on this tread I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Kevin

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get the itch to buy another cue about every 5-7 years. I have owned my current main player for almost 6 years. In the past 6 months or so, there have been two cues offered for sale that caught my eye. In the past I would have been scheming how I could justify to my wife that I needed another cue. But I just don’t have any desire to side-line my current player. Perhaps I have settled on my “remainder of my” lifetime cue.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all of the posters that want to hammer me about claiming to have found my lifetime cue I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't think it to be true. I know it seems like a reach to make this claim but I am ordering a cue that will have the exact look that I am after. It will have the weight and specs that I want as well, and lastly it will have a Jacoby Edge Hybrid shaft blank matched to the cue so I feel pretty confident that the playability will be there to match the looks. I have been using the same shaft for several years now so there will be no adjustment factor needed. As some proof to my confidence please watch the for sale threads shortly as I will be selling off all of my remaining cues and be down to just this one last cue.

For all of the positive posts on this tread I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Kevin
To me, selling your other cues sounds like you are trying to convince yourself you don’t have an addiction to cues. “See, I am cutting ties!” I’ve done that too. Didn’t work, and I regretted it.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I love my Meucci, and I love my Viking just as much; although the weights are different, and the shafts are different. The truth is, I'd still like to own one more nice cue. Why? Because people are rarely, truly 100% satisfied.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin's Taste IN Cues Is Impeccable.

Kevin is right. If you find a cue-maker that floats your boat and ultimately settle on what you want
the cue-maker to make for you, and the cue is made exactly as you want it from the design aspect
and more importantly, the cue's actual specifications rather than just entrust that to "any" cue-maker,
you likely will wind up with a cue for a lifetime. I know that if I had been able to do that with Ed Prewitt
or even better yet, Joel Hercek, then rest assured that cue would surely qualify as my lifetime cue.

It is the cue-maker that determines whether the cue qualifies as your lifetime cue. Let's be truthful and
candid. Some cue-makers are just better than others and it shows up with the cues they produce. The
customer can either entrust the cue build to the cue-maker and just say make my cue 19.5 ozs and
sit at home waiting for it. Or you can work with the cue-maker and decide the weights and sizes of
the cue's components that you want. If it is the right cue-maker, then either approach should result
in a satisfied customer. I just happen to think that when you are spending money, you should get
what you want, not what someone else thinks you'd want and this is especially true for custom cues.

You do not see any of my cues going up for sale and two of my cues were purchased through the
resale market so I had zero input with both cues which were admittedly expensive cues (Prewitt &
Scruggs Cues). Each looks and plays really nice but the customs I had Bob & Jerry make play a
bit better. And of all my cues, my last cue from Mr. Owen plays the best of my collection. It was
built exactly as I ordered down to the size and weight of the shafts to the cue butt size and weight.
The weight proportionality is exactly as requested and the workmanship is comparable with anyone
making cues today for the design that I asked for. Yeah, that's definitely a cue of a lifetime but so is
my last Jerry R. that was built the very same way. Find a cue-maker you admire, trust and work with
them building a cue built just for you as you like it instead of the general pool playing public.

Cudos to Kevin for creating this thread and I can't wait to see what he winds up with. Kevin already
has the most gorgeous Scruggs cue I've seen so if he is excited about this cue underway, rest
assured it will be a real humdinger. Kevin, did you select with Eddie Cohen as your cue-maker?

Matt B.