Cyclop Balls

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard the North American distributor for Cyclop talking earlier today about these balls.

He said they are 85% phenolic resin as compared to Aramith's 50 something % which he claims will mean better performance and durability.

Also, he said the Hyatt Ball Company (NY) partnered with Cyclop sending their (Hyatt) people to China to teach Cyclop workers how to make the balls. Hyatt has been around a long time. Actually, l didn't realize they were still in biz.

This fellow also commented on cue ball weight saying the Cyclop cue ball is a matched weight to the set at 169 and the measel ball is a little light at I think 166. I was under the impression that the measel ball was slightly heavier than Aramiths so does this mean there is a sizeable gap in weight between aramith vs cyclop?

BTW, I've been referring to the company as "Cyclop" without an "s" because that is, in fact how they spell it.

best,
brian kc

I really like the look of these balls and wouldn't mind trying out a set.

Was there any mention of what a set will retail for?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Those ones where depending on how you hold them you couldn't get a signal?

Seems to me that's a design problem, from Cupertino as stated on the phones, and not a manufacturing problem.

Regarding the amount of resin in the balls I highly doubt that Aramith balls have only 50% phenolic resin in them. I get skeptical on claims like this and would like to see the proof. I am not even sure how one goes about figuring that out. Do you burn the balls and analyze the smoke?

But I can tell you that I have done a bounce test as shown to me by a ball maker here and Aramith balls when dropped all bounce almost equally. Bad sets of balls don't bounce equally at all. The best phenolic balls from that manufacturer bounced equally and furthermore they bounced the same height as the Aramiths.

On the table no one could tell the difference in play between the Aramiths and the Chinese high quality balls. I was told that the resin used was Japanese though and therefore pure and high quality.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any feedback from the BCA and/or US Open regarding the new balls?

Daniel from povpool did a live online interview before. They said they are a higher % of phanolic than araimith ,the pro players had said they got less skid with these. They seem to like how they play. Time will tell

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Daniel from povpool did a live online interview before. They said they are a higher % of phanolic than araimith ,the pro players had said they got less skid with these. They seem to like how they play. Time will tell

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Less skid is definitely a good thing,

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I would like to see the figures from a spherical micrometer.....
..they need to be within 5/1,000 of perfect round to be world legal...
...I think

I'm half Irish so I'm a bit offended about the 6 and 14 ball...:eek:
....ya call that GREEN?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You mean the balls break and crack if you drop them just like the iPhones?

If they are the quality of iPhones you can forget about washing them. They will never roll again :rolleyes:

I have dropped my ipod and the ipad several times without them breaking or cracking. The ipod was dropped out of a third story window, hit a wall and then the ground and only has minor scratches. I tripped in the mall and the ipad went flying about 15ft landed, bounced and slid to a stop. I doubt you can find many devices that can take much more abuse than that and still survive.

In contrast my motorola was broken twice after dropping and landing on the super weak power button, a common occurrence after a little searching on the subject of how to fix it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any feedback from the BCA and/or US Open regarding the new balls?

The balls play pretty good.

I was actually dubious about them when it was announced they were replacing Aramith as a CSI sponsor. But at the US One Pocket Open, I did not see any ball roll off and saw fewer skids than normal. I would say that they play a bit different, but then all ball sets, even the different sets from Aramith, all have slightly different playing characteristics. I think once you have a few hours with these, you're going to like them.

As to the colors, only six of the balls are different than the traditional colors.

Lastly, by way of background, these balls have been in development for five years. What happened was that Cyclop bought the old Hyatt centrifuges and I believe other equipment. Hyatt was the company that made the Centennials back in the 60's and I believe was the preferred set of balls Willie Mosconi would take with him on his exhibition tours.

The kicker is that Cyclop even found one of Hyatt's guys, he's like 92, and he taught them how to run the equipment and perhaps about the phenolic resin formula and the art of making pool balls. Lastly, the first batches are reputedly coming out of the Cyclop factory at higher, tighter tolerances than Aramiths :-o

Now the question is one of durability and how they will play over the long haul. I'm guessing these are going to become very popular balls and may become the new industry standard. And believe me: I was not a believer before.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was actually dubious about them when it was announced they were replacing Aramith as a CSI sponsor. But at the US One Pocket Open, I did not see any ball roll off and saw fewer skids than normal. I would say that they play a bit different, but then all ball sets, even the different sets from Aramith, all have slightly different playing characteristics. I think once you have a few hours with these, you're going to like them.

As to the colors, only six of the balls are different that the traditional colors.

Lastly, by way of background, these balls have been in development for five years. What happened was that Cyclop bought the old Hyatt centrifuges and I believe other equipment. Hyatt was the company that made the Centennials back in the 60's and I believe was the preferred set of balls Willie Mosconi would take with him on his exhibition tours.

The kicker is that Cyclop even found one of Hyatt's guys, he's like 92, and he taught them how to run the equipment and perhaps about the poly-resin formula and the art of making pool balls. Lastly, the first batches are coming out of the Cyclop factory at higher, tighter tolerances than Aramiths :-o

Now the question is one of durability and how they will play over the long haul. I'm guessing these are going to become very popular balls and may become the new industry standard. And believe me: I was not a believer before.

Lou Figueroa
Who is Cyclop's owner?

I have heard it is the owner of Diamond, any truth to that?

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info in this thread, seems the only thing a bit off with these is the colors. I guess it is an interesting mix and I'm sure pool rooms will like them (I can see the girls coming in and saying how adorable and cute they look).

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I spoke with Frost before his match yesterday and asked what he thought of the Cyclops balls and he said he liked them and they were the best he had played with because they do not skid like other balls, something about holding chalk. I have not tried them yet but I did notice they were still using the measles cue ball.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seems to me that's a design problem, from Cupertino as stated on the phones, and not a manufacturing problem.

Regarding the amount of resin in the balls I highly doubt that Aramith balls have only 50% phenolic resin in them. I get skeptical on claims like this and would like to see the proof. I am not even sure how one goes about figuring that out. Do you burn the balls and analyze the smoke?
But I can tell you that I have done a bounce test as shown to me by a ball maker here and Aramith balls when dropped all bounce almost equally. Bad sets of balls don't bounce equally at all. The best phenolic balls from that manufacturer bounced equally and furthermore they bounced the same height as the Aramiths.

On the table no one could tell the difference in play between the Aramiths and the Chinese high quality balls. I was told that the resin used was Japanese though and therefore pure and high quality.

jb;

this may be something that has been disclosed (or spied?) as being part of aramith's formula.

or the smoke analyzer. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Mark part owner of Diamond also? Is CSI all of Marks or does Greg own part of it too?
I'm confused but curious.

I am not privy to whatever partnership arrangements they may or may not have.

My general impression is that Mark may have some interest in Diamond, but I really do not know.

Give Mark a couple of weeks for the tournament dust to settle and ask him. He is very forthcoming on those subjects he feels at liberty to talk about.

Lou Figueroa

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As to the colors, only six of the balls are different than the traditional colors.

The kicker is that Cyclop even found one of Hyatt's guys, he's like 92, and he taught them how to run the equipment and perhaps about the poly-resin formula and the art of making pool balls. Lastly, the first batches are coming out of the Cyclop factory at higher, tighter tolerances than Aramiths :-o

Lou Figueroa

I spoke with Frost before his match yesterday and asked what he thought of the Cyclops balls and he said he liked them and they were the best he had played with because they do not skid like other balls, something about holding chalk. I have not tried them yet but I did notice they were still using the measles cue ball.

Thanks for the info guys. I look forward to getting my hands on a set.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not privy to whatever partnership arrangements they may or may not have.

My general impression is that Mark may have some interest in Diamond, but I really do not know.

Give Mark a couple of weeks for the tournament dust to settle and ask him. He is very forthcoming on those subjects he feels at liberty to talk about.

Lou Figueroa

Thanks for the response. I thought about deleting my post because while I am curious it's none of my business anyway.

Again, thanks for the response though.