cleveland players of the past......

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Leil Gay and Mark Maryo were both very good players. Leil passed away (too young) and I think Mark is still around, just not traveling any more. He used to go to all the tournaments in the Midwest.

Rambow

Registered
billy stover stories!!!!!!!

dont forget brad the mover

late 80s early 90s great matches and some action there was a place on w 150 right by jr s house called winners everybody would go there anton weber was a great trick shot and 9 ball guy learned straight pool from jr and tommy parker i heard. rick mcguire crazy guy, lol if he would miss a shot he would change his tip right there. bill the bartender would get games for people... anybody remember that place ?

I worked at Winners for a few months. If you know how I could contact Anton that would be nice. He was a very nice guy and we talked for hours. JR ( Leil Gay ) was allowed to play anytime he felt like at no charge.
He practiced straight pool for hours every day and had runs between 1-2 hundred on a very regular basis. He passed away last year. I knew and played most of the top players from the 60’s to today.

Rambow

Registered
Leil Gay and Mark Maryo were both very good players. Leil passed away (too young) and I think Mark is still around, just not traveling any more. He used to go to all the tournaments in the Midwest.

Hi Jay, Mark recently retired last fall and is now able to play much more. He still plays strong and wins local tournaments. In fact I’ll probably see him tomorrow at a local scotch doubles tournament. It’s a 100. entry with 64 pairs of strong players. I’m assuming he’ll be there.

Rambow

Registered
Whatever twitch in his stroke you saw sure did work for him.
He played any player from anywhere for any amount. He sent top rode players home broke.

Rambow

Registered
Herbie Cue played at Northfield lanes for years. He was an excellent player and gambler. Buddy Wallace was in his prime in the 1940’s he played in straight pool tournaments but he wasn’t a gambler. As he aged in the 70’s & 80’s he spent hours daily at Cloverleaf lanes teaching and helping young players. And Morgan is a legend and world beater.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I played at, Danny Vegh's Hippodrome in Cleveland in 1968.

The 3C action was just ok.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I was downtown a couple of years ago and that big bowling alley / pool hall on Euclid and E 4th? was being renovated into something, probably not a pool hall. It had big bowling pins stuck to the outside of the building, if my memory is correct.

I'm curious....What is it now?

AND....And I am curious as to what that place was in its heyday and if it was a good pool hall....Anyone know the history of it?

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

bstroud

Deceased
I was downtown a couple of years ago and that big bowling alley / pool hall on Euclid and E 4th? was being renovated into something, probably not a pool hall. It had big bowling pins stuck to the outside of the building, if my memory is correct.

AND....And I am curious as to what that place was in its heyday and if it was a good pool hall....Anyone know the history of it?

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

Jeff,

That’s the pool room I played Steve Cook and Raymond in.
Seemed like a great room.

Bill S.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Jeff,

That’s the pool room I played Steve Cook and Raymond in.
Seemed like a great room.

Bill S.

What year was that, Bill?

As I looked at it and learned that Euclid was the richest street in America as far as those who lived on it back when Cleveland was hot, I was imagining what great pool games must have happened there with great players and lots of money when it was really rocking, so to speak.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Livingston

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston
What your referring to is The Corner Alley it is an upscale Bowling Alley featuring 16 lanes high end food, video games and I think a few antique style Pool tables. It is on the corner of E.4th and Euclid. East 4th has all Top notch restaurants up and down both sides of the street. Michael Symon the Iron Chef has a BBQ place there called Maybels.

bstroud

Deceased

As I looked at it and learned that Euclid was the richest street in America as far as those who lived on it back when Cleveland was hot, I was imagining what great pool games must have happened there with great players and lots of money when it was really rocking, so to speak.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Livingston

Jeff,

Had to be in the early 60’s.

Bill S.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Livingston

I lived on Euclid Avenue in East Cleveland (at 131st St) from 1968-70. It was not a rich street when I was there (lol).
I played at Danny Vegh's Hippodome downtown regularly.
As trivia, did you ever notice how a lot of big city pool rooms were located on a lower level or on a second floor?
This is a carryover from the Prohibition days when room owners sought lower rent to stay in business.
By the way, Euclid Ave downtown nowadays is a genuine happenin' place again!

Will Prout

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
What your referring to is The Corner Alley it is an upscale Bowling Alley featuring 16 lanes high end food, video games and I think a few antique style Pool tables. It is on the corner of E.4th and Euclid. East 4th has all Top notch restaurants up and down both sides of the street. Michael Symon the Iron Chef has a BBQ place there called Maybels.

Yep, that's it. Is it still there?...with pool, that is. It was being re-done when I saw it, but couldn't tell from looking through he windows what they were doing exactly.

We ate at that restaurant. Nice with good food, but pricey. Saw the Indians beat the Yankees in 14 innings.

Jeff Livingston