Empty Seats

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great event but there are definitely some big turnoffs for the fans. Here are a few examples:

1) Player timeouts in the middle of rack. This, to me, is absolutely ridiculous. A competitive, tense, exciting rack can be interrupted by this as was the case when Sanchez-Ruiz took a mid-rack break in the semifinal against Kaci during a safety battle. Timeouts are mostly for team games and are used chiefly for strategy discussions and clock management, neither of which apply to pool. Bathroom breaks should be permitted, as they are in tennis, but never in the middle of a game. The play is the thing and mid-rack breaks stink for fans. In pool, most breaks are taken for gamesmanship/momentum/psychology reasons anyway, and commentator Mark Wilson often takes note of it, once remarking "I think that's a good time for him to take his break, as the match seems to be getting away from him."

Totally agree, but at least (thank God) they're now using the MagicRack, which eliminates those endless racking and re-racking performances by the likes of Dechaine and Hatch. I can't believe there still are tournaments that use the wooden racks.

2) The match schedule is rarely adhered to, and I don't mean matches that start late because other matches hold them up. The first match of the evening session, which is never held up by another match, seemed to always start well after the announced time. In one case this week, you could watch the players warming up for over half an hour after the scheduled start time, so the match wasn't held up by the absence of the players. There is also too much time between matches. The result of all this is that a lot of matches go into the wee hours of the morning, and whether I'm there, or watching on the stream, it often means that I miss these matches, which seem to be played played in front of zero fans.

I bought the entire TV package, but nearly every "10:30" match ran so late that it was almost impossible to stay up and watch more than 1 or 2 of them. And while I know the scheduling is tough to do with all the surrounding international tournaments, it'd be nice not to have to have the premier event of pool scheduled to compete with the premier event of baseball, AKA The World Series.

3) Commentators, some good and some awful, are always unprepared, knowing little about player accomplishments, little about the head-to-head history between the competitors, and even less about the lives of the players. Mark Wilson spent a lot of time talking about the jet-lag issue during a Ko Pin-Yi match, often trying to explain away some mistakes, but the truth is that Ko Pin-Yi, who had played in the event at Gotham in Brooklyn, NY, the week before, had already been in the USA for at least two weeks. This is all a shame for both stream-buyers and the attendees, who generally buy the headsets so they can listen to the commentary, which is badly uninformed. Either get commentators who closely follow the pro pool tournament scene or arm commentators with fact sheets that enable them to offer insights about the players, their accomplishments, etc.

I've gotta say that other than JJ and (sometimes) Mark, the commentating has gone way downhill since Grady and "Incardon" were in their primes. I love Danny D, but he seemed about half there much of the time, mixing up balls and predicting strange shot choices.

But at least Danny D can be entertaining, and his knowledge of the game is unsurpassed. What was the excuse for some of those morning match commentators? I've never heard commentating that sorry in my entire life. They brought NOTHING to the event except a lot of rambling on about nothing.

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all tournaments should be single elimination, with a bit longer of a race.

I also really liked the break format they had at the US Open this year.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who owns the US Open now? Is it Pat Fleming, the Behrmans, or maybe they are co-owners?

The Behrmans own a 100% of the open, Pat is just the tournament director, I also heard Pat say he does not own any part of the open.

Speaking as someone who's attended the Open, albeit many moons ago, I love the fact that they end it on Saturday now, allowing folks to have a day to recuperate and return home on Sunday. For the working stiffs, I do like that format much better.

I don't know if they could shorten the week to make it happen in 4 days, like Mike Zuglan's $25,000-added Joss Tour Turning Stone events. I do like the fact that there are only two business days missed if you attend that tournament.

Keith said this is the toughest field at the Open he's ever seen. I'm thinking they should raise the entry fee to $1,000 a man and shorten the player field. I'll bet it fills up way ahead of time, like Zuglan's Turning Stone events do, if they did that. Just a thought.

As far a fans and spectators, pool has never attracetd the masses. We're a small sub-culture in society. Though we are very passionate about pool, 99 percnet of the world has no idea who Efren Reyes or Earl Strickland or Ronnie O'Sullivan or Ralf Souquet is.

I bet a lot more know who Ronnie is.

Just to bear out what you're saying about the game we love..........I happened to mention to some people at a social event that I was planning on going to the Super Billiards Expo in 2018.
3 or 4 of them said...."Will Minnesota Fats be there?"
That about says it all....:shrug:
:thumbup:

Lol, that is funny.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting old, paying taxes, and trying to make ends meet. We're in the autumn of our lives, and the leaves are starting to fall off. ;)

We're actually doing well. Life is good. Keith says we never get past Whole Foods, but I remind him that at least we have a roof over our heads and are eating well. We are both working on health. In fact, we're getting ready to take a walk right now with our dog. Trying to stay fit and healthy. That's the name of the game after you reach 60. :)

Keith's hit a few local tourneys. He misses pool. There's a few cool events in our neck of the woods. He likes one-hole mostly.

Tell Keith he needs to put the O's hat back on lololol!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting old, paying taxes, and trying to make ends meet. We're in the autumn of our lives, and the leaves are starting to fall off. ;)

We're actually doing well. Life is good. Keith says we never get past Whole Foods, but I remind him that at least we have a roof over our heads and are eating well. We are both working on health. In fact, we're getting ready to take a walk right now with our dog. Trying to stay fit and healthy. That's the name of the game after you reach 60. :)

Keith's hit a few local tourneys. He misses pool. There's a few cool events in our neck of the woods. He likes one-hole mostly.

Hey Jammy, how old is Mickey and is he fixed?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I spectated most every us open from 1996-till 2012 (might have missed 2 or 3 during that run. Most years I would spend 3-4 days there, sometimes I would be there all week. That was when the entrants were close to 200 or over. Why they need a week for 150 players is beyond me.

As you stated expensive. I would rather watch a stream now.

You see the same older people at every major U.S tournaments...year after year, after year. As the die off or get major health problems...there is no one to replace them.

Also, who the hell can get the time off or afford a frigging week to travel, stay in a hotel for 7 days, eat more than 20 meals dinning out misc? Seven (7) days and nights for a 150 player tournament is waaaay to long. Johnnyt

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament is held in the middle of nowhere and it costs a small fortune to spend 9 or 10 days there or whatever it is now.
I went once and loved it, and could have afforded to go the last 16 years, but I can't see paying twice what a room is worth just because they have you stuck out there.
I would think you would rather rent 500 rooms at 100 a night than 100 rooms at 175 a night, but I always seem to think backwards to the "smart" people.
So instead of getting me for 17,000 worth of rent in 17 years , they got 2000.00 for one year.
What am I missing here?