RIP Club Billiards.....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha. So what changed in one week?!
Same owner. They're axing the kitchen and bar. Will sell beer, pop, snacks etc. Said they're just having to streamline to bring down costs. It is an awesome spot. Gotta go by if ever in Wichita.

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was very odd timing.

I'd speculate it had something to do with someone not wanting to stake the big match.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was very odd timing.

I'd speculate it had something to do with someone not wanting to stake the big match.
Seriously? They've been struggling with Tiny's passing and business had been down a while. When they expanded they added food and other things that weren't paying much back. Do you live/play there? I live in Tulsa but know players sponsored by Club so i keep pretty up to date on what's up. Unless you have facts of some sort please spare us your speculations.

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously? They've been struggling with Tiny's passing and business had been down a while. When they expanded they added food and other things that weren't paying much back. Do you live/play there? I live in Tulsa but know players sponsored by Club so i keep pretty up to date on what's up. Unless you have facts of some sort please spare us your speculations.

Come on don't get all butt hurt.

I don't play there and never had been there but the timing with such an epic match and the closing, and now the re-opening after match is cancelled just seemed odd.

Anyway, I am glad they are re-opening. If I ever get out that way I will surely stop in.

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Wonderful

That's great news, Now how about we help them with a little internet presence management. I tried calling but the phone sounds disconnected or off the hook. If you can use your grapevine I'll be glad to do the work as I need a pool hall to use as an example.

Do you know anything about the Copper cue?

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He does not know much

Do you know who Tiny is? That he passed away? Do you know how much he loved the game, helped tourneys around the country? Do you know how much he helped players? If so, no matter what you know about running a business or making money, you are worth less than the shit that passes through sewer pipes.

Balls must be a clueless millennial. Hey Balls try being nice for a change.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same owner. They're axing the kitchen and bar. Will sell beer, pop, snacks etc. Said they're just having to streamline to bring down costs. It is an awesome spot. Gotta go by if ever in Wichita.

I reopened Salt City Billiards in Syracuse following a fire in the 26 year location in February 2017.

I went the less is more route as above.

-Limited kitchen with simple foods that don't spoil (minimal losses). You need food to sell alcohol, but it can be limited. We do sandwiches, salad, breakfast sandwiches, BLTs, microwave burgers, hot dogs, fries, mozzarella sticks, soft pretzels and the wife makes great specials during our busy season September to May.

-Lots of packaged junk food; chips, candy, ice cream, cookies...doesn't go bad and we sell a lot to guys who just want a snack.

-Soda, beer and several non beer alcoholic beverages...no booze. The extra stock and insurance costs for hard alcohol are huge. Figure another 20k in salary for a bartender on busy nights and 4k a year liquor insurance. How much do you need to sell to cover an easy 4k a month in costs? Plus we dont want the damage and stresses from the drunks.

- We run the operation with a single employee per shift. My wife and I work a couple shifts a week. Pay out 78 hours salary to employees.

I bought out the old room's equipment cheap due to the fire sale. Sold what wasn't needed and sold sever 9 tables. I replaced the gold crowns with 7 Diamonds over these first 2 years. We have 17 tables, lights, cues, cue racks and wall mount drink tables that in total cost 40k, considering the value of what was sold off.

I rented a space in a fully occupied older strip mall which borders Syracuse . We did a ton of demo, construction and buildout, which affords a very reasonable rent.

With all this our monthly nut is under 12k, includes all costs. I can't see opening a room on a bigger scale here ever lasting. Pool is about 40% of what it was 20 years ago. Getting smaller all the time. We have all the better players as old timers. They , along with the recreational players, keep us going.