Mr 600

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
I really don't understand it either.

I have a question as well, how come people are accusing us (ganging up as coward bullies will) just because we would like to see visual proof that the run does exist?

I really don't understand it either. You would think a competitive group like this would demand more. considering the number of them they are a small group.

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
speachless

wow,

So you listen to your pros when you like what you think they say and when one disagrees you insult and harass him like little children.

From now on I'm going to consider most of you paid for. I have no other idea why you folks would act like such tools.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As best I can tell there are a number of questions that keep resurfacing. It seems like much of the disagreement comes from either answering different questions or not understanding which of these answers are opinions versus factually based. Some of these questions are:

1. Did John actually run 626?
2. Assuming the run is confirmed, is John's 626 more impressive than Mosconi's 526?
3. Is John now a better straight pool player than Mosconi was?
4. Is the way records are verified or tracked in pool broken?
5. Assuming the run is confirmed, is John's 626 the new record?

Did John actually run 626? This is kind of an opinion question, "Do we have enough evidence to choose to believe personally?" I believe he did. I don't have proof, but I believe a lot of things without first hand proof. I don't know he did, but I believe he did. While I would like JS to release his video, if he shared it with the BCA and they confirmed the run then I am satisfied. At the same time if someone else is suspicious of his run I can see their point and that is their call. When we are personally persuaded will change from person to person.

Assuming the run is confirmed, is John's 626 more impressive than Mosconi's 526? This is clearly an opinion question. Personally I find both accomplishments amazing in different ways. Mosconi set his run in exhibition play, playing on equipment from the 50's, already the record holder, and just ran balls forever. John showed remarkable tenacity and had the gumption to get back in the ring time and again, striving for a number that seems to anyone else in the world to be far out of reach. Two different accomplishments, both amazing. I don't have to pick a favorite any more than I do with my children, but again this is opinion so if someone picks Mosconi's run as their favorite I can understand that and have no qualms.

Is John now a better straight pool player than Mosconi was? Another opinion question. For me the answer is 'No'. I think most of us agree on this point, including John.

Is the way records are verified or tracked in pool broken? Opinion on how things work. Personally I don't have a strong opinion. I think it's ok but could be taught something if someone disagrees.

Is John's 626 the new record? Fact. Yes. The BCA confirmed the run and 626 is a larger number than 526.

In summary, there is room to see things differently on many points as many of these questions are largely opinion based and up to each of us personally.

To the Schmidt supporters, I don't see what right we have to demand that others are satisfied with the evidence of the run, that they must acknowledge how impressive this feat really was, or that they like the way record attempts are made. It is their right to be skeptical or unimpressed. And to the Mosconi supporters, they don't have the right to tell us that we can't be impressed with a 626 ball run.

One thing that speaks for itself is this is the new record. Like it or hate it the BCA has confirmed the run and this record is now on the books. This is a fact I would hope we can all agree on.

Maybe by paying better attention to which questions people are actually answering and giving each other more leeway to express their own opinions we could get along a little better.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As best I can tell there are a number of questions that keep resurfacing. It seems like much of the disagreement comes from either answering different questions or not understanding which of these answers are opinions versus factually based. Some of these questions are:

2. Assuming the run is confirmed, is John's 626 more impressive than Mosconi's 526?

Did John actually run 626? This is kind of an opinion question, "Do we have enough evidence to choose to believe personally?" I believe he did. I don't have proof, but I believe a lot of things without first hand proof. I don't know he did, but I believe he did. While I would like JS to release his video, if he shared it with the BCA and they confirmed the run then I am satisfied. At the same time if someone else is suspicious of his run I can see their point and that is their call. When we are personally persuaded will change from person to person.

Assuming the run is confirmed, is John's 626 more impressive than Mosconi's 526? This is clearly an opinion question. Personally I find both accomplishments amazing in different ways. Mosconi set his run in exhibition play, playing on equipment from the 50's, already the record holder, and just ran balls forever. John showed remarkable tenacity and had the gumption to get back in the ring time and again, striving for a number that seems to anyone else in the world to be far out of reach. Two different accomplishments, both amazing. I don't have to pick a favorite any more than I do with my children, but again this is opinion so if someone picks Mosconi's run as their favorite I can understand that and have no qualms.

Is John now a better straight pool player than Mosconi was? Another opinion question. For me the answer is 'No'. I think most of us agree on this point, including John.

Is the way records are verified or tracked in pool broken? Opinion on how things work. Personally I don't have a strong opinion. I think it's ok but could be taught something if someone disagrees.

Is John's 626 the new record? Fact. Yes. The BCA confirmed the run and 626 is a larger number than 526.

In summary, there is room to see things differently on many points as many of these questions are largely opinion based and up to each of us personally.

To the Schmidt supporters, I don't see what right we have to demand that others are satisfied with the evidence of the run, that they must acknowledge how impressive this feat really was, or that they like the way record attempts are made. It is their right to be skeptical or unimpressed. And to the Mosconi supporters, they don't have the right to tell us that we can't be impressed with a 626 ball run.

One thing that speaks for itself is this is the new record. Like it or hate it the BCA has confirmed the run and this record is now on the books. This is a fact I would hope we can all agree on.

Maybe by paying better attention to which questions people are actually answering and giving each other more leeway to express their own opinions we could get along a little better.

Very clear and well thought out post as usual.

I agree with everything you said.

Bottom line is, John Schmidt's 626 ball run is and probably will be the 14.1 run record for a long time to come unless he or another very, very strong 14.1 player decides to devote a good part of their life to beating John's 14.1 world record.

Again, great post sir. I hope all agrees with you. We can only hope.

Jeff

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In one of ur earlier posts u said I really can't understand your doubt when 'people' have seen the video' those people are the bca (powers at be) this bothers me. I see ur clever - but not clever enough. That was a really painfully normal politicly correct diversion, if u believe everything u hear "people" have said they saw as definitive proof - then u are a blossoming idiot. With great power comes great accountability.
Your so afraid of someone pulling a fast one on you that you refuse to believe anything without first hand knowledge?

One must take into account what is being said and make their own decisions based upon the nature of the claim. If john said he filmed a pterodactyl and sent the tape to the Smithsonian and they "verified" it but didn't show anyone, a rational person would be completely sceptical.

In this case, the claim is completely believable. A man, who had the particular skill set necessary, set out on a mission to complete a particular goal.

Then you have to take into account what is gained by lying about it. Everybody involved has to stand to gain something by this. In this case anything gained, for most people involved, is too small to be bothered by such trouble.

What sounds more likely, the bca reviewed a legitimate video and said "great job John"? Or the BCA is in on some conspiracy, completely risking whatever credibility and reputation they have, all so john can have his false glory?

I know this world is full of misinformation and confusion. I know there are a lot of intelligent and ruthless people trying to confuse and manipulate other intelligent people. The BCA is not the deep state. These handful of people, two of what I've read is true, are not the puppet masters.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good post but I have some thoughts that diverge.

First, I believe JS put 626 balls into the pockets. Personally, I'm not really questioning that. But I'd like to see the video to see how he did it. I want to see if there were OB fouls. I want to see if, when, where, and how the CB was picked up. I want to see how often the balls were polished. And generally speaking, I'd like to see how the table played.

From a slightly difirent perspective I'd like to see the run because undoubtably JS has learned patterns that provide the best opportunities for longer runs and I'd like to learn that.

Second, other than a pool table being involved, there is little comparison to what Mosconi did and what JS did. We've been over this many times but quickly: Mosconi did it in one attempt on a foreign table and did not lock himself up in a room and go at it for months on end on a table and with conditions specifically set up to maximize the potential of a high run. Mosconi had an opponent, didn't use a Sardo, didn't play at the wrong end of the table, and basically didn't accomplish his run under perfect conditions, so no, JS's run cannot possible be considered the more impressive effort.

Third, as many of us understand: a champion wins championships. And until JS wins championships against the best of his era -- as Mosconi did -- Mosconi must be consider the far superior player.

Fourth, there's no problem with the evidence of yesterday or today, if only we could see the evidence of today.

Fifth, as to whether the 626 will be the new record, the BCA has already decided that. However, that does not mean that we should ignore how it was accomplished and why it differs from Mosconi's.

Lou Figueroa

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
this thread has gone batshit crazy.

Lol. They all do when they're about the Big One.

I love it though. People are still talking about this thing, the conversational equivalent of insanity. Round and round without change. Trying to figure out the right words and put them in proper order to make a change. Plata o plomo room owner...we want to see what went down.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Time for deletion of this so-called batsh*t thread! Wasn't going anywhere anyway. Main subject went silent months ago.

Why should a thread be deleted?...there are some gems in here...
....and some crap.

If I don’t like a thread.....I stop reading it.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
u ride the skies

Danny Harriman is a stooge sent to destroy this thread.
Proof:
YouTube.com

I really think u float through the sewers rather than riding the skies. Ur now on the ignore list moron of epic proportions. Come visit me face to face in MO sometime I know a good spot for u to get to know me even better.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
video proof

still no video proof, the longer they (the powers that be ha ha) wait the more people 'real eyes' they should sever any ties they have with bca, nytime, and facebook. Sure u can trust the govt just ask an Indian (bca = governing body of pool aka bureauc'rats'). I do not mean to say that everyone associated with bca is bad, but i believe they bit off more than they could chew with this. I guess it's close enough for govt work.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I love it though. People are still talking about this thing, the conversational equivalent of insanity. Round and round without change. Trying to figure out the right words and put them in proper order to make a change. Plata o plomo room owner...we want to see what went down.

Easy Escobar, how much Plata you gonna shell out? lol

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
chaos

Do you really enjoy the chaos of the fake news experiment, if so then that might lead me to believe your not a dude I would want to sit down and have a pint of guiness with. Maybe the bca could have consulted with guiness book of world records before trying to push their conjecture. Something tells me that you would rather watch two guys argue at the table than run racks, I hope not but to each there own Jeff. I also noticed u stated earlier that u taught me everything I know opine? I guess this forum is a fairytale place for u to let yer imagination run wild. I hang wit people who mean what they say - n - say what they mean. There really is no median for the mode with this Jeff, your either honest or knot'.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Danny Harriman is a stooge sent to destroy this thread.

I watched a a documentary on sanitariums and the conditions the less fortunate were once forced to endure. It was far easier to have someone condemned to those sorts of places before the world became so, "civilized".

But let's consider what might happen if you were asked to report on ESPN about a sports record being broken and you replied with:

- mentions of "fake news"
- rodents
- shit-hawks
- government conspiracies
- how you are circling high above some psychedelic field infested with chipmunks on (presumably) Icarus wings (or perhaps in a jetpack), while sanding slate because your toenails are already sharp and ready.

One might suggest a trip to London's Bethlem Royal Hospital me'thinks.