Naturally straight stroke vs learned straight stroke

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course not, but two of the three master instructors who posted in this thread have PBIA MASTER INSTRUCTOR in their signature, so every post they make it's there, so really not that hard to figure out what's available. You could also make a thread asking about available instructors in your area.

I would hope if someone posted a video of themselves playing pool in the "ask an instructor" subforum here, they would get some type of feedback other than a recommendation to go see a certain instructor(it's hard to give advice without seeing you shoot IMO), if not they might as well change the name of this section to "hire an instructor".

It used to be much worse here years ago. The salesmanship posts ran rampant. I fought aggressively here against that practice because I'm vehemently against it. But instructors aren't the only bad guys here. It works both ways. I've received questions through PM's here from players asking me for advice about a problem they're having. What if they're polling all the instructors through PM's, pinning one against the other? Nah. I'm not biting. My response to them is to post it in the forum so we can all address it publicly.

dquarasr

Registered
I’ve been working on this drill. Draw a straight line from one diamond to the other. Place OB on the cushion on the line on the far side of the table . Place CB on the line near side (not on the cushion - no reason to make this drill any harder than it already is).

If hitting the OB dead nuts on the cue will bounce absolutely straight back.

Line up the shot. Theoretically, when over the shot, the cue should be directly over the near diamond. But with me it’s always ever so slightly right of the diamond. If I “force” my elbow in (left), I’m over the diamond but when I shoot the shot I miss CB right. If I line it up as I see it, then look down at the diamond, the cue is about 1/2” right of the diamond. But shooting the shot results in a much better result at the OB.

WTF?

dquarasr

Registered
Maybe I'm inventing problems to solve that don't really exist. Maybe I'm overthinking things.

Ignoring the problem I described above, I drilled for a while until I was consistently having the CB bounce back pretty straight. On one shot, the CB even came back and rolled over the starting point, which was pretty absolute as far as being on-target. Most shots came back only a couple of degrees off.

With that as the backdrop, I played a few racks of 8, playing against myself. I was out usually in two, sometimes three, innings. And I did what I hadn't done in, well, I can't remember when: broke and ran out. That's not too bad for a APA 4, US 347.

This shelter-in-place is a PITA but at least my game is getting better. Looking forward to getting back in league.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been working on this drill. Draw a straight line from one diamond to the other. Place OB on the cushion on the line on the far side of the table . Place CB on the line near side (not on the cushion - no reason to make this drill any harder than it already is).

If hitting the OB dead nuts on the cue will bounce absolutely straight back.

Line up the shot. Theoretically, when over the shot, the cue should be directly over the near diamond. But with me it’s always ever so slightly right of the diamond. If I “force” my elbow in (left), I’m over the diamond but when I shoot the shot I miss CB right. If I line it up as I see it, then look down at the diamond, the cue is about 1/2” right of the diamond. But shooting the shot results in a much better result at the OB.

WTF?

That's a perceptual thing they have various terms for. Basically you get stereo vision from two eyes that probably aren't identical PLUS your brain tends to fall into the most comfortable "orientation" producing the one eye dominance effect. The easiest way to check that alignment is get down as you normally shoot and wink at the shot; one eye then the other. What you see jumps back and forth indicating how you're oriented in your hologram. You can go from there and make adjustments if it helps.

I happen to believe shooting pool is a leap of faith in the first place and at the granular level, so is stroking a ball. IOW once you're ready to fire, it doesn't so much matter what you're looking at so much as it doesn't trick you into disbelief.

Like most people my age I have unbalanced vision. For pool, I do all the visuals while standing and drop vertically onto the shot line. For drilling, I get down chin over the stick and hold my face as perpendicular as I can. At this point all I can see is the cue ball and the object ball. The leap of faith of course is that I already aimed this sucker to death and the main thing now is to just shoot it. When play/perform - ing, (playing pool is all about performance) I do other checks - so what else is perfect?

I coulda just said Google dominant eye but I felt like typing a couple paragraphs.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess about ten years ago I had Scott Lee do his "video magic" on me. With a collar bone broken in half so my bridge arm is an inch and a half closer to my neck than the other side and arthritis in the hands and thumbs so I can't form a closed bridge he still scoped out my problems with his "product".

Attacking Scott for his "product" shows you really have no idea what your writing about. It reflects upon you, not Scott.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess about ten years ago I had Scott Lee do his "video magic" on me. With a collar bone broken in half so my bridge arm is an inch and a half closer to my neck than the other side and arthritis in the hands and thumbs so I can't form a closed bridge he still scoped out my problems with his "product".

Attacking Scott for his "product" shows you really have no idea what your writing about. It reflects upon you, not Scott.

Skewz me, it was Lee that attacked. Get it right. If you just want to fence, go to that art-guing forum.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was no attack. You're misinformed on the extreme value of video analysis, and until you have an occasion to perhaps SEE for yourself how it works, you'll continue to show your ignorance...IOW, HAMB is the only way to learn (which is patently ridiculous).

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instuctor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Skewz me, it was Lee that attacked. Get it right. If you just want to fence, go to that art-guing forum.