for those with multiple cues which play best ??

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im a peon in the cue world . but to all the folks who are hardcore players and own tons of cues which ones do you own that play the best ??

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im a peon in the cue world . but to all the folks who are hardcore players and own tons of cues which ones do you own that play the best ??
I think most on here who have multiple very good quality cues will confirm that there is no magical cue out there that is going to get your game to the next level. You may have a preferred favorite in terms of how it looks and the feedback you get when you hit it, but that doesn’t likely translate to playing any better.

I think most on here who have multiple very good quality cues will confirm that there is no magical cue out there that is going to get your game to the next level. You may have a preferred favorite in terms of how it looks and the feedback you get when you hit it, but that doesn’t likely translate to playing any better.

Yeah, and for $600, you can get a very nice Custom sneaky from Pat Diveney, that any serious player would probably love.

I always like to recommend Pat Diveney cues, because they are affordable for most serious players, and most serious players who have played with them really love them.

He does build some very high end cues though, so $500 would get you his most basic sneaky, but I would get the sneaky with the BEM forearm for an extra hundred, so make the cue look so much better.

For those that would like something high end, here is one for $2800.

http://www.diveneycue.com/pool-cues...nt-black-natural-veneers-into-birdseye-maple/

By the way, many Pro players have played with Diveney cues. Skyler Woodward used a Diveney for years (up until Meucci sponsored him), and I was told that he still has that cue.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, and for $600, you can get a very nice Custom sneaky from Pat Diveney, that any serious player would probably love.

I always like to recommend Pat Diveney cues, because they are affordable for most serious players, and most serious players who have played with them really love them.

He does build some very high end cues though, so $500 would get you his most basic sneaky, but I would get the sneaky with the BEM forearm for an extra hundred, so make the cue look so much better.

For those that would like something high end, here is one for $2800.

http://www.diveneycue.com/pool-cues...nt-black-natural-veneers-into-birdseye-maple/

By the way, many Pro players have played with Diveney cues. Skyler Woodward used a Diveney for years (up until Meucci sponsored him), and I was told that he still has that cue.

Many pro players have played with every cue imaginable.

Cues don't have to be custom for Pros to play and win with them.

I have CJ Wiley's McDermott that he won the Million Dollar Challenge Tournament with in 1996. He used this cue for the tournament and beat Earl Strickland in the finals with it, after Earl had run 11 racks on the first day and won the MILLION DOLLARS. I've had the cue for years and I don' think it's going to make me play like CJ Wiley did with it. I think it still has blue chalk on the tip from being used in that tournament.

Sneaky Petes are nice, but not everybody wants something that simple. I have one made of cocobolo that I really like. It was made by Murray Tucker in 2000 and was one of the first five cues he ever made.

John Chaplin (JC on here) is making me a cue right now that I hope to be receiving in the very near future. He makes really nice cues. Mine is a Merry Widow made of cocobolo with a sindora burl handle and the butt is cored with purple heart. I ordered it with a matching extension.

It will be the twin of this one:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=504430&highlight=sindora+burl

There are tons of good cue makers out there. You just have to know what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Schmelke plays the best. No wait it's my BCM that plays the best. Just a minute is could be my Samsara that plays the best.

Scratch all that it very well could be the aftermarket shafts and/or tips on those shafts that make em the best.

Then again it could be me.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've had quite a few cues before I started making cues .
From Viking to Guffy to McD Balicini to a few customs .
Best ones I had was an 8-pointer ebony Judd cue and Zylr birdseye maple cue.
I had 4 locally made sneaky petes too. They were average .
My playing cue now is a paper micarta cue with smooth leather.

A friend has $250,000 worth of cues. I've tried almost all of them.
A few stand out. A Petersen 4-pointer , Scruggs sneaky pete, SW satin maple cue, Zylr curly maple and bubinga Hagan cue. Lots of fancy ones that don't stand out in the hit dept. imo.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am in this boat in terms of cues and agree 100%

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only have 3 cues
Schmelke
Lucasi
Troy Downey.

They all play good.
But if I had to play a game for my life I'm pulling out the Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo cue.
Simply because I've had it for 10 years and it feel the most comfortable in my hands.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
At last count, I am at a few dozen cues ;)

Schuler

———————

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve shot with and owned a players, imagination (real cheap brand), predator (all kinds), joss, black boar, Lambros (multiple), Diveney, Lucasi, Frey, Gulyassy, McDermott, tiger, and probably a few more that I can’t remember. Not going to lie, but I’ve liked predators the best. Only reason being is that what’s I shot with when I was learning and got real comfortable with the “feel”. Most will probably favor what they learned with or spent a lot of time with. I’ve had real time with cues at the $100 range to the +$2k range and like a pred that’s around that $500-$700. Just prefer the feel and way they shoot.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
They get no respect on here, at least partly due to the awful designs they used to sell, but of all I have the Viking Vikore shaft is my favorite. Anywhere from $200 to 700 but the shaft is the same.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned a bunch and i'd put the Mezz AXI-K i use now up against any of them. Superb cues and priced really right.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDaniel Q-8 with a $ ferruleless shaft wearing a soaked and pressed Triangle tip.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

My favorite is meucci with the pro shaft. I have 4 of them. Have played with predator, pechauer, joss, adam and mezz.:)

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any straight cue with good Elkmaster tip! Plays better than other cues I try sometimes :D

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Cues don't have to be custom for Pros to play and win with them.

I have CJ Wiley's McDermott that he won the Million Dollar Challenge Tournament with in 1996. He used this cue for the tournament and beat Earl Strickland in the finals with it, after Earl had run 11 racks on the first day and won the MILLION DOLLARS. I've had the cue for years and I don' think it's going to make me play like CJ Wiley did with it. I think it still has blue chalk on the tip from being used in that tournament.

Sneaky Petes are nice, but not everybody wants something that simple. I have one made of cocobolo that I really like. It was made by Murray Tucker in 2000 and was one of the first five cues he ever made.

John Chaplin (JC on here) is making me a cue right now that I hope to be receiving in the very near future. He makes really nice cues. Mine is a Merry Widow made of cocobolo with a sindora burl handle and the butt is cored with purple heart. I ordered it with a matching extension.

It will be the twin of this one:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=504430&highlight=sindora+burl

There are tons of good cue makers out there. You just have to know what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.

Think Allison Fisher when she was winning most of the Women's Pro Events pleaded with a CueTech. She was sponsored by CueTect, this because CueTech was Allison Cue they sold a few Cue.

People are alway looking for a Magic Stick, it human nature.:p

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Dennis Orcullo changes cues more often than I change underwear. :eek: Corey changes fairly regularly too.

I have more cues than I need. I could cull half of them and still have too many.

I can use any cue I own and not feel hampered. Some feel better than others, but a simple tip change could probably change that somewhat. I primarily use my main player now for three reasons: 1.) I now prefer 60" cues, 2.) I love the way my cue feels and plays, and 3.) because Larry Vigus is a helluva cuemaker and an overall nice guy.

I was cleaning the shaft of my wife's Cuetec (w/R360 shaft) yesterday and when I got through I wanted to shoot a rack so see how it felt (it was my main player years ago). I was shooting so good with it I ended up playing for over an hour with it. I was surprising myself with how well I played with it.

Maniac