No pool, for how long?

Longest gap from playing pool during you pool playing life.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
I just purchased the 1999 Billiards Yearbook from Jay Halfert. I was reading his article about pool players always coming back to that game. It got me to thinking about gaps in my pool playing life. With a good portion of AZBrs being up in years there should be some big gaps, let's see. What is the longest break you have taken from the game? What was the reason for the break? I have had 3 breaks. 3 years, don't remember why. 5 years, looking for a mate. 12 years, thought I was too old. All 3 were mistakes.

Last edited:

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I No Longer Play, But I Can Still Spell Polo

I have not not played ANY pool in the past 27 months...
Doug
( but I did watch an Accu-Stat DVD of Efren vs Billy Palmer playing one-pocket on Friday )

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Reason?

Smorgass Bored said:
I have not not played ANY pool in the past 27 months...
Doug
( but I did watch an Accu-Stat DVD of Efren vs Billy Palmer playing one-pocket on Friday )

Do you have a reason for not playing? Please, only answer if you would like to make it known. Thanks.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Deal Me IN

jgpool said:
Do you have a reason for not playing? Please, only answer if you would like to make it known. Thanks.

I don't mind saying why I quit. I was no longer competitive (even getting weight) and couldn't make a straight in shot with ball in hand in one pocket.

I have diabetes and my blood sugar fluctuates and affects my game. I'm taking two types of pills that affect my vision and I get dizzy and lightheaded at times. But worse than all that, my knees have given out and I can no longer dance around the table.
Doug
( thank God for poker's popularity..... imo )

Trivia: the last person that I played (and very poorly at that) was Lou Figueroa in Feb. of '05.... (and yesterday I bought a pool cue from Buddy Hall, but I don't know WHY )

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
I took just under 5 years off after college trying to get a job I liked and did the wife and kid thing. I haven't stopped again since then. :)

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
I didn't play alot for the first 4 years of my daughter's life but now I have a table in the house so I got the bug all over again. And a new found love of 14.1. :D

1str8shooter

Registered
I stopped playing after I got my drivers license and started chasing girls.
Picked it up again after high school and played competatively for about 6 yrs. Played occasionally after that, in total about 9 years off. Six of those years were spent helping raise my twin boys. Just started playng again a few months ago:D

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stopped for a year when I switched jobs. then back playing again when some friend of mine invited me to play some pool. it didn't take long before I got my stroke back. just needed a new cue.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I didn't play for about 5 years when I quit drinking, never picked up a stick. Probably should have stayed that way *l*

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I played for about one year, then my local poolhall had to close since the building should be turned into a hotel. This was in 1998 and I didn't play again since Feb 2003.

Guess I will never quit again, I love the game to much.

Avenger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was younger my neighbor had a full sized table in his basement. I played all the time. Then after college my neighbor moved away and I did not play much except in bars. Quit playing in them after some ugly incidents. Quit playing for 12 years. Then one night in a local bar I picked up a cue and beat a bar patron who thought he was the best around in 8 ball. Was not that hard to beat a drunk with a loud mouth. After that a friend asked me to join his league team. I did and I have been playing ever since. I never owned a pool cue until then, now I have half a dozen. It has become addictive. That is always trying to get better.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I screwed up my pool game by getting married. Lost about 2 years. Now I'm not married. Problem solved! :D

Seriously, if pool is an important part of your life, it really sucks to get stuck with anyone who doesn't get that. I'm saving myself for Jasmin now.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i layed off serious pool in 94 and am back now, not 100% because my back operations are getting in the way however once thats sorted out I'll be back in the gym and am going to back to pool full time, this time with a bank roll and looking for action-it will take some time though because my back is stillreal bad, so i was off for 13 years-but still hitem for fun

I have played since 94 alot but with 2-3 month gaps and very little action I wasnt looking to improve, when I did play during my "off" time I was serious while playing but when i set the cue down it didnt matter, I did play once in there for a couple months but my heart wasnt in it, it is now. And during that couple months I played good as I ever did but I had other things to do,

One thing I noticed is when I wasnt playing pool and was fit I could get in stroke easily, right now i'm in terrible condition I weigh the same 245 but unfit and its harder to get in stroke, so when the back is sorted out I'm going to the gym and instead of b.ody building and roids like before I'm going to train to play pool, you cant body build and play because you get to stiff and cant stroke the ball. So I'm changing the gym routein around pool, its time anyways at 40 i dont need to stress my joints anymore, i ruined my knees. the back was a problem since i was a kid.

Now i'm back, looking to take it to the next level and I know I will, i'm much more mature now and not on scared $$$ etc. and mello which is good. pool isnt something that you can stay away from if its in your blood, I took my time off because i hit a dead end in pool and wanted more out of life, I got that so logically its back to pool. I just pool was back, i was surpised at how bad it is.

Last edited:

Driller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit from 92 through 95 because I started racing motocross. Then I quit again from 98 to 2004 because of a new job and new family. I just bought a table and plan on doing most of my playing at home now.

tommy84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had to take a 9 months break because of the mandatory military service.
Shooting around on a 7" coin operated table is not Billiard in my eyes.
When I was stationed at another base I had a poolhall nearby, but it was mainly showboating, having beers and a good time with my comrads.

When I finished my service I went right back to my club and practiced.
The start of my service came at a pretty bad point in my game as I was just putting the final touches on my fundamental skills which was of course then ruined by the just4fun play and cost a lot of time to get it right again instead of practising runouts and 14.1.

Now coming to the end of my 2nd season I'm close to run racks:rolleyes:

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Stopped playing in 1994 when I met my first wife. Spent the next few years in hell & didn't play again until 2006. I don't think I'll quit again, apart from the big quit at the end!;)

PeteW

Registered
I quit playing between '99 and '05 with a few months on and off. I graduated high school and was doing the college thing, then the band thing, then the job and wife thing, then the school thing again. Through all of that I lived in 4 cities and lost touch with everyone I used to shoot with.

In '05 a buddy at work asked me to join his bar league team. Shortly after that I bought a cue again and put an 8' table in the basement, but I still don't have anyone to shoot with that is serious about the game.

My next step is to spend more time in the pool halls (even though part of my argument for getting the table was so I wouldn't be spending all our money at the poolhalls) and gather some friends that can bring me to the next level.

I should have never quit for all those years, but I am almost as good as I used to be after practicing for 18 months.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Driller said:
I quit from 92 through 95 because I started racing motocross. Then I quit again from 98 to 2004 because of a new job and new family. I just bought a table and plan on doing most of my playing at home now.

thats what I did during my off years, played at home from time to time, but its hard to stay competitive playing at home, but its great to stay in-stroke, if you do go out once or twice a week. I'm putting a snooker table in my new house now-that will help me alot and its my favorite game anyways. :)

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Quit from age 16 unitl 56. Played all the time age 13 to 16. Then cars and girls got the attention. Finally at 56 we moved to a house where I could have a table.

poolnut

JimS said:
Quit from age 16 unitl 56. Played all the time age 13 to 16. Then cars and girls got the attention. Finally at 56 we moved to a house where I could have a table.

Looks like Jim takes the cake so far. Anywhere to shoot in Galesburg? I'm only 40 minutes from you.