What is inside a CF Meucci shaft

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who wanted to know . . . here is the inside of a new CF Meucci shaft . . . this one came to me broken and we cut it open . . . ha.

Attachments

• front end.jpg
    front end.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,325
  • epoxy holding wood plug pressed into foam.jpg
    epoxy holding wood plug pressed into foam.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,243
  • rear brass insert and brass weight.jpg
    rear brass insert and brass weight.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,294
  • rear brass weight.jpg
    rear brass weight.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,234
  • center drill filled with foam.jpg
    center drill filled with foam.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,243

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing that.

Now I wonder what is inside the other brands to make them "different".

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Mu jacoby black has a xray shot of its inside
Looks like a big wood core also

It doesnt make me think any less of them
I gotta a custom cf in the works and cant wait

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed...way cool for you to do and share. Thanks.

But...

How did it break!? I love me some cue-must-pay stories.

So it is a laminated wood for the first few inches and then filler from there to threads? And the filler density changes from Tip--> thread end?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Agreed...way cool for you to do and share. Thanks.

But...

How did it break!? I love me some cue-must-pay stories.

So it is a laminated wood for the first few inches and then filler from there to threads? And the filler density changes from Tip--> thread end?

I don't think it's laminated, that looks like growth ring grain. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a carbon fiber shaft.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it's laminated, that looks like growth ring grain. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a carbon fiber shaft.

Near interesting...I think the area at the tip shows near identical spacing, but then as you look lower, the uniform pattern does appear far more natural.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Near interesting...I think the area at the tip shows near identical spacing, but then as you look lower, the uniform pattern does appear far more natural.

They designed it to maintain their famous "Meucci roll". God knows what that other stuff is. Looks like something out of a clogged drain. I hope PFD used an N95 working on that thing.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I can only imagine how they got here.

The were sitting around the boardroom one day and someone said "I know, let's make a carbon fiber shaft". And then someone said "I know, let's make a wooden shaft and make it look like carbon fiber." and someone said "why waste all that wood? Let's make a carbon fiber shaft, plug it with our unusable wood, and stuff it with shit we find." And someone said "why didn't I think of that?" and high fives for all.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The were sitting around the boardroom one day and someone said "I know, let's make a carbon fiber shaft". And then someone said "I know, let's make a wooden shaft and make it look like carbon fiber." and someone said "why waste all that wood? Let's make a carbon fiber shaft, plug it with our unusable wood, and stuff it with shit we find." And someone said "why didn't I think of that?" and high fives for all.

Sounds plausible.

Especially if you have seen their normal LD setup.

main-qimg-6dd335a9b61671ad1a2ac85dc769fad3.webp

It allows the ferrule to "flex" out of the way of the cb. :thumbup:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's high tech "power piston technology" right there :p

Sometimes I think it would be incredibly hard to make a great pool cue that people love, but maybe not as hard as I think, seeing the inside of the revo was a little disappointing, but dang what is this muck inside, lol

I got a good belly laugh from "power piston technology" and this pic
main-qimg-6dd335a9b61671ad1a2ac85dc769fad3.webp
thank you both.
And a big thanks to Paul for the thread.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Making any sounds when hitting?

Was it making a lot of clanking before it broke? There is a lot of gaps in there. Also wonder what the joint was attached glued to. Looked like foam of some sort.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member

:rotflmao::rotflmao1::rotflmao:

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to link to another forum, but there is a nice post in a FB discussion group where a guy x-ray'd a few of the CF shafts. I've saved the post, drop me a PM and I'll send a link.

From this post, only the Meucci has wood. Foam is universal.