or pros and cons of each?
some seem to advocate standing square to the the shot
ie your body perpendicular to the shot line
some players seem to stand angled along their shooting stance
behind the shot
is one way better than the other??
your opinions appreciated
This is an edit
To be clear I am talking about how you stand when you address the shot line before you step into the shot
My question has nothing to do with when you are down on the shot on the table
I apologize for any confusion to my question

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
whats the best way??
behind the shot

As long as you have your 3 areas of weight equal. Left foot, right foot and torso weight. If you addressed your shot, and before you pulled the trigger, I should be able to walk up to you and push you sideways w/o moving you body easily.

Look at Rempes stance, I'd never be able to do that, but since his body is balanced, like a tripod or a three legged chair, it's all good. Just make sure when you set your bridge hand on the play surface, it's not bearing your body weight.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
whats the best way??
behind the shot

One thing I would ask you is are you young, fit, perfect weight? The reason for my question is as you get old, maybe do a tour with military, or have a job that trashes your body.

What is perfect "stance" might not be possible. We had this guy who was a BCA Certified Teacher were I live. Most people in the community are over 50 y/o++.

It use to piss me off that he tried to get people to do things that any Olympic
Athlete could do with ease. But say the person had a knee in need of replacement, or back problems, or other physical limitations. This text box stance he expected is not possible. He was a non flexible teacher.

Then you fall back on what works best for you. Improvise, adapt, overcome. BTW I will never see 65 again, my body don't work, or bened with ease like it did at 50 years of age.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
whats the best way??
behind the shot

Pros typically stand angled, one foot forward. I very much do NOT recommend this for amateurs. I recommend standing perpendicular to the "full line" (line of ob/cb centers) first. (And you'll often see pros go perpendicular first on a challenging shot for a few moments, or faster, subtly/quickly as they consider shape or begin their shot routine.)

When I demonstrate, I hold my cue lengthwise in front of me to make a T between the full line and me. With your nose, navel, sternum, etc. perpendicular to the full line, you give yourself the best possible true look at the aim/angle before you bend to shoot, and it's easy to go perpendicular to a rail rather than the full line. (We're talking optimal eyeing of the shot, as we walk toward objects perpendicular to our body targets, no one walks to the post office or the bus stop with their head tilted and one shoulder leaning in, which puts one eye ahead of the other in space.)

The next time you watch amateurs, notice how many are in such a rush to shoot, they lean in while eyeing the shot--and here's the thing--their head and eyes are in very inconsistent positions from shot to shot. Forcing a student to start eyeing every shot perpendicular to the upcoming play is a big percentage-increaser, for most.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as you have your 3 areas of weight equal. Left foot, right foot and torso weight. If you addressed your shot, and before you pulled the trigger, I should be able to walk up to you and push you sideways w/o moving you body easily.

Look at Rempes stance, I'd never be able to do that, but since his body is balanced, like a tripod or a three legged chair, it's all good. Just make sure when you set your bridge hand on the play surface, it's not bearing your body weight.

I'm not sure what "torso weight" is supposed to mean. I've never heard of that term before but if you mean the weight leaning against the table, then you're wrong. The goal is to be in balance at the table. Being in balance does not necessarily mean equal distribution of weight on those particular body parts.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pros typically stand angled, one foot forward. I very much do NOT recommend this for amateurs. I recommend standing perpendicular to the "full line" (line of ob/cb centers) first. (And you'll often see pros go perpendicular first on a challenging shot for a few moments, or faster, subtly/quickly as they consider shape or begin their shot routine.)

When I demonstrate, I hold my cue lengthwise in front of me to make a T between the full line and me. With your nose, navel, sternum, etc. perpendicular to the full line, you give yourself the best possible true look at the aim/angle before you bend to shoot, and it's easy to go perpendicular to a rail rather than the full line. (We're talking optimal eyeing of the shot, as we walk toward objects perpendicular to our body targets, no one walks to the post office or the bus stop with their head tilted and one shoulder leaning in, which puts one eye ahead of the other in space.)

The next time you watch amateurs, notice how many are in such a rush to shoot, they lean in while eyeing the shot--and here's the thing--their head and eyes are in very inconsistent positions from shot to shot. Forcing a student to start eyeing every shot perpendicular to the upcoming play is a big percentage-increaser, for most.
Thanks for the reply Matt
If the pros stand angled why do you not recommend this for amateurs?
At what stage of skill is it ok to be angled?

Island Drive

Silver Member
torso/upper body weight is your core weight

I'm not sure what "torso weight" is supposed to mean. I've never heard of that term before ''(I created that terem years ago to help beginning students understand weight distribution"but if you mean the weight leaning against the table NO I'm not, then you're wrong. The goal is to be in balance at the table. Being in balance does not necessarily mean equal distribution of weight on those particular body parts.

Upper body/core weight, that is displaced between your legs, causing your body to not want to lean one way or the other. Your core is the third leg of your weight distribution. It cannot be too forward or too rearward, it must be centered between your feet. As you know, if you stand up straight and bend forward with out sticking your backside out, you'll fall over. It's like a teeter totter, different bodies are able to stick out their backside more that others. Being aware of your core weight is the 3rd leg.

If you look at a Karate stance, they are in perfect balance when they are set, and ready to deliver a kick. If they had their core weight too forward or rearward, they would not deliver the weight of their kick effectively.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I would ask you is are you young, fit, perfect weight? The reason for my question is as you get old, maybe do a tour with military, or have a job that trashes your body.

What is perfect "stance" might not be possible. We had this guy who was a BCA Certified Teacher were I live. Most people in the community are over 50 y/o++.

It use to piss me off that he tried to get people to do things that any Olympic
Athlete could do with ease. But say the person had a knee in need of replacement, or back problems, or other physical limitations. This text box stance he expected is not possible. He was a non flexible teacher.

Then you fall back on what works best for you. Improvise, adapt, overcome. BTW I will never see 65 again, my body don't work, or bened with ease like it did at 50 years of age.

Sorry to hear about the BCA Teacher. That's one of the reasons why there are no longer any BCA teachers certified. That occasion has to be at least 15 years ago.
Now, everything is PBIA Certified. Hopefully this is a better product than 20 years ago.

randyg

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Upper body/core weight, that is displaced between your legs, causing your body to not want to lean one way or the other. Your core is the third leg of your weight distribution. It cannot be too forward or too rearward, it must be centered between your feet. As you know, if you stand up straight and bend forward with out sticking your backside out, you'll fall over. It's like a teeter totter, different bodies are able to stick out their backside more that others. Being aware of your core weight is the 3rd leg.

If you look at a Karate stance, they are in perfect balance when they are set, and ready to deliver a kick. If they had their core weight too forward or rearward, they would not deliver the weight of their kick effectively.

But it doesn't mean that the weight should be evenly distributed among all three parts.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply Matt
If the pros stand angled why do you not recommend this for amateurs?
At what stage of skill is it ok to be angled?

The pros have hit a million balls PROPERLY and can see the shot and are CONSISTENT in stance.

For any challenging shot I stand perpendicular first. I also am disciplined to stand far enough back from the table to plan shape and angles before I step toward the table. (Starting further back then moving in gives the optical illusion that the upcoming cut is progressively easier as you approach the table, too.)

To answer your question, when perpendicular pre-stance does not make a BIG improvement in your aim and shot making, step in!

--But the other thing is it helps with another discipline, getting the body and arm angles correct. WATCH amateurs who are not only stepped in, their head tilted, making for a poor view of the upcoming shot, but air stroking and fidgeting so that their final stance and alignment to both the cb and ob are in bad shape.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The pros have hit a million balls PROPERLY and can see the shot and are CONSISTENT in stance.

For any challenging shot I stand perpendicular first. I also am disciplined to stand far enough back from the table to plan shape and angles before I step toward the table. (Starting further back then moving in gives the optical illusion that the upcoming cut is progressively easier as you approach the table, too.)

To answer your question, when perpendicular pre-stance does not make a BIG improvement in your aim and shot making, step in!

--But the other thing is it helps with another discipline, getting the body and arm angles correct. WATCH amateurs who are not only stepped in, their head tilted, making for a poor view of the upcoming shot, but air stroking and fidgeting so that their final stance and alignment to both the cb and ob are in bad shape.

Thanks again for the reply

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Fran.

He may be talking about the bodies center of gravity.

https://sciencing.com/three-principles-gravity-affect-body-8452207.html

John :)

I'm pretty sure I know what he's trying to say, John and I do understand the concept of the center of gravity. However, what I'm taking exception to is the equal distribution of weight. That's not true unless you're standing erect. When you bend over, you have to counter the forward torso bend with more weight on the back end in order to be in balance. This is an area that I've studied extensively, both as a player and as a teacher.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... ie your body perpendicular to the shot line...
I apologize for any confusion to my question
I'll nit pick on this point. "Perpendicular to the shot line" is not a clear way to say this. "Perpendicular" refers to the relationship of two lines (or planes). The first line -- the shot line which is the line of the cue stick and the cue ball's path -- is clear enough, but what is your other line?

I think something like "facing the shot squarely with both the hips and shoulders square to shot line" would be clearer. If that's what you meant.

To answer your question, I think that your exact body position when back away from the table and sizing up the shot is not critical. I think it helps a little to be consistent, and I think that if you work on your shot routine consciously your "back away from the table before I step forward" position will become consistent more or less on its own. It is way, way down the list of things to fret about.

How is your fist bridge?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll nit pick on this point. "Perpendicular to the shot line" is not a clear way to say this. "Perpendicular" refers to the relationship of two lines (or planes). The first line -- the shot line which is the line of the cue stick and the cue ball's path -- is clear enough, but what is your other line?

I think something like "facing the shot squarely with both the hips and shoulders square to shot line" would be clearer. If that's what you meant.

To answer your question, I think that your exact body position when back away from the table and sizing up the shot is not critical. I think it helps a little to be consistent, and I think that if you work on your shot routine consciously your "back away from the table before I step forward" position will become consistent more or less on its own. It is way, way down the list of things to fret about.

How is your fist bridge?
Your description above is more accurate and clearer to what I was asking
I appreciate your reply to my question
If by fist bridge you mean a bridge with your hand is in a fist that I use sometimes for draw shots I think it’s fine
I will try to get someone to take a pic of it so you can critique it
If that’s not what you mean I don’t know what a fist bridge is
If you mean closed bridge I think it is fine
Again I will try to get a pic for you to critique

Island Drive

Silver Member
I'm pretty sure I know what he's trying to say, John and I do understand the concept of the center of gravity. However, what I'm taking exception to is the equal distribution of weight. That's not true unless you're standing erect. When you bend over, you have to counter the forward torso bend with more weight on the back end in order to be in balance. This is an area that I've studied extensively, both as a player and as a teacher.

How ever far your back side/weight sticks out, your bending over forward weight, Must offset that. This allows your core weight to be centered between both feet.
Similar to a teeter totter with both kids the same weight....BUT if one kid is heavier than the other kid, then the heavier kid has to sit inward more, if not, then there movement will be ''out of balance'' is all.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
here are some pic bob
fist bridge first
fist bridge.jpg

Attachments

• closed bridge.jpg
    closed bridge.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 215

Island Drive

Silver Member
If by fist bridge you mean a bridge with your hand is in a fist that I use sometimes for draw shots I think it’s fine

Lassiter used a fist bridge (closed bridge hand), when he was ''in close'' to the shot. His bridge hand fingers would Have to be tucked in, otherwise they would of touched the object ball he was adressing. Nip fist bridges are used close in when your only able to swing the cue and inch or so before pulling the trigger.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Have you seen a player who is not turned in, but who stands a bit to one side, then slides over and in? Get dead behind that shot line (or full line) to start, give yourself a chance to see the shot as well as possible, and go straight in.

"Perpendicular to the line" is the same as "head and shoulders to the line", but it's very difficult to square the head and shoulder comfortably to the line, perfectly to the line, with a foot forward! So I ask students to align their whole body because if they are slightly off, so, usually, is their aim. If your feet are even a little off that imaginary T line, the head is different between shots, put differently, you could be looking at the same angle of cut as a few minutes prior and see the target point differently!