Pechauer 11.8 CF weight and deflection?

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I've tried the Rogue on a Pechauer cue and it felt very front heavy, which surprised me. Could have been lack of weight in the butt if the cue but it was different for sure.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I measured it with a more precise scale.

Pechauer Rogue 11.8 mm with radial joint: 3.82 oz
Jacoby Black also with radial joint: 3.77 oz

My Rogue 11.8 has the Pechauer Pro (piloted) joint, and is 4.76 oz. Seems like the joint insert has a big effect on overall weight.

EDIT: Also I'm an idiot and forgot to mention it's 30" long, so the extra inch probably weighs something.

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
My Rogue 11.8 has the Pechauer Pro (piloted) joint, and is 4.76 oz. Seems like the joint insert has a big effect on overall weight.

Wait.. what?! 4.76oz for a 11.8mm shaft? I’ve never owned a shaft that heavy even at 13mm. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's mine. Forgot to mention in previous posts, it's also 30" long, so I'm not sure how the extra inch plays into the taper.

https://imgur.com/i7WP2E2

Thank you for the picture. Apparently it's identical to the P+ Lite.

And yeh the pin matters, although that probably shouldn't to most. But, I try to use those Radial G10 pins whenever possible (they do have great tensile strength).

I guess now finding an X-Ray or video comparison of it would help, but it's apparently a moot point as it seems pretty LD.

G10 pin... (note if anyone knows of a lighter joint solution than the Radial G10 please post)
https://www.cuestik.com/store/product.asp?ITEM_ID=5955&DEPARTMENT_ID=96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait.. what?! 4.76oz for a 11.8mm shaft? I’ve never owned a shaft that heavy even at 13mm. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing.

The joint really can matter that much. Go to cuestick.com and compare weights of all joint pieces. I did it once and if I remember correctly you could achieve 1.4 ounces in the joint alone, which I guess is good'ish for a "stiff" hit. I could be wrong about that, but I do know that at least on cuestick.com the lightest I could find was an typical radial setup using the G10.

EDIT: Wait, that 1.4oz did include the pieces on the butt (ie. the pin) not just the shaft, so.... yeh that 4.76 seems REALLY heavy (bad scale?).

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
The joint really can matter that much. Go to cuestick.com and compare weights of all joint pieces. I did it once and if I remember correctly you could achieve 1.4 ounces in the joint alone, which I guess is good'ish for a "stiff" hit. I could be wrong about that, but I do know that at least on cuestick.com the lightest I could find was an typical radial setup using the G10.

EDIT: Wait, that 1.4oz did include the pieces on the butt (ie. the pin) not just the shaft, so.... yeh that 4.76 seems REALLY heavy (bad scale?).

I think the scale is good, it's a kitchen food scale and seems to be reliable for measuring out ingredients for baking.

As I mentioned it's a 30" shaft, so the extra inch would weigh something.

Also possibly relevant: Pechauer recalled these shafts after I got my first one, saying the early ones had some interior component near the joint insert that was coming loose and rattling around inside the shaft. They changed the design and a material choice, if I recall, before sending me a new one. So it might be significantly heavier than before?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the scale is good, it's a kitchen food scale and seems to be reliable for measuring out ingredients for baking.

As I mentioned it's a 30" shaft, so the extra inch would weigh something.

Also possibly relevant: Pechauer recalled these shafts after I got my first one, saying the early ones had some interior component near the joint insert that was coming loose and rattling around inside the shaft. They changed the design and a material choice, if I recall, before sending me a new one. So it might be significantly heavier than before?
Need a better scale. I use a electronic jewelry scale. I've cross checked its readout against a Ohaus triple-beam and its dead-on. About 15-20bux on Amazon.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can use a coin. I've read several times in the past that the tolerance is .005 grams and I literally just found out that the weights are regulated (I guess I would of thought that if I thought about it).

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/coin-specifications

From that link I've learned what the edge of a dime is called... "Reeded". I always used grooved or notch or anything but reeded.

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Need a better scale.

Strong eyeroll.

I weighed pocket change on the same scale until I pretty much matched the shaft's weight. The scale says 7 quarters, 19 nickels, and a dime weigh 4.79oz together. The US mint says those coins weigh 4.82oz together.

So if it makes you guys happy, we can apply a 0.03oz fudge factor to my obviously inadequate scale, and call the shaft 4.79oz instead of 4.76.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strong eyeroll.

I weighed pocket change on the same scale until I pretty much matched the shaft's weight. The scale says 7 quarters, 19 nickels, and a dime weigh 4.79oz together. The US mint says those coins weigh 4.82oz together.

So if it makes you guys happy, we can apply a 0.03oz fudge factor to my obviously inadequate scale, and call the shaft 4.79oz instead of 4.76.

Then so it is and with 1 extra inch and the below, 4.76 seems correct (I forgot about that extra inch).
The joint is this one?
pro-with-tip.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Then so it is and with 1 extra inch and the below, 4.76 seems correct (I forgot about that extra inch).
The joint is this one?
pro-with-tip.jpg

Yeah, that's the joint, although the protruding (piloting?) part of the shaft insert in the photo looks oddly tilted; mine in real life looks square to the shaft face.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have been saying that about the Revo 12.9 vs. 12.4. I don’t really believe it until I see something other than claims made on AZ, especially since the one thing we know for sure about deflection is that lower end mass = lower deflection, and the 12.4 tip should have lower end mass than 12.9. It could be true that the 12.9 has lower deflection than the 12.4, but most people “measure” deflection by taking a couple of shots and then making a grand pronouncement.

It seems everyone assumes that the wall thickness is the same on the 12.9 and 12.4. Do we know if this is the case?

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems everyone assumes that the wall thickness is the same on the 12.9 and 12.4. Do we know if this is the case?

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I'm going to assume that for sure. The only way to know is to saw 2 of them open and use a caliper, but even then the difference will be so small that even if it was intentional, how would you not attribute it to error?

Pechauer is apparently not fourth coming at all on any data what so ever about construction, they just give you that hazy overview. It's absolutely disappointing that companies will not give you all the information they have, it's a facade of grandeur. Unless it's even more concerning than that....

Pechauer may have contracted out the entire thing to who ever, and considering they're hiding behind an NDA on their own product, which is such a simple object....??? These "ROGUE" shafts may very well be rebadged Chinese shafts off of AliExpress... rogue. There is several types on Aliexpress (2 distinct molds though), so I'm going to buy 2 of them, saw 1 in half, then post the pictures of a $75 Chinese CF shaft. At the very least, everyone can see what they can get for $75 in CF.

Last edited: