onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I like the carbon fiber look a lot. I am old school so prefer to play with wood, but that carbon fiber appearance I like. I was going to buy some after market stuff for my car that is made from carbon fiber but DAYUMMMM carbon fiber stuff is expenive!!!!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Thanks for the review. I ordered the 12.00mm too because I enjoyed the hit of the becue at sbe. I've been shooting with the 12.4mm Revo the past 18ish months. Think I'm going to enjoy the thinner shaft for sure.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as I promised earlier I am providing my Becue with Prime-M 12.0mm review. And while there was a voice of one guy who rightfully pointed out that there is a sub-forum dedicated to cue reviews I cant ignore the fact that vast majority of replies asked me to post it here in the main forum. I will use already existing thread, hopefully it wont cause any outrage. Prior to the review I am pointing out again that I am sponsored by Becue but it is my own initiative to write this review as several posters are curious about Becue; I repeat - no one is pushing me to write it, just myself! And as Revo is only other mainstream CF shaft available on the market atm and I own and played with Revo 12.9 I will use it as a reference in my review. Ok here we go :)
I have been playing with Prime-M for 10 days now and I am starting to get used to it so thats where I stand now. As usual I will break my review into several categories:
1) energy transfer
2) stroke comfort
3) feedback/hit
4) deflection
5) weight distribution and grip

1) Energy transfer
While some folks here are still in deep denial when it comes to energy transfer difference between carbon fiber and wood the fact is there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in material properties between wooden shafts and CF shafts. Basically Revo was the only LD shaft that had about the same energy transfer as full maple shafts. That is until Becue came around. And I can say that Prime-M competes with Revo on the same level in this regards.

2) Stroke comfort
Here it is simple - I definitely like Prime-M 12mm much more than Revo 12.9mm (and Revo 12.4 as well as I had chance to shoot with it too) when it comes to stroke comfort, Prime-M is definitely easier on my fingers due to the long taper in combination of Prime-M thickness; also it is easier to play shots off the rail or jacked-up due to the slimmer shaft. Oh and I forgot to say that the surface of Prime-M is basically the same as Revo, no colour layer at all :)

3) Feedback/hit
Revo vs Becue are little bit different, Revo seems quite stiff while Becue is more on the flexible side. This topic is very subjective as each player prefers something else so I will just say that I like both Revo and Becue, from time to time I shoot few shots with wooden cue just to see the difference and I really dont see myself coming back to wood any time soon :D So both are winners for me ;)

4) Deflection
In this regards Prime-M is quite close to Revo with Revo winning this battle by a nose. Both Prime-M and Revo are very consistent with the amount of deflection (or better to say with the lack of it) with different speeds which shortens a learning curve considerably. The main reason for Prime-M having slightly higher deflection than Revo is the transparent ferrule. Becue has decided to sacrifice a few % of deflection with that transparent pad, it allows players to change tips without having to take Prime-M to service person with a lathe every single time - thats basically the reason why Becue went this way.

5) Weight distribution and grip
Becue is 19oz and little bit back-heavy but nothing extreme. I had a custom order in regards to the butt surface as I really like the grip of Becue Dark Matter breaker (basically the similar feeling as the shaft itself). I was told what material that surface is but honestly I dont rememeber the name, basically some toxic shit if you smoke it :D

So here you have it, this is my review on Becue Prime-M 12mm. It is up to you fellas what you take from it.

P.s.: I am having fun with Becue for sure, on Saturday I participated in team nationals and I won 14-1 match (race to 75) in two innings with runs of 8 and 67 and out which felt good :thumbup: I dont practice 14.1 much nowadays, i just played on the instinct alone with Becue ;)

Merek, thanks for the review and insight.
I look forward to your 500 hour review on the same shaft.
Also, what tip are you using on the PrimeM? I believe they are coming standard with an Ultraskin Med.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Nice review Marek. But I was shocked that you feel the cue ball deflection is slightly higher with the 12.0mm Prime M shaft, versus the REVO 12.4mm shaft. (I have a 12.0mm REVO and it has slightly less cue ball deflection than the 12.4mm REVO).

I just assumed that 12.0mm Prime-M would have slightly less than REVO 12.4mm, not that it would make one better playing than the other.

JoeyA

So as I promised earlier I am providing my Becue with Prime-M 12.0mm review. And while there was a voice of one guy who rightfully pointed out that there is a sub-forum dedicated to cue reviews I cant ignore the fact that vast majority of replies asked me to post it here in the main forum. I will use already existing thread, hopefully it wont cause any outrage. Prior to the review I am pointing out again that I am sponsored by Becue but it is my own initiative to write this review as several posters are curious about Becue; I repeat - no one is pushing me to write it, just myself! And as Revo is only other mainstream CF shaft available on the market atm and I own and played with Revo 12.9 I will use it as a reference in my review. Ok here we go :)
I have been playing with Prime-M for 10 days now and I am starting to get used to it so thats where I stand now. As usual I will break my review into several categories:
1) energy transfer
2) stroke comfort
3) feedback/hit
4) deflection
5) weight distribution and grip

1) Energy transfer
While some folks here are still in deep denial when it comes to energy transfer difference between carbon fiber and wood the fact is there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in material properties between wooden shafts and CF shafts. Basically Revo was the only LD shaft that had about the same energy transfer as full maple shafts. That is until Becue came around. And I can say that Prime-M competes with Revo on the same level in this regards.

2) Stroke comfort
Here it is simple - I definitely like Prime-M 12mm much more than Revo 12.9mm (and Revo 12.4 as well as I had chance to shoot with it too) when it comes to stroke comfort, Prime-M is definitely easier on my fingers due to the long taper in combination of Prime-M thickness; also it is easier to play shots off the rail or jacked-up due to the slimmer shaft. Oh and I forgot to say that the surface of Prime-M is basically the same as Revo, no colour layer at all :)

3) Feedback/hit
Revo vs Becue are little bit different, Revo seems quite stiff while Becue is more on the flexible side. This topic is very subjective as each player prefers something else so I will just say that I like both Revo and Becue, from time to time I shoot few shots with wooden cue just to see the difference and I really dont see myself coming back to wood any time soon :D So both are winners for me ;)

4) Deflection
In this regards Prime-M is quite close to Revo with Revo winning this battle by a nose. Both Prime-M and Revo are very consistent with the amount of deflection (or better to say with the lack of it) with different speeds which shortens a learning curve considerably. The main reason for Prime-M having slightly higher deflection than Revo is the transparent ferrule. Becue has decided to sacrifice a few % of deflection with that transparent pad, it allows players to change tips without having to take Prime-M to service person with a lathe every single time - thats basically the reason why Becue went this way.

5) Weight distribution and grip
Becue is 19oz and little bit back-heavy but nothing extreme. I had a custom order in regards to the butt surface as I really like the grip of Becue Dark Matter breaker (basically the similar feeling as the shaft itself). I was told what material that surface is but honestly I dont rememeber the name, basically some toxic shit if you smoke it :D

So here you have it, this is my review on Becue Prime-M 12mm. It is up to you fellas what you take from it.

P.s.: I am having fun with Becue for sure, on Saturday I participated in team nationals and I won 14-1 match (race to 75) in two innings with runs of 8 and 67 and out which felt good :thumbup: I dont practice 14.1 much nowadays, i just played on the instinct alone with Becue ;)

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Nice review Marek. But I was shocked that you feel the cue ball deflection is slightly higher with the 12.0mm Prime M shaft, versus the REVO 12.4mm shaft. (I have a 12.0mm REVO and it has slightly less cue ball deflection than the 12.4mm REVO).

I just assumed that 12.0mm Prime-M would have slightly less than REVO 12.4mm, not that it would make one better playing than the other.

JoeyA

So Joey, the prime M would be even a bit more for you deflection wise then. Believe Marek said it was because they use the little ferrule as apposed to Revo with no ferrule.

I also wonder how different the shafts play with different joints.

From my experience with the Revo's the hit is a bit different from the uni-loc to the radial. Don't get me wrong both play great but I've like the hit just a tad better with the radial. I've also ordered my prime M in radial as well.

wibo

Registered
Thank you for your review ...
BeCue says that the Prime M should have less Deflection ...

Attachments

• Unbenannt.jpg
    Unbenannt.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 622

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review, Marek. Any videos coming up soon? Maybe some of those full-table power draws or some exercises/matches/ghost?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some of my thoughts. When it comes to my preferences in shaft properties when it comes to performance:
- on the first place is energy transfer. My practical experience tells that this property does affect how much spin you could apply with a certain amount of power used for the shot.
Then I look into the deflection and the feel, how comfort to play with it (taper, how smooth). When it comes to deflection well I'm the one ...when I played my best back then it was with solid maple shafts so I learned how to deal with deflection. Now I play with LD shaft built on my own and I do enjoy it. As a coach I must admit that for somebody who just started to learn the game and when the time comes strarts to get used to side spins it is easier to learn with less deflection shaft and if that shaft is also the best as for energy transfer then = even better because for somebody with inconsistent stroke the less power he needs to use the better.
When I tried Revo I liked the taper and feel (how smooth it was). The first 37 sm the taper is pretty straight just fairly slightly increasing. My own maple shaft which is really stiff has the taper which increases much faster but Revo is just the different animal. Being quite slimmer it is stiffer and the main difference is in the frequency of the vibrations and how fast it stops. When it comes to aiming with a black no ferrule shaft...well my current maple shaft is ferrule less but of course it was a new experience to aim with a black shaft. I should add that it was standard Victory tip on the Revo which is orange/yellowish so it made some contrast for better feeling the distance to the CB and I can't say that it was very difficult to adapt but I had only two hours of playing with Revo so who knows. I guess in case of no ferrule black shaft the color of the tip has a greater meaning than with a wooden shaft (no matter with a ferrule or no ferrule). For somedy using let's say Kamui black tip on a Revo when there is no good contrast in between the shaft and the tip it might feel awkward for sighting.

So if this new Prime-M 12 mm shaft being slimmer and more flexible does not compromise it regarding energy transfer and it is fairly comparable to the Revo when it comes to deflection there is possibility in slightly lowering it by making that transparent pad thinner or even go as it was in prototype and that is in case somebody is so sensitive to that difference.
I believe Becue with their new generation of shafts made a big step in front and I wish them to succeed in what they're doing and keep improving and I wish the same for you, Marek).

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some of my thoughts. When it comes to my preferences in shaft properties when it comes to performance:
- on the first place is energy transfer. My practical experience tells that this property does affect how much spin you could apply with a certain amount of power used for the shot.
Then I look into the deflection and the feel, how comfort to play with it (taper, how smooth). When it comes to deflection well I'm the one ...when I played my best back then it was with solid maple shafts so I learned how to deal with deflection. Now I play with LD shaft built on my own and I do enjoy it. As a coach I must admit that for somebody who just started to learn the game and when the time comes strarts to get used to side spins it is easier to learn with less deflection shaft and if that shaft is also the best as for energy transfer then = even better because for somebody with inconsistent stroke the less power he needs to use the better.
When I tried Revo I liked the taper and feel (how smooth it was). The first 37 sm the taper is pretty straight just fairly slightly increasing. My own maple shaft which is really stiff has the taper which increases much faster but Revo is just the different animal. Being quite slimmer it is stiffer and the main difference is in the frequency of the vibrations and how fast it stops. When it comes to aiming with a black no ferrule shaft...well my current maple shaft is ferrule less but of course it was a new experience to aim with a black shaft. I should add that it was standard Victory tip on the Revo which is orange/yellowish so it made some contrast for better feeling the distance to the CB and I can't say that it was very difficult to adapt but I had only two hours of playing with Revo so who knows. I guess in case of no ferrule black shaft the color of the tip has a greater meaning than with a wooden shaft (no matter with a ferrule or no ferrule). For somedy using let's say Kamui black tip on a Revo when there is no good contrast in between the shaft and the tip it might feel awkward for sighting.

So if this new Prime-M 12 mm shaft being slimmer and more flexible does not compromise it regarding energy transfer and it is fairly comparable to the Revo when it comes to deflection there is possibility in slightly lowering it by making that transparent pad thinner or even go as it was in prototype and that is in case somebody is so sensitive to that difference.
I believe Becue with their new generation of shafts made a big step in front and I wish them to succeed in what they're doing and keep improving and I wish the same for you, Marek).

I'm currently practicing with the primeM shaft and haven't written a review yet, but another aspect of the transparent ferrule is that it offers a small visual difference when sighting down the shaft between a black tip and the dark shaft. It appears like a shiny strip that is right before the tip. For me, this helps in addressing the cue ball. I know the main purpose is that the material bonds perfectly with the chemical that is used in Locktite to install tips, so your tip will never fall off from a bonding problem.

Here is a couple of photos to show what I'm referring to when sighting down the shaft...

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cardigan Kid have you done some deflection testing between the Becue shafts?

If you've seen Dr. Dave's video on how he tested deflection with pivot point, I think that's a really good approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwytGsNl2vc

I have not. I'm afraid my editing and graphics software is very limited and not like the doctor's. So a video would be limited in scope. But I could do some testing and just post about it.

I always thought that deflection talk when dealing with these high end shafts gets lost in the weeds after a while. Doctor Dave's video showed the deflection was extremely similar between the revo, cue tec cf, and the wood z2. We all handle deflection differently anyways.

What I am interested in is the stiffness/vibration of the shaft and also, will the shaft and the materials (more importantly, the filing material inside) will they hold up over time after extended hours of use.

Take Merek's word for it that the revo and BeCue PrimeM play similar in terms of deflection. But the taper and length (BeCue will build 29, 30, and 31 inch shafts) as well as various pins. At least one CF cue company (BeCue) is still accommodating players and what the players want and not telling the players you play with what we decide is best to build.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not. I'm afraid my editing and graphics software is very limited and not like the doctor's. So a video would be limited in scope. But I could do some testing and just post about it.

I always thought that deflection talk when dealing with these high end shafts gets lost in the weeds after a while. Doctor Dave's video showed the deflection was extremely similar between the revo, cue tec cf, and the wood z2. We all handle deflection differently anyways.

What I am interested in is the stiffness/vibration of the shaft and also, will the shaft and the materials (more importantly, the filing material inside) will they hold up over time after extended hours of use.

Take Merek's word for it that the revo and BeCue PrimeM play similar in terms of deflection. But the taper and length (BeCue will build 29, 30, and 31 inch shafts) as well as various pins. At least one CF cue company (BeCue) is still accommodating players and what the players want and not telling the players you play with what we decide is best to build.

Good point. I think it's one of the few objective measures of a cue's playing properties, so I think it's interesting to measure it if possible.

By the way, does anyone have the 5.1 M - marek, Ricky Bryant, or you? That's the one closest to what I'm using now, so probably the one I would get. But all the focus has been on the Prime M, so I don't know if there are any other differences.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree!

As someone that has used becue prime, prime m, cuetec and revos, I can say that the becue prime m and cuetec are neck in neck in deflection, feel and stiffness.

Revo however is much lower in deflection than becue prime m and cuetec and is stiffer than either as well.

It's clear to most than revos are out performing all other CF shafts made currently.

Now, having said the above, I will be switching to becue if predator does not start matching Becue's customer service, as well as, giving options for shaft length, width and pins.

I feel that we pool players have given revo plenty of time to meet the "needs" of their customers as a "whole" and to stop forcing us to accept a cookie cutter shaft, regardless of how well it performs.

The customer should have a say in what they pay for at some point. Otherwise, like myself, some or even a lot of them will move to another brand even if they have to adjust to a higher deflection and a little less stiffness..... eventhough, the "feel" would be a plus.

Becue and Cuetec regardless of deflection and stiffness will be taking their place in the market very soon. To me, it's a good thing. Maybe at some point that will cause the price point to adjust. Not to mention, may even cause one of them to push the technology even further to gain an edge.

Rake

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point. I think it's one of the few objective measures of a cue's playing properties, so I think it's interesting to measure it if possible.

By the way, does anyone have the 5.1 M - marek, Ricky Bryant, or you? That's the one closest to what I'm using now, so probably the one I would get. But all the focus has been on the Prime M, so I don't know if there are any other differences.

I have the first and second generation 5.1, the first generation Prime, and now the PrimeM....
The difference between the 5.1 and the prime was the taper, 5.1 being conical to the Prime with a more pro taper.....the 5.1 is the stiffer and more solid hit of all for obvious reasons, more beefy in feel for those who use closed bridge, the cue would get tight and open the fingers up on the follow through. The shorter the bridge, then it plays just fine.
The Prime solved those issues for those who use a bridge between 6-12" with the taper starting further down the shaft.
Now the primeM is what I term as an Ultra-Pro taper, with the tip diameter being held a good deal down the shaft with the flaring out starting halfway to the joint.

Here is the first generation Prime next to the PrimeM both at 12.00mm....

I was told the Prime M will be the new format going forward with the Prime in white carrying the same ultra pro taper dimensions.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here are photo comparisons between all three models...5.1, Prime, Prime M....all at 12.0mm and length of 31"....

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the first and second generation 5.1, the first generation Prime, and now the PrimeM....
The difference between the 5.1 and the prime was the taper, 5.1 being conical to the Prime with a more pro taper.....the 5.1 is the stiffer and more solid hit of all for obvious reasons, more beefy in feel for those who use closed bridge, the cue would get tight and open the fingers up on the follow through. The shorter the bridge, then it plays just fine.
The Prime solved those issues for those who use a bridge between 6-12" with the taper starting further down the shaft.
Now the primeM is what I term as an Ultra-Pro taper, with the tip diameter being held a good deal down the shaft with the flaring out starting halfway to the joint.

Here is the first generation Prime next to the PrimeM both at 12.00mm....

I was told the Prime M will be the new format going forward with the Prime in white carrying the same ultra pro taper dimensions.

Again, very accurately stated about the taper and comfort. Very accurate!!!

Revo had better take note and act or IMO will regret it later.